View Poll Results: Does your Pre Plus double-type letters or miss them entirely, and do you see lag?

Voters
984. You may not vote on this poll
  • Double-letters ONLY.

78 7.93%
  • Missed letters ONLY.

43 4.37%
  • Input lag ONLY.

8 0.81%
  • Double-letters and missed letters, but NO input lag.

183 18.60%
  • Double-letters and input lag, but NO missed letters.

29 2.95%
  • Missed letters and input lag, but NO double-letters.

41 4.17%
  • Double-letters, missed letters, AND input lag.

434 44.11%
  • No typing problems.

168 17.07%
Page 10 of 21 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213141520 ... LastLast
    I have this issue as well in a bad way, which is a shame as I love the phone -- but it is getting almost unuseable. Maybe a quick fix would something software to turn off the repeating function when a key is held down?
    Global Posts
    182 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by copasetic View Post
    I got the same answer, software. The fact that you can type slowly (i.e. with one hand) and get many less errors (and less input lag) seems to support this. Yet- I know two friends who have gotten brand new replacements, and have no more issues whatsoever.

Regardless, when I called Verizon Data Technical Support yesterday, they didn't seem to have knowledge of this issue, and so called Palm directly. I got a call back about 45 minutes later. The answer I received was "Palm says: 'First we have heard of this.' " At the advice of Palm, they decided not to send me a refurbished unit, and are sending me to the store for a brand new replacement. Yay!

Are we getting the runaround? I hope not. But miscommunication seems to be happening somewhere. What department exactly were you speaking to/sending results to? 400-ish polled users with some sort of issue isn't terrible, but it is significant enough to generate interest.
    Go to the VZW store or call them and point them to this thread. Next have them contact Palm and confirm that HardBeatZ is indeed an employee and that he and they will confirm that this is a Know HARDWARE issue. I'm'a go to my local store and let them know about this.

@HardBeatz has there been confirmation of how many/or what S/N batch(es) are affected by the Double Type?
    I noticed the double letter problem on my new verizon pre-plus almost immediately. Thought it was me, so I REALLY paid attention to typing accurately. Finally determined it wasn't me and returned the phone for a new one. Fixed the problem! The new phone doesn't do it and the keys have more travel and stability. I wonder if it's a problem they fixed somewhere on the production line or is the acceptable tolerance variations of the keyboard part too broad. Whatever, if yours is doing it, don't put up with it. Get a new one.
    Mine was doing it, so I went to the Verizon store to see what the process was to exchange it (still within my 30 days). The lady rep was able to "reproduce" the problem, and said all I needed to do was come back when I had 20 minutes to spare. Well, I was just on lunch, so said I would be back the next day.

Next day I go back, tell my story to a different rep, and proceed to wait 2 hours while the rep tries to "reproduce" the problem. She kept refusing to exchange the handset without being able to see the problem herself...I said to her "this is a know issue with Palm, etc"...Obviously Palm hasn't told Verizon, or Verizon doesn't care enough about the Palm to let their stores know.
    Global Posts
    182 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by callmechewy View Post
    Mine was doing it, so I went to the Verizon store to see what the process was to exchange it (still within my 30 days). The lady rep was able to "reproduce" the problem, and said all I needed to do was come back when I had 20 minutes to spare. Well, I was just on lunch, so said I would be back the next day.

Next day I go back, tell my story to a different rep, and proceed to wait 2 hours while the rep tries to "reproduce" the problem. She kept refusing to exchange the handset without being able to see the problem herself...I said to her "this is a know issue with Palm, etc"...Obviously Palm hasn't told Verizon, or Verizon doesn't care enough about the Palm to let their stores know.

Please Read my reply 1 post up, you'd see it's easy to make Verizon know this is an issue.
    /me grumbles about people who post to forums without reading the thread.
    Last edited by MiDoJo; 03/03/2010 at 05:08 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by jimdunn View Post
    Originally Posted by PDAGeek
    I had the same problem. Multiple and missed letters in every sentance. It was so frustrating having to back on every sentance and enter a letter or back space and make corrections. If your a heavy email and text user like myself then I know how frustrated you are getting.

I followed your steps Adam and it fix my issue.

Here is what I did

1) Powe off your Pre
    2) Hard press all the keys with your thumb about 10 times
    3) Hard press each key individually fast 15 times
    4) Power up your pre

I have two phones and this fixed the problem on both
    Thank you JimDunn!!! I was about to sell my Pre until I tried your advice above. It solved all my keyboard issues. Everyone should try this before exchanging/returning their Pre's. I am so happy this fixed the issue without having to get a replacement . . .
    Quote Originally Posted by boobie1998 View Post
    Hi All,

Anyone that has the pre plus and installed 1.4 update, is the keyboard issue gone?

Thanks

Boobie1998
    Not as bad, but still a problem.
    Global Posts
    499 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by theschles View Post
    Not as bad, but still a problem.
    I haven't had the problem since I swapped phones (before the 1.4 update) and I have all of the same Preware patches installed. I firmly believe it's a hardware issue.
    This has happened across two phones. Despite that, I still love my phone and don't miss my Blackberry Curve 8330. But c'maan, fix this soon Palm! The honeymoon won't last forever y'know.
    Is it just me, or does this problem seem to happen mostly in SMS? I tried doing a bunch of typing in the memo app and it didn't seem to double type letters there. If that is the case, then it has to be a software issue.
    OK this issue is really started to annoy me BIG TIME. In fact, I have gone back to my iPhone temporarily until they find a fix... and YES I have already swapped out my phone three times and all three has the issue. Come on Palm!!
  12. ncl
    Global Posts
    35 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gapost View Post
    Is it just me, or does this problem seem to happen mostly in SMS? I tried doing a bunch of typing in the memo app and it didn't seem to double type letters there. If that is the case, then it has to be a software issue.

I agree.....everything is fine when test in the memo app, when I type sms messages I get the repeating/missed characters.
    Quote Originally Posted by ncl View Post
    I agree.....everything is fine when test in the memo app, when I type sms messages I get the repeating/missed characters.
    same for me... when I got this replacement Pre, I immediately opened the memo pad and started typing and thought everything was fine. It wasn't until I started using the phone on a daily basis that I realized the double type and missed letters was really bad, especially in email and sms.
    Quote Originally Posted by MiDoJo View Post
    Please Read my reply 1 post up, you'd see it's easy to make Verizon know this is an issue.
    /me grumbles about people who post to forums without reading the thread.
    /me grumbles about people who assume that they posted before I went to the Verizon store...which they didn't.

I went to the store the day before you posted, and I went back right after work the next day, hence I was not able to check for new posts in this thread.

Don't assume. You just proved that what happens when you "assume", is true.

Oh, and P.S. - I still have the double-letter problem with the new handset, although I haven't seen any missing letters or lag like I was seeing previously. I do occasionally lag when high-overhead apps like Preware are loading up, but then it stops.
    I have it pretty much always...even on games that use the keyboard. The lag is the worst, it's like the entire machine is pausing/freezing for about 1-2 seconds. This got at least 2X worse after I ran WebOS doctor I should have left the plain 1.4 upgrade alone.
    My second Pre Plus since Verizon launched it, both gave me Double-letters, missed letters, AND input lag.
    Global Posts
    22 Global Posts
    Same here. I got a new replaccement device about two weeks ago, it was working properly, seriosly, all letters were working fine, now, two weeks afterr I'm getting this errors, called Palm and VZ, since it passed 5 days since my 30 days I can only get a refurbished one, well no thanks, what if the one I GET WORKS EVEN WORSE (sorry the shift key double types).
    I am not frustrated or mad anymore, feel betrayed and duped...
    Global Posts
    245 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VVoltz View Post
    since it passed 5 days since my 30 days I can only get a refurbished one, well no thanks, what if the one I GET WORKS EVEN WORSE..
    Trade it in for another refurb?
    Global Posts
    22 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Diesel Donkey View Post
    Trade it in for another refurb?
    I'm afraid the refurb is a device that somebody returned with the same issue, after talking to Palm today, they basically told me they ignored what the problem was.
    I will wait for a bit and if Palm doesn't come with a solution I will get the refurb, or even try to get a Pixi.
    After calling Palm today, they also offerred a free accessory but that doesn't help the frustration of constantly correcting texts.
    Today is my 29th day I think, so I am going to have to make a decision quickly. Mine has become noticeably more problematic and consistent. If I head to Verizon today and get a new one, I just am concerned that I will have the same problem. Also, I will have to order new Phantomskinz and do that all over again (I am picky about those...).

Also, what about your data and files and apps? How do they get transferred to the new phone?

Anyone?