View Poll Results: Does your Pre Plus double-type letters or miss them entirely, and do you see lag?

Voters
984. You may not vote on this poll
  • Double-letters ONLY.

78 7.93%
  • Missed letters ONLY.

43 4.37%
  • Input lag ONLY.

8 0.81%
  • Double-letters and missed letters, but NO input lag.

183 18.60%
  • Double-letters and input lag, but NO missed letters.

29 2.95%
  • Missed letters and input lag, but NO double-letters.

41 4.17%
  • Double-letters, missed letters, AND input lag.

434 44.11%
  • No typing problems.

168 17.07%
Page 11 of 21 FirstFirst ... 678910111213141516 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by headgamer View Post
    Today is my 29th day I think, so I am going to have to make a decision quickly. Mine has become noticeably more problematic and consistent. If I head to Verizon today and get a new one, I just am concerned that I will have the same problem. Also, I will have to order new Phantomskinz and do that all over again (I am picky about those...).

Also, what about your data and files and apps? How do they get transferred to the new phone?

Anyone?
    Well on one hand, it's a lot cheaper now so you may get a free one too like I did. Seriously though I'd check the new one. Those I have seen and held are noticeably more robust. Interesting possibility- My rep at the store said even live demo models are almost always more rugged to stand the constant abuse. If so I will Always request a demo class model. But maybe that's what they did in this case? I'd give it a shot. You deserve to have a working tool.

Your official apps should be fine, along with contacts etc. too.

I agree with you on the phantom skinz. What's more, the $6.99 deal has expired
    I got my first pre within a couple of days of it being available. I love it. But I immediately had the double letters and, less often, skipped letters (although that may have been me not pushing down enough on the stiff keys). It was happening to a word in almost every sentence. I called verizon withing the 30 day period and the rep said that they did not have any known issues regarding the keyboard. We reset, but it continued and they sent me a new replacement. It worked fine for about a week (I felt a little vindicated since I thought it possibly could be my fault for lagging on the key) but then it started having the same problem. I'm going to call Verizon again and see what they say. It is very frustrating to have to review and correct these typing problems, especially as I'm not very proficient in dragging the small pointer to move the cursor to the letters.
    Sorry about posting before reading the entire thread...I thought I did. Anyway, I just tried the mash and it seems to have fixed it (at least for now?) I was able to type a couple of paragraphs in memo and in sms error free. Hope it lasts...Thanks for the help

Update: I'm starting to see an increase in the doubles again. Not back to the original amount, but more than after I first "mashed" the keys. I'm also skeptical that this is a software issue...
    Last edited by BBell; 03/19/2010 at 04:02 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by copasetic View Post

I agree with you on the phantom skinz. What's more, the $6.99 deal has expired
    copasetic,

Why the frown? Although not "quite as inexpensive", we do have a spring special giving 25% off and all Internet orders still come with 2 kits with every order. Discount code = "spring25", all lower case. $7.46 for 2 screen protectors =

Guru
    the minute we began setting up my 2nd pp at the VZW store I could see the double letter problem. I opened up memo and typed a bunch of sentences and then had the VZW employee do it too. They were 100% willing to give me a new one.
    Global Posts
    22 Global Posts
    I would rather get a PIXI at this point (shift double typed) the Pre Plus keyb is a nightmare.
    I'm of the mindset that with time this will get better, at least the double letter and letter omission incidents. I'm finding that the more I use my keyboard the less of these type errors I find happening. I got my Pre Plus on launch day at Best Buy and everything else with it is perfect. It seems like I just need to 'break it in." A pain, yes...but given how much I love this phone I'm willing to stick it out and see if my hypothesis is correct. That and I'm afraid the replacement will be worse.

ETA: I did try the fix that was posted in here a while back and it was very helpful, but I still have a few instances of this happening. Perhaps I'll try it again. The fact that this 'fix' was so successful reinforces my thoughts that the keyboard is just too tight and needs to be broken in.
    Last edited by Pr3Lov3r; 03/12/2010 at 06:11 PM.
    Global Posts
    2 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Pr3Lov3r View Post
    I'm of the mindset that with time this will get better, at least the double letter and letter omission incidents. I'm finding that the more I use my keyboard the less of these type errors I find happening. I got my Pre Plus on launch day at Best Buy and everything else with it is perfect. It seems like I just need to 'break it in." A pain, yes...but given how much I love this phone I'm willing to stick it out and see if my hypothesis is correct. That and I'm afraid the replacement will be worse.

ETA: I did try the fix that was posted in here a while back and it was very helpful, but I still have a few instances of this happening. Perhaps I'll try it again. The fact that this 'fix' was so successful reinforces my thoughts that the keyboard is just too tight and needs to be broken in.
    I do notice this getting slightly better but it still annoys me that palm wont officially recognize the issue and that I have to roll the dice if i decide to swap for a new one. Going to keep trying the device since i just got it a few days ago.

