1.    #1  
    I am considering switch to Sprint. I would love to rather get a GSM Pre Plus on AT&T, but Sprint data plans are much more affordable. But Sprint's service used to be notoriously bad in my city (part of SF South Bay Area) few years ago. What is the experience like using Sprint on pre now??
    I live in the east bay and my office is in San Bruno. I also have a few clients in downtown SF and at the Presidio. In all of these locations the service is great. I have always had great Sprint service here in Cali. Even Socal is pretty solid for me. The only time I have had issues with service was when I travel to NYC.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
    I also live in the East Bay, service with Sprint is GREAT! Almost 99% I have full bars and well connected to 3G! If your in Downtown SF, Full service 100% of the time! Most ppl on att say service here in the Bay Area sucks! So get Sprint, cheaper and better! xD
    Quote Originally Posted by Palmac06 View Post
    I also live in the East Bay, service with Sprint is GREAT! Almost 99% I have full bars and well connected to 3G! If your in Downtown SF, Full service 100% of the time! Most ppl on att say service here in the Bay Area sucks! So get Sprint, cheaper and better! xD
    QFT
    Global Posts
    575 Global Posts
    I saw a test not to long ago and sprint all around S.F. had faster 3G than at&t and verizon(also means voice is good to).
    I lived in the bay, SF, Oakland and the Eastbay a long time. I have a pre but not when i lived in SF. And i no longer live there. And i'll say this. The san fransicao bay area has cell phone reception issues all over regardless of carrier do the varied geography. Mountains and water specifically, there are plenty of spots like Montclaire, the berkley hills the hills south of SF where there are pockets of strange reception regardless of carrier. And if you're in building in SF i've always notices the signal may vary from carrier to carrier and even from phone to phone. geography wise you use to get drop outs backin the day when you hit the caldacot tunnel, crossing the bay bridge etc. Now they changed a lot of that by sticking cell towers in tunnels and on the bay bridge. I think they even have one in the BArt tunnels when you're under water going under the bay.

When i had sprint some 9 years ago, which is likely not representative of now either, i live in Oakland and i got zero reception inside my house and next to zero in many sf buildings. Which is why i left sprint back in the day. That and they ****ed me off to no end one day for the last time.

the point isn't to say sprint is bad. My point is that all carriers have some issues around sf cause there are so many mountains in everyone's way in lots of places. I had the same issues with other carriers.
    Quote Originally Posted by taylormah View Post
    I am considering switch to Sprint. I would love to rather get a GSM Pre Plus on AT&T, but Sprint data plans are much more affordable. But Sprint's service used to be notoriously bad in my city (part of SF South Bay Area) few years ago. What is the experience like using Sprint on pre now??
    I work for a general contractor so I have a Sprint BB Curve AND a Pre as a personal device. We work all over the Bay Area and use Sprint 3G cards at many project sites. The great thing about living here is that all the carriers get fantastic reception...including AT&T and t-Moblie's 3G network (except for inside SF downtown, Vzw is king, then Sprint, AT&T does suck it there)

Sure there are "pockets" that drop out, but there's pockets with every carrier. I've had projects in Daly City, Lafayette, Dublin, Pleasanton, Santana Row, Moffett Field, and Richmond. All those locations had great reception with no drop outs including the commute along 580, 680/Sunol Grade, 880, 237, 238 to/from those locations. There used to be a dead zone on the San Mateo Br, but it's been years since I traveled that route. There is a small dead zone spot on San Pablo Damn Rd, but that's in a canyon and to be expected....also, Fremont Costco seems to eat Sprint reception.

I would also recommend looking into the Roam-Only toggle patch. This will force the Pre onto Verizon's network for phone coverage if you encounter a bad spot. Works great inside that Fremont Costco....

Also, you can check out DeadCellZones.com for your specif area(s).
    Sprint service for the Palm Pre is great all over the bay area in my experience. Signal strength is high even in west valley/peninsula foothills (Saratoga, Cupertino, Los Altos and Los Altos Hills, Portola Valley, Woodside, etc)
    Quote Originally Posted by MilenkoD
    Also, you can check out DeadCellZones.com for your specif area(s).
    theres no way thats accurate
    Quote Originally Posted by sketch42 View Post
    theres no way thats accurate
    Unfortunately it's user generated...only as accurate as the input given.
    I've had great coverage all through the peninsula and whenever I've been in SF. Actually I can't think of a place in the inner Bay Area where I've had a problem.
    Sf bay area nothin but great service. I live in the haight and it is full bars. I had the Iphone and att would drop sig all the time.
    I have a pre with sprint,and was in SF all last week(up on market st)and had a great signal the whole time.left there and went to oakland then to hayward,never was it an issue.
    i live a little bit south of San Jose, and ive had sprint for over 10 years. The service is perfect! As good as Verizon!
    I currently live in in sf, and my coverage is always full bars except when I go home. It could be the house is blocking sigbal with old wiring ( it's a very old house). Other then that, my friend always challenges me if I have full bars or not with his iphone, no joke. Plus the fact we have free roaming with verizon, makes it alot easier to stay connected in possible grey areas