Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by johncc View Post
    1. No - Thinner = smaller battery.
    2. No - very pocketable as it is.
    3. I agree with that one (except the sharp edges reference, 'cos I don't see any.)
    When I said thinner, I meant that Palm can reduce the curve of the slider and get the overall thickness down by 1-2mm. If you see the construction of the phone, the curve mechanism design takes up thickness which otherwise would have made the phone slimmer. Also, the battery can be redesigned to be thinner but larger - similar to the new Nokia's

Make it larger - I said this because playing games or web-browsing on a 3.3" or 3.5" screen would be much more enjoyable.

The sharp edges do exist - If you slide out the keyboard and run your finger over the corner edge, you can feel the sharpness of that edge. Maybe its particular to my phone...IDK (GSM Pre here)
    the pre's shape is unique and very good looking. the quality can be improved.

to switch to a thin+square shape, it sure is possible, but i am not sure it serves palm well. Pre needs a keyboard, removable battery, etc, i have a hard time imagine palm doing thin+square any better than apple and htc.

no, i can not support the idea of changing form factor.
    Quote Originally Posted by abhinandanjain View Post
    I think that there are only 3 changes needed:

1. Make it thinner
    2. Make the screen larger (and therefore the phone larger - which automatically means a larger keyboard)
    3. Improve your overall plastic quality - the sharp edge and the scratchy plastic must be changed with better materials (glass screen?)
    Please Palm, don't make it any thinner or larger! It is the perfect size for one handed operation now, the ergonomics really could not be better. By all means use tougher materials and tighten up the QC (though I've not had problems) but if you must make a wider, thinner phone make it a completely different range. If I had wanted wider and thinner I would have gone for an iPhone years ago but I personally find them uncomfortable to hold and impossible to use one handed, and then there is the lack of keyboard...
    Last edited by andyhurley; 02/18/2010 at 08:19 AM.
    Battery life (no kidding)
    Better volume buttons, I find it hard to feel the volume buttons while on a call. Of course the volume is always maxed because like the treos the volume doesnt get loud enough.
    Please dont take away my key board or make the phone an iphone wanna be.
  5.    #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by NeilthePilot View Post
    Battery life (no kidding)
    Better volume buttons, I find it hard to feel the volume buttons while on a call. Of course the volume is always maxed because like the treos the volume doesnt get loud enough.
    Please dont take away my key board or make the phone an iphone wanna be.
    at least a 1400 mah battery
  6.    #26  
    what do you think of a Pre Plus with a Pixi form Factor with a little large screen or just like that?
    Quote Originally Posted by bdog421 View Post
    Third webOS device will hopefully be an all touch device. Many people want that, I however think the pre is just right for a powerful and easily pocketable smartphone. Change to omap4,keep the same form factor,16+ gig and make this baby more rugged.........I DON't NEED A BRICK,I NEED A PRE
    Yes, me too...

My client decided on a Droid with the bigger screen, keyboard, default google apps, and finally the most important of all Verizon's sales associates motivation.

Verizon has been second class for so long that all they can talk about is their Droid phone.

Shame though, with it being almost twice as heavy as the Pre and not that impressive now that the Nexus One is out. His deciding factor came down to the Larger Keyboard and Virtuual Keyboard on the Droid. The Pre had neither and I don't know anyone who says..."Wow a Palm Pre...that keyboad is the perfect size." Even I think my Pre's keyboard is cramped and now I'm used to it.

That's another story and either way I'm looking forward to June when everyone's Sprint Contracts come up and options for a new Pre and discounted options manifest.

Hmm, Pre 2:

1. Slighly Larger Screen - OMLED or OLED (longer battery life...seems like a no brainer, but cost may be prohibitive)
    2. Better Keyboad - harder keys, spacing, Virtual built-in native
    3. Faster Processor - has to happen, nothing achieves success in anyones eyes going slower
    4. Storage and RAM - great addition for the Pre Plus, but even it pales in comparison to the iPhone 3GS and everything else coming with MORE. Go for broke 32gb and 1gb of RAM...
    5. Camera and Video - 3 mp and flash was good a few years ago, but even the Droid has 5 mp, auto focus/selective focus (whatever they call it that we don't have) and Video native.
    6. 4G - almost forgot this...not available in my area, but nice to have when I travel to bigger cities...

Palm has to do something soon, the competition is stepping up, and your either willing to Bat, or time to get off the field.

Sorli...
    Last edited by sorli; 02/18/2010 at 08:23 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by joshewah View Post
    HTC, Nexus One, DROID, they all look like iPhones with extra buttons and keyboards to me. Every new phone that comes out looks like a big boring rectangle.

I would like more of a rubberized or rugged feel to the phone though.
    The glossy plastic looks nice, but I realized it's not as practical once I got the Touchstone back. The TS back makes the phone a little more grippy and makes it easier for single handed operation. I highly recommend it.

As for the form factor, it's really the reason I picked the phone. Bigger screen? Meh, whatever. I have lots of computers and big TVs. I don't want a phone the size of an iPad!! I want something that fits in my front pocket easily. I want a real keyboard (and the one on the Pre is pretty well designed, I have no issues typing with it). If anything, a little thinner would be OK, but really, I'm pretty happy with the form factor.

