View Poll Results: Does your Pre Plus double-type letters or miss them entirely, and do you see lag?

Voters
984. You may not vote on this poll
  • Double-letters ONLY.

78 7.93%
  • Missed letters ONLY.

43 4.37%
  • Input lag ONLY.

8 0.81%
  • Double-letters and missed letters, but NO input lag.

183 18.60%
  • Double-letters and input lag, but NO missed letters.

29 2.95%
  • Missed letters and input lag, but NO double-letters.

41 4.17%
  • Double-letters, missed letters, AND input lag.

434 44.11%
  • No typing problems.

168 17.07%
Page 14 of 21 FirstFirst ... 4910111213141516171819 ... LastLast
  1. vrs
    Global Posts
    20 Global Posts
    Using my thumbnails worked for me too! I have found that if I type by pressing on the individual keys hard with my thumbnails, that the double letter business is a thing of the past. You can experiment and press your finger lightly on a key -- it will cause multiple letters until you lift it. Striking hard and releasing it results in a single letter. It does the trick for me -- hopefully it will for some others.
    I've had my Sprint Pre since launch day and it just started doing double letters about 2 days ago...
    I guess I'm in the minority of the majority...or something like that.

I have the double-type/missing letters issue, but it really doesn't bother me a whole lot. It's fairly easy to backtrack and fix what just happened, and while I do a LOT of texting and some emailing on my phone...It just doesn't bother me as much as it seems to bother some of you.
    Last edited by callmechewy; 04/07/2010 at 11:56 AM.
    Global Posts
    63 Global Posts
    I guess any issue is going to bother some people more than others. I've had my phone for 2 months; however, i'm not a big texter so it took me longer than 30 days to figure out that it wasn't me. I'm close to the breaking point now though. Just dread the hassle of dealing w/Verizon and getting a reffurb.
    Global Posts
    77 Global Posts
    Not since the 1.4.1 update
    If I'm past my 30 day time period, do I have to pay for a new phone or do I get a refurb free?

It's not too bad, only an occasional double type and the rest of the phone is perfect. I'm thinking I should just keep the one I have.

I'm on the 1 year replacement cycle, so who knows what Palm will come out with next year.

Advice/Info?
    Dave
    "Life moves fast. Don't miss a thing" > "Works like nothing else"

Palm IIIxe -> Tungsten T3 -> Lifedrive -> TX -> Verizon Centro -> Verizon Pre+ and TouchPad
    Global Posts
    182 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Greyfox View Post
    Not since the 1.4.1 update
    ???
    ummm a) it's not a software thing
    b) there is no Verizon 1.4.1 yet
    Mine will often skip letters or spaces...its starting to really bug me! I have an original Palm Pre on Sprint.
    Global Posts
    35 Global Posts
    I'm on my 4th device from Verizon.
    1st device it started the double letter thing right out of the box. I assumed it was me getting used to the keyboard - but after 3 weeks it was getting worse, not better. So I went into the store and they replaced it w/ a new device of the shelf.
    2nd device had total keyboard failure within the first 2 hrs.
    3rd device had the double/triple/missing letter issue right away, worse than the 1st device and after 2 weeks I could hardly stand using it to type even a simple web address. I went into the Verizon store again, and they ordered a refurb to be sent to me.
    4th device: The first 3-5 days were great, but then the issue started creeping in again. Now it's more like my 1st device. It's just at the tolerable level, but if it gets worse I just may go crazy.
    This is THE ONLY problem I have with the phone. I love everything else about it, especially now w/ the free hotspot feature. I can't imagine going back to a BBerry, but if this hardware issue isn't fixed/ acknowledged soon, I may be left with no other choice.
    I bought my pre from amazon wireless in mid march. It had the double letters/lag issues immediately. I called Palm, they acknowledged the problem, and suggested I get a replacement from Amazon since I was within the 30 day window. I got the replacement (new phone, not refurb), and it stil has double letter/lag issues, however they are much less frequent. I don't want to exchange for a new one since I fear I will have the exact same problem.
    Global Posts
    281 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mdmogren View Post
    I've had my Sprint Pre since launch day and it just started doing double letters about 2 days ago...
    I noticed this happening on my Sprint Pre after the most recent Facebook update. I Uninstalled it, and no more double letters.
    I've been having the double letter issue .. it's not terrible, but enough to annoy me. So I read this forum and realized it must be a widespread hardware problem, and maybe I got a bad egg. I went in to get a swap. The people at Verizon first did a "soft reboot" and then told me to check it out. It seemed fine, so I took it home. Within hours, it was doing it again so I went to another Verizon. They had no idea what I was talking about, and of course the issue wouldn't duplicate on the spot. So they sent me home and told me to "break the keyboard in." Even worse, they told me that double letters is not a valid reason to send the phone back. So apparently this issue isn't really on their radar?

I also already tried to mash and massage the keyboard. No luck.

I'm still within my 30 day period, so I might end up taking the phone back all together and just getting a (dreaded) droid.
    Global Posts
    182 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mzlou2 View Post
    I've been having the double letter issue .. it's not terrible, but enough to annoy me. So I read this forum and realized it must be a widespread hardware problem, and maybe I got a bad egg. I went in to get a swap. The people at Verizon first did a "soft reboot" and then told me to check it out. It seemed fine, so I took it home. Within hours, it was doing it again so I went to another Verizon. They had no idea what I was talking about, and of course the issue wouldn't duplicate on the spot. So they sent me home and told me to "break the keyboard in." Even worse, they told me that double letters is not a valid reason to send the phone back. So apparently this issue isn't really on their radar?

I also already tried to mash and massage the keyboard. No luck.

I'm still within my 30 day period, so I might end up taking the phone back all together and just getting a (dreaded) droid.
    Don't get a droid, just get a new Pre. Show them this thread and tell them to contact palm (HardBeatz can we get palm's official stamp of flaw on this yet?)
    Update: Went to Verizon and asked for a new phone after Palm told me "it has been come to our notice that it is happening with some of the devices. However, now it has been fixed with new devices. You can contact the Verizon store and get it replaced with a new one." Because this is my third Pre (through no fault of my own! I've just had some bad luck), they refused to exchange it. They told me the keyboard issues are definitely software related, and that Palm doesn't want to publicly acknowledge that because they don't want to admit fault. They also said that the next update should fix it.

I will wait it out for a bit, but if there's no fix by the the end of my 30 day trial period, I'm done trying. This is a ridiculous amount of effort to expend to get a WORKING phone.
    Global Posts
    182 Global Posts
    Update: Went to Verizon and asked for a new phone after Palm told me "it has been come to our notice that it is happening with some of the devices. However, now it has been fixed with new devices. You can contact the Verizon store and get it replaced with a new one." Because this is my third Pre (through no fault of my own! I've just had some bad luck), they refused to exchange it. They told me the keyboard issues are definitely software related, and that Palm doesn't want to publicly acknowledge that because they don't want to admit fault. They also said that the next update should fix it.

I will wait it out for a bit, but if there's no fix by the the end of my 30 day trial period, I'm done trying. This is a ridiculous amount of effort to expend to get a WORKING phone.
    They are wrong, if the vzw store doesn't accept the truth you need to call *611 this is a warenty issue and DEFINITLY HARDWARE not software.
    Quote Originally Posted by MiDoJo View Post
    They are wrong, if the vzw store doesn't accept the truth you need to call *611 this is a warenty issue and DEFINITLY HARDWARE not software.
    How can you be so sure? I don't think either Verizon or Palm is 100% sure.
    Global Posts
    182 Global Posts
    How can you be so sure? I don't think either Verizon or Palm is 100% sure.
    1) software updates have thus far been unable to fix it

2) mashing keys (at the very least temporaraly) fixes the issue

3) the replacements sent out by HardBeatz and crew fixed the issue 99% of the time, and had different keyboard hardware

4) Palm's willingness to send out and accept misfunctioning devices to test to see in it was Hardware or software.

5)
    Palm told me "it has been come to our notice that it is happening with some of the devices. However, now it has been fixed with new devices.
    if it was software they wouldn't have said that. . . it costs them money to do the replacements, it costs nothing for it to be software just time to work out why the software would take a keyboard driven zap and turn it into 2. which also points to the illogic of it being anything but hardware; why would software have a flaw in basic keyboard drivers but only for (en masse) one carrier? Makes more sense that b/c the keyboard hardware is different between the Pre and the Pre Plus (and maybe even some later produced Sprint Pre's) that it would be hardware

6) first hand experience with
    a) a misfunctioning device
    b) a working replacement
    c) simular issues on a variety of other devices (e.g eNv2) which had double type and was fixed in hardware tweak

IMO evidence is overwhelming. What evidence do you have for it to be software?
    Quote Originally Posted by MiDoJo View Post
    What evidence do you have for it to be software?
    Other than what Verizon told me, and their reluctance to let me do a swap, there were a few posts about people downloading certain software, experiencing a double letter issue, and then removing the software and resolving the issue. I admit though, the evidence is pointing more in favor of hardware. If that's the case, why doesn't Palm do a recall? Or at least recognize the issue? OR COMMUNICATE WITH VERIZON.

I also can't help but feel victimized by this whole situation. I wish the two companies would just get on the same page so I didn't have to volley information back and forth and FIGHT for a functioning phone. I spent over an hour last night arguing with the manager at my local Verizon store, and I even had my chat transcript with Palm Tech Support as evidence, and she refused to budge. I've been to three Verizon stores, and they all act like it's my fault.

Verizon told me I can only do one more swap out, and I don't think I'm willing to risk getting another dud and then being stuck with it, even though I LOVE the OS. There are too many posts of people getting a new one, having it work perfectly fine for a few weeks, and then having the issue return.

Thanks for your help though.
    There have been a number of posts by people who have gotten replacement phones, only to have the same problem, or for the problem to show up after a while. Yes, logically, it seems that it should be a hardware issue, but if it is, there are a tremendous number of problem keyboards. It seems to me that the problem is sometimes worse than at other times, meaning maybe something in background is interfering with the keyboard software.

I'm getting tired of mine, but will wait for the Verizon update and if that doesn't fix it, I'll get mine replaced and Verizon shouldn't have any argument.
    I have had my Verizon Pre since the day it came out and noticed the same problems, though not the lag issue except with particular applications (read Word Ace). I exchanged the phone and am still having the same multiples and gaps. This includes using the alt character for ? but ending up with ?n. I was told by Verizon that it was my typing method and that I was the problem. I don't buy it. Would love to find out if there is a fix or an admitted hardware issue.