Global Posts
    278 Global Posts
    One of my favorite things about this phone is the web browser, but it is far from perfect. Here are some basic features/modifications that would make the browser much better and would be fairly easy for Palm to implement. Please feel free to add.

Find button
    I can't even count how many times I've wanted to CTRL+F in the Pre's browser. The browser would really benefit from this, especially given the limited screen real estate.

Home/End gesture
    Swiping down with two fingers brings you to the bottom of the page. Swiping up with two fingers brings you to the top of the page. This may conflict with pinch/zoom, but I'm sure another gesture or keystroke combination would be possible.

Vertical and Horizontal scroll bars
    They don't even need to be functional. I would just like them so that I know my position on a web page. Sometimes I find myself scolling endlessly and have no idea when I will reach the end of a page. It would also be nice if the bars were translucent and only appeared while scrolling, so that they don't consume any real estate.

The ability to download anything
    Clicking on a link will default to open/stream. Meta-tap a link and you can Save As. I realize that there's a patch for this, but it should be standard.

Get rid of the on-screen buttons
    Once again, we have a patch for this, but it should be standard. There is too much duplicate functionality at the expense of screen real estate. I always used to find myself hitting these buttons accidentally. I like the new shake-to-refresh patch, which should also be standard, as there is no stock refresh gesture.

Resize text boxes
    I love that 1.3 zooms into text boxes now, but it often cuts off the entire box, which is counter-productive. Text boxes should dynamically resize, based on the screen orientation.

User agent switch in preferences
    The BlackBerry browser allows you to easily switch between default, Firefox and IE. This can sometimes be very useful.

Disable images in preferences
    This is helpful when in poor coverage areas. I sometimes find that I am only seeking text content, but am unable to load pages, due to imagery.

Copy image URL
    We can already copy link URLs, so why not images?

Disable the auto-refresh when idle
    This is a major annoyance. It's not really multitasking if your card isn't live. The patch doesn't seem to work for everyone either.

Meta-tap/Keyboard shortcuts
    See patch.

Different view options under Menu
    See Pocket IE (as much as I hate using this as an example for anything). I would like to see a one-column and a full screen view. One column would be good for pages that don't make good use of tables and require side-scrolling to read text. There is a patch for full screen view, but I would like it to be conditional and not constant.

Better copy/paste
    It's unfortunate that we can only select paragraphs. This needs to be retooled.

Unthrottle downloads
    I shouldn't have to install a patch to increase my download speed, especially if I'm on WiFi. I've had this installed since it was released and haven't seen any negative drawbacks.

Replace orange+tap with tap&hold for context menus
    To access a context menu, we currently have to use two hands and have the keyboard open. There is a patch that will allow you to meta-tap for context menus, but this still requires two hands. We should be able to tap&hold on links to launch context menus, just as you can with almost every other mobile web browser. This would improve one-handed usage.
    Last edited by geodim; 02/18/2010 at 01:33 AM.
    Sidekick Color > Moto MPx220 > HTC Typhoon > Moto Q > HTC Apache > HTC Hermes > HTC Tilt > Palm Pre > HTC EVO 4G > HTC EVO 3D

iPad 16GB WiFi > iPad 2 64GB WiFi
    agree 100%. dont expect any of this in 1.4.....
    Global Posts
    278 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by newone757 View Post
    agree 100%. dont expect any of this in 1.4.....
    haha, I'm not holding my breath. I'm already very content with what we're getting in 1.4. These things are not critical, but would really polish the web browser quite nicely.
    Sidekick Color > Moto MPx220 > HTC Typhoon > Moto Q > HTC Apache > HTC Hermes > HTC Tilt > Palm Pre > HTC EVO 4G > HTC EVO 3D

Great post...well thought out and feedback is very constructive! Have you sent this to Palm?
    Global Posts
    747 Global Posts
    Agree. I'd also like my password info to be saved when I click something like remember me or a save check-box. It works sometimes, then decides not to.

Smarter password management that somehow tied into Synergy itself would be nice. Typing in a full email and a long password may work fine on a desktop, but on a phone it becomes cumbersome. How about something we can enter passwords into using the palm profile or something that just logs me into what I want?

I'd also love more responsive 1-hand usage. Double taps should be leagues tighter.
    I'm sure the throttled download speed has something to do with their hands being tied. Not sure where but I think it was nice of them to put enough of the code out there to be editable for patches.

Also when anyone says "I realize that there's a patch for this, but it should be standard" then you should realize that it's thanks to Palm that the patch could happen, they could've made it un-patchable, easily, but really it's a mater of opinion and use, if you don't like it use the patch, I'm defiantly a fan of the buttons for inexpirenced users, even with mastering the gestures they can never seem to grasp the context in which to use it, only where they can and can't.

But yeah, I'm looking forward to some enhancement in 1.4 to the web-browser, probably will just be updated html5 support though...

I would love a agent switcher though, the iPhone is nice, but sometimes I don't like it when sites force me to the mobile side and there's absolutely nothing I can really do about it.
    Global Posts
    278 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stihl View Post
    I'd also love more responsive 1-hand usage. Double taps should be leagues tighter.
    I agree. I added one more entry to the end of the list, regarding one-handed usage.

Global Posts
    278 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by alex.dobeck View Post
    Also when anyone says "I realize that there's a patch for this, but it should be standard" then you should realize that it's thanks to Palm that the patch could happen, they could've made it un-patchable, easily, but really it's a mater of opinion and use, if you don't like it use the patch, I'm defiantly a fan of the buttons for inexpirenced users, even with mastering the gestures they can never seem to grasp the context in which to use it, only where they can and can't.
    I'm not complaining. I actually like the browser a lot. I'm just adding my constructive thoughts. There are certain no-brainer patches should absolutely be standard or you should at least be given the option in the browser preferences. The reason that we have patches at all is because the platform is not perfect and people like to have choices.

I commend Palm for being so open to homebrew development, but homebrew is important to advanced users, because Palm essentially released an unfinished and option-less platform. I can't blame them for doing this, as it's not like they were really in a position to wait until the platform was finished, like Microsoft has done with Phone 7. If there were no patches, I'd likely have moved onto Android by now.
    Last edited by geodim; 02/18/2010 at 01:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by geodim View Post

Find button
    I can't even count how many times I've wanted to CTRL+F in the Pre's browser. The browser would really benefit from this, especially given the limited screen real estate.
    I always wondered if a Dev could use the code from the Find Feature found in Doc & PDF View to make a patch for a Find Feature in the Browser??

Also would like to see:

HTML Anchor Support
    Anchors are links that take you to a certain spot on a page (e.g. Click on "newest" or "last post" in this forum and it takes you to that post rather than the beginning of the thread). A Basic function that most Browsers handle (even Blazer) but not WebOs.
    Global Posts
    180 Global Posts
    This is a major annoyance. It's not really multitasking if your card isn't live. The patch doesn't seem to work for everyone either.
    there IS a patch for that.
    Quote Originally Posted by geodim View Post
    Find button
    i want this function, but i dont know if i want more buttons
    Home/End gesture
    Swiping down with two fingers brings you to the bottom of the page. Swiping up with two fingers brings you to the top of the page. This may conflict with pinch/zoom, but I'm sure another gesture or keystroke combination would be possible.
    its nice to have, but i dont think its important, I dont need to goto bottom of the page (mostly), and i can type anywhere to bring up urlbar, so I dont need goto top neither
    Vertical and Horizontal scroll bars
    They don't even need to be functional. I would just like them so that I know my position on a web page. Sometimes I find myself scolling endlessly and have no idea when I will reach the end of a page. It would also be nice if the bars were translucent and only appeared while scrolling, so that they don't consume any real estate.
    again, nice to have, but not important
    The ability to download anything
    Clicking on a link will default to open/stream. Meta-tap a link and you can Save As. I realize that there's a patch for this, but it should be standard.
    agree
    Get rid of the on-screen buttons
    Once again, we have a patch for this, but it should be standard. There is too much duplicate functionality at the expense of screen real estate. I always used to find myself hitting these buttons accidentally. I like the new shake-to-refresh patch, which should also be standard, as there is no stock refresh gesture.
    mature OS always provides more than one way to do things for users, I dont think we should remove those, its clean enough
    Resize text boxes
    I love that 1.3 zooms into text boxes now, but it often cuts off the entire box, which is counter-productive. Text boxes should dynamically resize, based on the screen orientation.
    agree
    User agent switch in preferences
    The BlackBerry browser allows you to easily switch between default, Firefox and IE. This can sometimes be very useful.
    nice to have, but not important, there are many compatibility issues already, fake UA will not help much
    Disable images in preferences
    This is helpful when in poor coverage areas. I sometimes find that I am only seeking text content, but am unable to load pages, due to imagery.
    definitely agree
    Copy image URL
    We can already copy link URLs, so why not images?
    agree
    i am unsure about what you are referring to
    Meta-tap/Keyboard shortcuts
    See patch.

Different view options under Menu
    See Pocket IE (as much as I hate using this as an example for anything). I would like to see a one-column and a full screen view. One column would be good for pages that don't make good use of tables and require side-scrolling to read text. There is a patch for full screen view, but I would like it to be conditional and not constant.
    nice to have. but not important to me
    Better copy/paste
    It's unfortunate that we can only select paragraphs. This needs to be retooled.
    agree
    Unthrottle downloads
    I shouldn't have to install a patch to increase my download speed, especially if I'm on WiFi. I've had this installed since it was released and haven't seen any negative drawbacks.
    im not aware of this problem at all, but if so, agree
    Replace orange+tap with tap&hold for context menus
    To access a context menu, we currently have to use two hands and have the keyboard open. There is a patch that will allow you to meta-tap for context menus, but this still requires two hands. We should be able to tap&hold on links to launch context menus, just as you can with almost every other mobile web browser. This would improve one-handed usage.
    There is more change need to be done in system to do this, maybe changing to meta tap+tap?

here are the stuff I want:

password managment, autofill, etc
    fast backward/forward.
    text re-flow when zooming in, if the font still will be too small.
    how about the fact that you have to zoom out to type something in order to see the whole thing, also

what about the fact that you can quote someone and scroll through the quote, you have to post on top of it and even that is tricky