Oh, and I agree about build quality, but to be honest, I haven't had a problem and I'm on my first Pre. Got the TS back and a screen protector, and I'm sure it'll last me a while yet.
    Quote Originally Posted by iRobot View Post
    well, hopefully Palm makes a phone with WebOS that fits your form factor specifications. I dont think any Pre that comes out in the next few years will be much different in form factor though. I'd like Palm to come out with a whole series of new WebOS devices that meet everyones desires, but only time will tell.
    I tend to disagree, I think the next palm device will definatelly have a bigger screen cause all the competition is having bigger screens. now as far as the slider keyboard it depends how big they make it. If it starts becoming to big maybe they will just build it thing with a onscreen keyboard othewise I would suspsect that it will still have a physical keyboard.
    Please Palm...whatever you do...don't broaden the appeal of WebOS by putting it into the most popular form factor currently on the market. DON'T DO IT, PALM!

You know, because there's no way you could make a handset with a 3.7-inch (or more) screen and larger keyboard and make the Pre at the same time.
    I would like to see a web OS tablet before a change in form factor of the phone itself. That is something i would be very excited about. I agree with the OP. Compared to other phones with high build quality, the pre is lacking. The small size of palm as a company means that they need a higher profit margin. Therefore, cheaper plastics and less quality control.
    Last edited by mullrat; 02/18/2010 at 08:54 AM. Reason: grammatical
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    Please Palm...whatever you do...don't broaden the appeal of WebOS by putting it into the most popular form factor currently on the market. DON'T DO IT, PALM!
    Do it, Palm.

The more phones running WebOS, the better it is.

You know, because there's no way you could make a handset with a 3.7-inch (or more) screen and larger keyboard and make the Pre at the same time.
    no, i don't know, why not?
    I don't want a different form factor at all. Just a more solid feel, more durable materials, but NOT a touch screen only. I have an iPod Touch (iPad Mini?) and it is great for certain things but I do not want it for my phone.
    I'd basically want a Pre with better build quality and a 3.5" screen. Slightly thinner would be nice, but as long as it's not any thicker I'd be fine. the bigger screen makes the keyboard bigger.

Other than that, I wouldn't really change it. I think the basic formfactor is fine. Just needs better QC and a slightly bigger screen.
  15.    #35  
    Quote Originally Posted by wunderbar View Post
    the bigger screen makes the keyboard bigger.
    good point
    It seems to me like the general thought is to keep the overall design of the pre but make a few adjustments. I for one would like a larger screen, candybar phone. For this I think palm will come out with a whole new phone,not change the pre.
    How about keeping the look of the Pre the same, only changing the keyboard slider (landscape like HTC's TouchPro)? Palm can also go the android route and add a touchscreen KB for quick one handed typing (for msg responses, etc.). It would address all the negative reviews critics have with Palm's current offering.

Besides that, more storage, mem and MHz are always welcome. Also, make material changes to the phone. Make it more solid/sturdy. We all have to admit, the Pre does feel cheap.

I'm currently happy with the Pre's screen size and overall size of the phone. It was the size of the Pre that made me want it in the first place so I won't even go there.

Whatever the case, I think Pre is a great first gen device. WebOs is amazing and I'm excited to see what the Pre 2 (or whatever it's going to be called...) is going to be like. Although, as with all devices- I'm sure we'll think of ways to make improvements on that too.
    Global Posts
    72 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sorli View Post
    5. Camera and Video - 3 mp and flash was good a few years ago, but even the Droid has 5 mp, auto focus/selective focus (whatever they call it that we don't have) and Video native.
    Oh my ****, who the heck wants 5 MP on a phone camera with a 1/4" CCD? If you want everything to have purple outlines I guess it would fit the bill. If you want 8x10" photo prints, use a real camera.

Autofocus is where Palm should... um, focus their attention. Get the phone reading barcodes, doing facial recognition, etc. (And yeah, video recording is a given)
    Bell Palm Pre
    When Bell says "It's ON," I'm pretty sure they mean it as a threat.
    IMO The "form factor " is fine. What Palm should do is work on the build quality.

Alos it the Plus having 16g is a step up.

Once all the updates have mad eit through ( Video recording) it will be all i want or need in a smart Webphone. I would like to see native ability to privatize records and some other minor things.

I love the size and the way it feels, works well feels right and IMO it is a better devic efor my needs. The iPhone is fine if you are into APPS and a "pretty media device" android is mor eof my style build quality is solid but the interface is nothing like webos and feels cluttered.

I am satisfied with the Pre no other phone to date is as impressive to me.
    Quote Originally Posted by calsccr9 View Post
    I for one would like a larger screen, candybar phone. For this I think palm will come out with a whole new phone,not change the pre.
    I understand the desire for a candy bar model, because people think the moving parts required for a slider introduce greater likelihood of hardware failure/issues.

I understand the desire for a larger screen, for many obvious reasons.

What I don't understand is the desire for a candy bar phone with a larger screen than the Pre. What would that even look like? Extend the Pre's keyboard now... imagine the keyboard is a little closer to the bottom and the gesture area is moved down as well to accommodate a larger screen. Do you really want to carry around a phone that size? I sure don't. If you want a candy bar, look at the Pixi. If you want a bigger screen, I don't see how you get there without a sliding keyboard (or a virtual one--ugh).
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast