Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    When I first got my Pre, I thought that 8gb would be enough. Sure, I knew I could use a 16gb device...but, really, I didn't forsee having any issues with 8gb...or 6.6 or whatever it really is...

Well...I've now decided that I was a fool! I have about 200 mb left and I think I can free up another 1gb...but that's about it since I use eveything I have loaded pretty consistently. I've had to cut my music and podcasts by 3/4 and I've had to delete a bunch of ebooks..

The culprit?? Well...it appears to be apps, apps and more apps....but particularly the games! Loading a game, you think 200 mb is nothing...right? Shoot..you HAVE 6 gb to play with. Except....by the time you got around to getting games, you didn't have 6gb...and maybe you only had 1gb, right?
    I didn't care too much that Palm didn't create an SD backup for us...but now it's looking like shortsightedness, yes??

And while 16gb might seem enough now for the Pre Plus...especially for the Pre owners like me who've been around since month one...I can see that even 16gb will not be nearly enough with all the apps that will be released once the PDK comes online...well...the games, of course!
    I'm not a big game guy...but there's always been a fascination with having games on a handheld. Playing a Playstation doesn't appeal to me...but man! Having similar games on a phone?? Count me hooked!

I just blasted Avatar awhile back...but I got the game and guess what?? I'm hooked!! Typical!

Anyway..I"m just wondering if any Pre people have lost all their storage capacity and if so, what next?? Also, I know it's still too soon...but any Pre Plus owners finding 16 gb to be limiting? I can only hope that the Pre 2 (or whatever it's called) will come with a 32gb option.
    I used to think that iPhone users were nuts to need 32gb...but, well,,,I guess I have egg on my face now!

Other than that, I loooooove my Pre!
    Delete the games you don't play right now. You can always reinstall them later for free.
  3. computecam
    I think unfortunately one of the rules of technology is you can never have to much space...

As for me I suppose if I ever need more space (eight gigs is a bit small by today’s standards) I could host some streaming music, video, or pictures on Google sites or something?

I don’t understand why Palm left out a micro SD card slot though.
    Last edited by computecam; 02/17/2010 at 08:11 PM.
    Global Posts
    905 Global Posts
    I have 134 apps, (3 of the Laminar X-Plane flight Sim apps), 500 or so songs, audiobooks etc. and a handful of short videos.

I'm down to 1,1 gigs. I really want Avatar, but at 250 MB it's a 1/4 gig! and I always told myself I'd stop when I had 1 gig left, aaarrrgghhhh! ;-)

Every computing device I've ever used, (and I'm pretty old, so I've used alot of them), all started to perform like crap when the hard drives got close to full. I would think leaving a couple hundred MBs should be enough, but my motto has been, better safe than sorry.

So, no more big games until I upgrade to a webOS phone with more storage.

...and I sure hope it has a microSD card in it! (and as for deleting less used apps, well, it takes slightly less time than an eternity to download these 150 -250 MB games. A LOT longer than just launching it.)

16 gigs plus micro SD card (up to 32 gigs, then I'd be hard pressed to run out of memory)
    Quote Originally Posted by computecam View Post
    I don’t understand why Palm left out a micro SD card slot though.
    Maybe because the Palm's CEO is the father of the iPod or storage upgrades drive people to buy new devices.

Not that I totally agree with this, but I think that locking down the storage type helps to guarantee the performance of the device. There are lots of different SD media that run at different speeds.
    got me a 16 gb micro sd card collecting dust. not like it was doing anything in my instinct though. That phone was such a P.O.S. It took a good 6 minutes to load the mp3 player because it was scanning the micro sd card.
    i have 500Mb left, most space was eaten up by podcasts. I will do some house cleaning when I hit 200Mb.
    Just a quick tip to the OP, find a program to convert your audio down to a lower quality bitrate, because its on your phone you probably wont hear much difference, especially for the podcasts. If you haven't already done this, it will definately clear up space. I have 700 songs, over 130 programs, and still have a 1gb of space.
    yea I only keep about 150 songs on my pre. I use slacker radio to stream music most of the time, only use those 150 songs if I need to conserve battery. If I really want to listen to a wide selection of music, I sitll use my iPod.