I also notice that the errors occur more frequently when i start out in a freshly opened app then if the app is warm.
    Global Posts
    13 Global Posts
    I tried the key tapping fix..but it didn't fix my problem. Mine is not too bad, I notice my s's the most..but I've only had mine for 2 whole days. My first two crashed during the update. This is my 3rd pre.... I am embarrassed to show my face back at VZ
    I just go my new pre plus with the developer discount. My first pre plus was purchased through verizon and had the double letter issue which I returned. So far the pre plus that I received directly from palm does not have this issue.
    Global Posts
    22 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by garfmiller View Post
    I do notice this getting slightly better but it still annoys me that palm wont officially recognize the issue and that I have to roll the dice if i decide to swap for a new one. Going to keep trying the device since i just got it a few days ago.

I also notice that the errors occur more frequently when i start out in a freshly opened app then if the app is warm.
    After a call with Palm today 3.17.2010 they told me they recognized the problem as a software issue and an update is on it's way. According to the representative, the OTA update should arrive in less than a month.
    I hope I won't turn crazy before that, this is my second device, both bran new Palm pre Plus phone I've used had the same exact issue. Let's hope Palm can fix this soon.
    Global Posts
    242 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by phonetroubles View Post
    the minute we began setting up my 2nd pp at the VZW store I could see the double letter problem. I opened up memo and typed a bunch of sentences and then had the VZW employee do it too. They were 100% willing to give me a new one.
    Did the replacement work ok?
    I don't believe that it is a software issue. The phone I got directly from palm yesterday does not have this issue. My original phone bought from Verizon did have the double typing issue.
    I've got a Verizon Palm Pre Plus w/ 1.4 OS that I got a week ago. I'm getting the doubled (tripled) keys, missed keys, and lag. It doesn't happen with the virtual keyboard. It doesn't seem to be app specific - anywhere I enter text it happens.

Strangely, it seems to be mostly the keys on the right half of the keyboard although the lag can be any key. It happens with normal keys, shifted keys, and option key (numbers & symbols). In the space of one line, I can have all three happening. What's more annoying is when I hit backspace to correct, THAT often double or tripple backspaces

After reading this thread (and since it happened from the first), I'm going to assume it's defective hardware. I'm going to go to Verizon and get a replacement. This really sucks because otherwise, I really enjoy most everything about it.

Panagiotis
    I've got a Verizon Palm Pre Plus w/ 1.4 OS that I got a week ago. I'm getting the doubled (tripled) keys, missed keys, and lag. It doesn't happen with the virtual keyboard. It doesn't seem to be app specific - anywhere I enter text it happens.

Strangely, it seems to be mostly the keys on the right half of the keyboard although the lag can be any key. It happens with normal keys, shifted keys, and option key (numbers & symbols). In the space of one line, I can have all three happening. What's more annoying is when I hit backspace to correct, THAT often double or tripple backspaces

After reading this thread (and since it happened from the first), I'm going to assume it's defective hardware. I'm going to go to Verizon and get a replacement. This really sucks because otherwise, I really enjoy most everything about it.

Panagiotis
    Global Posts
    22 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MotionxxUSxx View Post
    I don't believe that it is a software issue. The phone I got directly from palm yesterday does not have this issue. My original phone bought from Verizon did have the double typing issue.
    Honestly, I don't eithher. When I got my replacement it worked fine for two weeks then the issue starrted again, hopeully yours won't.
    Man, I'm getting tirred of this.
    Quote Originally Posted by VVoltz View Post
    After a call with Palm today 3.17.2010 they told me they recognized the problem as a software issue and an update is on it's way. According to the representative, the OTA update should arrive in less than a month.
    I hope I won't turn crazy before that, this is my second device, both bran new Palm pre Plus phone I've used had the same exact issue. Let's hope Palm can fix this soon.
    I talked to Palm the other day via chat and they said they were not aware of any keyboard issues. This was first level support however, still waiting to get a call from second level.

I would LOVE if it was actually a software issue since I LOVE my Pre Plus! If it is software, let the update come!!!
    Global Posts
    403 Global Posts
    I think there are 2 issues:

1) hardware issue causing double/missed letters
    2) software issue causing lag/double letters

I had my Pre Plus exchanged yesterday and immediately noticed a difference in the feel of the keyboard. I did not realize how "mushy" the first one felt until I used this one. My double/missed letter issues are completely gone and I am convinced that the new keyboard fixed it.

However, I also notice some lag that causes double letters (no missed letters, though). Obviously this is a software problem, and this is probably what Palm is acknowledging with the upcoming update.

FWIW, if you're still able to, exchange your phone if you're having keyboard problems. I was skeptical at first but after seeing the difference between my original and replacement, there is absolutely no doubt in my mind that some of the kayboards are flaky.
    IF the lag IS software related, would forcing garbage collection help or does that have nothing to do with performance?
    easy for you to say! For a heavy txt/emailer, the double letters are the worst! I've tried to just live with it but its becoming very very frustrating and I can't wait to go back to Verizon to get a new unit. I love the Pre, hate the keyboard issues
Page 11 of 21 FirstFirst ... 678910111213141516 ... LastLast