Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Palm pls change the hardware&form factor, watch out the competition.

The purpose of this thread is to discuss the change Palm should do with the hardware and the form factor , that is the most criticized thing on all the web sites around the world and got all kind of dusts to the gifted and recognized Palm webOS as the most performed OS system for smartphones.

IMHO all smartphones that runs android OS seems to be more appreciated by the form factor and the hardware, those devices have, as well the iphone 3GS.

If Androids came out after the iphone and with a large screen from the begining, as I can recall, and it also seems is their success, why Palm did not come with the Pres, or change once for all to a large multitouch screen to finally success.????

What other changes Palm must do, in hardware?

Please find herewith the link to a video, Nexus One vs iPhone 3GS Match up:

I certainly had a hard time following your post, you start off talking about Android and iPhone and end up with a youtube video about Nexus One vs. iPhone....

I don't think Palm needs to change a thing to the form factor. However I do believe they need more memory (ala the Pre Plus), faster processor, and most importantly, improved build quality.
    This guy isn't English, I'll assume, and I agree somewhat with the build quality, but if you dont like the form factor, buy a different phone.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikey47 View Post

I don't think Palm needs to change a thing to the form factor. However I do believe they need more memory (ala the Pre Plus), faster processor, and most importantly, improved build quality.
    My thoughts exactly. My version of the title would be...

Palm please don't change the form factor. Improve the QC and harware specs, but maintain your differentiation from the opposition.
    I love the Pre form factor. I don't want a bigger screen, it will only make the device bigger.
    It would probably not be a bad idea for Palm to also make a tablet device like the iPhone, but don't change the Pre and Pixi.
    I think it's great that they have other form factors, otherwise it would just be more of the same and they wouldn't stand out. Diversity is good!
    Build quality could definitely be improved a bit, although I don't have any problems. And they're working on that, see Pre+.
    I think that there are only 3 changes needed:

1. Make it thinner
    2. Make the screen larger (and therefore the phone larger - which automatically means a larger keyboard)
    3. Improve your overall plastic quality - the sharp edge and the scratchy plastic must be changed with better materials (glass screen?)
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikey47 View Post
    I certainly had a hard time following your post, you start off talking about Android and iPhone and end up with a youtube video about Nexus One vs. iPhone....

Sorry, my not native English.

and Yes, I agree with those hardware features you mentioned.

By the other way. Most of phones manufaturers even the cheapers make them with a large multitouch screen:

Handsets-MOBILE WORLD CONGRESS 2010-ZTE

Crampy keyboard on Pres, people said.????
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by abhinandanjain View Post

1. Make it thinner
    2. Make the screen larger (and therefore the phone larger - which automatically means a larger keyboard)
    3. Improve your overall plastic quality - the sharp edge and the scratchy plastic must be changed with better materials (glass screen?)
    Great suggestions for Palm

I was wondering what casing materials use the Nexus One and the iPhone 3GS???
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by iRobot View Post
    This guy isn't English, I'll assume, and I agree somewhat with the build quality, but if you dont like the form factor, buy a different phone.
    Yes, I am not a native english writer and I will not buy any other phone than Palms, but I would like a better Palm hardware and form factor
    Global Posts
    511 Global Posts
    I happen to really like the form factor. Unlike the iPhone, and just about every Android phone, I can very comfortably keep the phone in my front pocket. The keyboard is not crampy, it's one of the only QWERTY keyboards I can handle and type in with one hand (or 2 if I choose). The tactile feel of it is great (not a popular opinion I know).

The only things I would change is the CPU power, Increased RAM (double may be overkill considering developers will continue developing to support the original pre's limit), and higher resolution screen (but keep the same size). The best way in my opinion to make a screen better is increase the pixel density (it unfortunately raises prices the more dense you get). The build quality of the sliding part is iffy, but it's no worse than my LG Rumor slider (the Pre is doing slightly better in fact).
    Quote Originally Posted by akitayo View Post
    Yes, I am not a native english writer and I will not buy any other phone than Palms, but I would like a better Palm hardware and form factor

well, hopefully Palm makes a phone with WebOS that fits your form factor specifications. I dont think any Pre that comes out in the next few years will be much different in form factor though. I'd like Palm to come out with a whole series of new WebOS devices that meet everyones desires, but only time will tell.
    Quote Originally Posted by akitayo View Post
    Crampy keyboard on Pres, people said.????
    The Pre's keyboard is just about perfect for typing with your thumbs. I tried the Samsung Moment and although the keyboard looks promising it was so big that you lost all ability to type efficiently. It's too big to use just thumbs and it's too small to use it like a full-out keyboard....which makes it aggravating as hell.

It may look too small but the Pre keyboard is very usable.
  13.    #13  
    What do you think guys of this Palm Pre Plus review.? (It has and update at the end of the article)

Review: Verizon Palm Pre Plus can't win back this Palm fan yet | Smartphones and Cell Phones | ZDNet.com
    HTC, Nexus One, DROID, they all look like iPhones with extra buttons and keyboards to me. Every new phone that comes out looks like a big boring rectangle.

I would like more of a rubberized or rugged feel to the phone though.
    Global Posts
    30 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by joshewah View Post
    HTC, Nexus One, DROID, they all look like iPhones with extra buttons and keyboards to me. Every new phone that comes out looks like a big boring rectangle.

I would like more of a rubberized or rugged feel to the phone though.
    Get the Body Glove case for the Pre. The one from Verizon is a little bit different than the one you can get in the PreCentral store here and on Amazon, it has a removable clip and it doesn't have the faux leather look on the sides. But either version would be good. It definitely makes the phone feel grippy and rugged.
    Global Posts
    575 Global Posts
    Third webOS device will hopefully be an all touch device. Many people want that, I however think the pre is just right for a powerful and easily pocketable smartphone. Change to omap4,keep the same form factor,16+ gig and make this baby more rugged.........I DON't NEED A BRICK,I NEED A PRE

1. Make it thinner
    no dont do this as i dont want a huge phone( you have htc,iphone etc for this)

keep the size ,just add more memory or sd slot, more speed and longer/better battery life ( most smartpnones have poor battery life) and stronger built

1. Make it thinner
    1. No - Thinner = smaller battery.
    2. No - very pocketable as it is.
    3. I agree with that one (except the sharp edges reference, 'cos I don't see any.)
    Quote Originally Posted by johncc View Post
    except the sharp edges reference, 'cos I don't see any
    some people cry about the lower edge being too sharp when they open the slider. can't see that problem either

btw, the form factor is one of the best things about the pre. no need to change that.
    Global Posts
    180 Global Posts
    the formfactor is the reason why I wanted the pre.
    I had so many phones, and the pre really has the best in terms of usability.
    landscape keyboards are slower for me thumbtyping, onscreen keyboards are the horror.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast