Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Garrett92C
  • 1 Post By Mitalis
  1.    #1  
    Does anyone know how to make the SMS alert tone play the full length of the assigned ringtone. I have already installed the SMS tone per Contact patch, and another patch that makes the phone vibrate for two seconds when a text message comes through, but I would like it to play through the entire 30 ringtone I assigned rather than cutting it off after 5 seconds or so. Any ideas.
    I know this is kinda off topic, but... Requesting a 30 second SMS tone reminds me of my one friend who had 30 sec ringtones as SMS alerts. He would let the entire thing play before checking the text. Even when we were sitting at a diner, he would let the full length play despite his phone being on the table in front of him. He also kept his volume excessively loud so the whole place could here it. Most annoying thing ever. He refused to turn down the volume...

Sorry for the somewhat offtopic rant lol...
    OldSkoolVWLover likes this.
    Global Posts
    42 Global Posts
    If I'm not mistaken, I don't think it can be done. Here is a link to the person that wrote the 1, 1.5, and 2 second extension.
    http://forums.precentral.net/webos-p...-strength.html
    I also noticed there is another topic about it. Search the forum for "vibrate" and you'll find it.
  4.    #4  
    I know that seems like an odd request, but I frequently get SMS messages in the middle of the night from work. I have a nice ringtone that starts off quiet (so it doesn't wake up my wife) but then gets gradually louder (so I don't sleep through it).

Now it doesn't make it through the quiet part, so I'm afraid I'll miss a page.

Any help out there? I figure if there's a way to make a patch that extends the duration of the vibrate function, there ought to be a way to extend the tone playback as well.

And, Garrett92C, you should look into getting some new friends. Or at least stop inviting that one to dinner.
    Global Posts
    348 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Garrett92C View Post
    I know this is kinda off topic, but... Requesting a 30 second SMS tone reminds me of my one friend who had 30 sec ringtones as SMS alerts. He would let the entire thing play before checking the text. Even when we were sitting at a diner, he would let the full length play despite his phone being on the table in front of him. He also kept his volume excessively loud so the whole place could here it. Most annoying thing ever. He refused to turn down the volume...

Sorry for the somewhat offtopic rant lol...
    Garrett, if I were you, I would've punched your friend in his face until I broke my hand.
    OldSkoolVWLover likes this.
    I noticed the shortened length as well. However, I'm annoyed as well when some let the ringtone play for full length.
    Global Posts
    42 Global Posts
    Oops.. my bad. Got stuck on the vibrate part and missed that you wanted a longer tone.
    Quote Originally Posted by drseale View Post
    Does anyone know how to make the SMS alert tone play the full length of the assigned ringtone. I have already installed the SMS tone per Contact patch, and another patch that makes the phone vibrate for two seconds when a text message comes through, but I would like it to play through the entire 30 ringtone I assigned rather than cutting it off after 5 seconds or so. Any ideas.
    This Hombrew app "my notifications" might be what you are looking for, it plays the entire length of the mp3 that you assign.

http://www.precentral.net/homebrew-apps/my-notification
  9.    #9  
    I tried "My Notifications" but it only assigns tones for notifications and calendar alerts, not message alerts. Maybe I should contact the person who made the homebrew app and see if they can add message alerts. Thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by drseale View Post
    If I remember right, this "feature" was introduced in 1.3.5. If you go back to that time frame you will find a lot of posts regarding this.

But, heck, if it keeps friends from disrupting a dinner party, then I'm all for it (although you make a very good point, I would like to have a tone that is quiet for the first 10 seconds since I always have it on vibrate and tone so if I catch the message before 10 seconds no one else has to hear it).
    I don't think you want it to play the whole tone...because currently there is no way of stopping the tone from playing...so everytime the tone played you would have to listen to it in its entirety. So if you in class or a meeting or getting intimate it will just go off and play for all 30 secs or w/e.
    The notification sound portion of My Notifications does cover sms notifications and will extend the ringtone but I also wish there was a different solution to this problem because the My Notifications app uses that tone for many different notifications including email and others, I wish we could just extend the play time of a sms notification
    I installed this to get the full ringtone to play. Launched and set my ringtone and it still only played a few seconds of the ringtone file! Any suggestions?
    Quote Originally Posted by noviet View Post
    I installed this to get the full ringtone to play. Launched and set my ringtone and it still only played a few seconds of the ringtone file! Any suggestions?
    Correction: I set my tone for a calendar reminder.... Did not play full file as stated here and on download page....