I'm really worried when we get video recording, it's a feature I plan to use semi-frequently, and I'm not going to have a ton of space to do it. I still have about 4GB of space left, since we dont' have games here in Canada but I know that it'll go fast.

Palm *really* screwed up by making the Pre only 8GB, when it probably would have cost them a total of $10 more to bump it to 16GB even last year.
    I have over 700 songs on my Pre and some special photos and I still have 3 and half GB on my Pre, plenty of room when video recording comes out. I'm not into games, but if I was I would get a device (PSP or somthing) that is dedicate to gaming, you know with the proper control layout.
    Quote Originally Posted by ToddK View Post
    16 gigs plus micro SD card (up to 32 gigs, then I'd be hard pressed to run out of memory)
    If that happens, we will see you few month later complaining that you want 64 G, like someone else said, you can never have too much space.
    clearly leaving out a card slot was a big mistake for Palm. It was almost a deal beraker for me but after thinking about it I never wswapped out the 4gb card I had in my Treo. And so far I seem to be ok with 16gb. But still I hope Palm wisses up and adds a card option to the next WebOS phone.
    Global Posts
    810 Global Posts
    130 plus apps ***?? I can hardly find 5 good apps worth buying or downloading let alone 130..
    Quote Originally Posted by helidos View Post
    130 plus apps ***?? I can hardly find 5 good apps worth buying or downloading let alone 130..
    Indeed.
    yea not having a ton of apps helps, but the 8GB ceiling on the Sprint/Bell Pre really is a big problem. but even still, people who actually want to heavily use the phone as a true multimedia device are going to be the most frustrated with the space limit.
    Global Posts
    603 Global Posts
    Clearly the pre was not meant to be used as a multimedia device. How would they expect to cap Sprint users to 8GB, knowing that size of games & apps? Did they not factor users synching pictures, music and video? At least offer expandable memory for goodness sakes. I just watched the Nexus vs iPhone comparison video and realized how backwards Palm is....
    There will never be enough memory for some. Its like if I gave you 10 dollars you'd use that b/c at some point, as the saying goes, that 10 dollars will burn a hole in your pocket.

Palm or any phone manufacturer can provide a phone that has 64 gigs and two SDHC card slots you'll eat it up as soon as you get it b/c you want to put your 80,000 songs, 50 tv shows, 18 movies, 100 podcasts and 1,000 apps on your phone while never deleting the tv shows, movies or podcasts after you've watched or listened to them even though they're on your computer at home.

Sure, it is your right to do so, but let's remember that prolly the vast majority of users prolly aren't going to do all of that. I don't think there is a number that any manufacturer can provide that will satisfy everyone. You'll tell me today that you'd be happy if your phone had X amount of flash memory and 5 SDHD card slots, but two months from now you'll be telling me that you don't have enough.

Have you heard of that song 'Doing too much' by Paula Deanda ft Baby Bash? Well, some of you are doing too much with loading every single piece of media onto your cell phone.
    Are you trying to hurt me?
    Quote Originally Posted by playboy View Post
    There will never be enough memory for some. Its like if I gave you 10 dollars you'd use that b/c at some point, as the saying goes, that 10 dollars will burn a hole in your pocket.

Palm or any phone manufacturer can provide a phone that has 64 gigs and two SDHC card slots you'll eat it up as soon as you get it b/c you want to put your 80,000 songs, 50 tv shows, 18 movies, 100 podcasts and 1,000 apps on your phone while never deleting the tv shows, movies or podcasts after you've watched or listened to them even though they're on your computer at home.

Sure, it is your right to do so, but let's remember that prolly the vast majority of users prolly aren't going to do all of that. I don't think there is a number that any manufacturer can provide that will satisfy everyone. You'll tell me today that you'd be happy if your phone had X amount of flash memory and 5 SDHD card slots, but two months from now you'll be telling me that you don't have enough.

Have you heard of that song 'Doing too much' by Paula Deanda ft Baby Bash? Well, some of you are doing too much with loading every single piece of media onto your cell phone.
    well said
    Quote Originally Posted by playboy View Post

You are totally right and this poll backs up your opinion:

http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...nsion-you.html
    Global Posts
    905 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by htabbach View Post
    If that happens, we will see you few month later complaining that you want 64 G, like someone else said, you can never have too much space.
    I never ran out of memory with any device that had expandable storage.

Those cards are so small....
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast