Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    I would've preferred removable storage for a few reasons, including the ability to move information quickly from one device to another, and as an easy backup method in case of my phone breaking or necessitating a visit to the doctor (OTA backup is great, but not full-proof).

On the other hand, I'm nowhere near using 8 gigs on my phone. I have a lot of pics, but stream music when I want to listen to it or I use my Zune. Watching movies on a little screen has never been something that has floated my boat, I'll usually wait until I get home to watch on my plasma. Same goes for reading books, I have a Kindle for that. So that leaves me with games and pics. More than enough space for me.

As for the argument made by Wunderbar, I think a less technical user that has a lot of media is more likely to fill up space than a real techie. Most techies I know want to have a Kindle, a Zune or Ipod, a laptop or two, a psp,etc. A true gadget lover doesn't want one device that does everything ok. They want one of each of the best gadgets. The Pre is a good backup for everything media related, but is by no means the best gadget for everything media related. I don't think it's intended to be. It's cool to be able to fill up your phone with all the media you own, but it's not really necessary, at least not for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by wunderbar View Post
    3G is all fine and such, but until battery life significantly improves, and 3G coverage even more significantly improves, relying on it should not be the only way. I use Slacker Radio over 3G a lot, but it destroys the battery on a phone. So when battery life is more of a concern, locally stored files are a better choice. And what do I do when I'm in an area with low/no 3G, or I'm travelling and roaming, and don't want to pay $6/MB to listen to music?
    It's the same difference. If you listening or playing via locally stored, you're still using the battery. My point was that Microsoft is looking at the cloud as the next step and I'm sure others are as well. Heck Palm in some ways initiated the cloud centric focus with the introduction of the Pre. At some point apps will be the only thing you store locally. You'll access your music and photos OTA whether you use 2G, 3G or 4G.
    Are you trying to hurt me?
    3G is all fine and such, but until battery life significantly improves, and 3G coverage even more significantly improves, relying on it should not be the only way. I use Slacker Radio over 3G a lot, but it destroys the battery on a phone. So when battery life is more of a concern, locally stored files are a better choice. And what do I do when I'm in an area with low/no 3G, or I'm travelling and roaming, and don't want to pay $6/MB to listen to music?
    You're worried about battery life and yet your using your phone to listen to music and watch movies all of the time? You're not going to get great battery life watching movies or playing 3d games.
    Quote Originally Posted by oddlou View Post
    You're worried about battery life and yet your using your phone to listen to music and watch movies all of the time? You're not going to get great battery life watching movies or playing 3d games.
    For the third time, I do not use my pre to watch video. And I have tested, and I get about 8 hours of time listening to music stored locally from 100% to 0% battery. listening to streaming music over 3G is about 4 hours. That's 50% less battery life, which is *significantly* worse.
    Global Posts
    570 Global Posts
    I still have 4.9 gigs FREE. I have 400 songs on it. How in the world have you used 8 gigs? You must have downloaded a rediculous amount of apps. Go through and do some spring cleaning. Delete the apps you dont use often. I'm sure you dont use all those apps often, probably some of them not at all.

8 gigs is plenty for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by piaband View Post
    I still have 4.9 gigs FREE. I have 400 songs on it. How in the world have you used 8 gigs? You must have downloaded a rediculous amount of apps. Go through and do some spring cleaning. Delete the apps you dont use often. I'm sure you dont use all those apps often, probably some of them not at all.

8 gigs is plenty for me.
    Again, for the third time, I still do have 3GB free. But I do that because I know that I only have 8GB. But with features coming like video recording, etc. That will only put even more strain on what little space there is.
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by oddlou View Post
    Most techies I know want to have a Kindle, a Zune or Ipod, a laptop or two, a psp,etc. A true gadget lover doesn't want one device that does everything ok. They want one of each of the best gadgets. The Pre is a good backup for everything media related, but is by no means the best gadget for everything media related. I don't think it's intended to be. It's cool to be able to fill up your phone with all the media you own, but it's not really necessary, at least not for me.
    I am not a techie die hard, but there is something to be said for having ONE DEVICE. I don't have my Pre Plus yet, but am patiently waiting for the day I am able to buy one. Granted it will have 16 GB space. . .

I used to have a palm pda and a flip phone. I would carry them both in my pockets to and from work every day and use them both a great deal. I never did get my first smart phone until July of 2008. I was really looking forward to consolidating into one device and not have to carry two gadgets with me everywhere.

It really wasn't until a few months after I got my Centro that I became a podcast fanatic. I mentioned to my wife that I found an old mp3 player/voice recorder that I used years before to put a few songs on and record important memos from work or brainstorm ideas while driving. I really just wanted to pull the old audio files off of it, but I couldn't get the thing to work anymore. My wife then bought me a Creative Zen Stone Plus recorder/player. It has 2GB capacity and that's when I dove into the podcast scene. I store maybe 150MB of music on it, but I use is 95%+ of the time for the spoken word. So I am back to carrying around two gadgets everywhere.

Since last summer, I've been going back and forth in my head about saving up to buy a new ipod nano for myself to replace the Zen, but I've also been waiting for the launch of a webOS phone on Verizon. So now I am dropping focus on a new ipod and turning my attention to a Pre Plus - where I can have the best of three world's. One device that is my phone, my pda, and my podcast player.

Am I in the minority with this line of thinking? It may not be the best device for each of these uses, but if it works and leaves me with less gadgets weighing down my pockets then it's for me -- regardless of the capacity. (Of course, my Zen usage has been to listen to a new podcast once and either delete it, or save it to another storage device if I decide I might want to listen to it again or share it with someone else later).

So I'm hoping 16GB will be plenty of storage for me even across multiple uses.
    Palm IIIc --> m515 --> Tungsten T3 --> Centro --> Pre Plus --> HP Touchpad!!!

Tommy'sWorld | Rusty's Ramblings | No Coincidences | Words Of Wisdom . . . | Get Paid
    Global Posts
    22 Global Posts
    8 gigs is fine for me, i keep most of my music on my zune and backup my pics and stuff i need off my phone regularly(lost all my photos and contacts off my last phone when screen cracked, stupid helio and no support for vista). when video recoring comes out, i figure i'll save those to my puter regularly too so i dont have to worry about filling my phone up. But i agree having an sd slot would be nice to store movies and music, but i think apps would be locked to the phone.
    Global Posts
    570 Global Posts
    Again, for the third time, I still do have 3GB free. But I do that because I know that I only have 8GB. But with features coming like video recording, etc. That will only put even more strain on what little space there is.
    why in the *** do you think my post was directed at you? Is this ur thread? NO..it's not. Get off ur high horse loser
    Global Posts
    603 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Luke35 View Post

Am I in the minority with this line of thinking? It may not be the best device for each of these uses, but if it works and leaves me with less gadgets weighing down my pockets then it's for me -- regardless of the capacity. (Of course, my Zen usage has been to listen to a new podcast once and either delete it, or save it to another storage device if I decide I might want to listen to it again or share it with someone else later).

So I'm hoping 16GB will be plenty of storage for me even across multiple uses.
    Not at all, I think a lot of people here are just die hard Palm fans and are giving excuses for their shortcomings. For me that's what a smart phone is supposed to be a one stop shop device. It may not do they all well, but at least I don't have to carry a bunch of devices on me at once.

Ideally, your suppose to use you PC/laptop but when you dont have access to bootup a device, your smartphone should come in handy to fill in the void.
    Were not die hard fans, we are happy with our Pre's with 8 gigs (as the poll suggests). BEFORE I purchased my Pre, I did research on it and decided that 8 gigs was fine (had 8 gigs on my previous phone and was more than ample). No one pointed a gun to your head and forced you to puchase this phone, it's kind of strange to come in here and complain about something like this, do you think they can fix this with an OTA update or something? If you not happy that people don't agree with you than don't start a thread.
  12.    #52  
    Quote Originally Posted by netwrkr9 View Post
    I have over 700 songs on my Pre and some special photos and I still have 3 and half GB on my Pre, plenty of room when video recording comes out. I'm not into games, but if I was I would get a device (PSP or somthing) that is dedicate to gaming, you know with the proper control layout.
    Yeah...that's what I used to say...but, since I"m NOT into gaming that much, it doesn't make sense to plop down $250 for a PSP...and then $40/game! Nope...this works great for me....and it's simple enough for someone like me who grew up with Atari, Colecovision...and all the rest before stopping at the Sega Genesis, which only had 3 buttons...NOT 15 or whatever, like the consoles of today have!
    Plus, the games are cheap....they're very, very fun to pass time for a short while...and actually have decent replay value BECAUSE they're simple to use. When games become so complicated that you have to have had at least a minor in advanced particle physics, it's just not fun to play games any longer. I don't understand how anyone over 25 has the time to master these games!! I have to work for a living!
    Although, someone that young probably mastered the controls while in high school...but me? Nope...can't do!

Thanks for all the GREAT answers! I'm with y'all and feel ya. As far as deleting games, I have....because I have all of them at this point so there's no way I could load all of them AND still have room for my other files and apps. I agree with the poster who says that it takes forever and eternity to re-download a game again. For me, once it's gone...it's gone!

@netwrkr9 Uh, dude, don't get mad at the previous poster since I'm the one who started this thread.. Lol..and I love my Pre...so I'm not sure why you're so upset but chill dude. I just wanted to see if anyone else ran into the issues I did. I thought 8 gigs would be more than I could EVER use...and now, seeing as how I'm at 250 mb left...I find that even I...practically a Luddite compared to the rest of you...have managed to be mesmerized so much be technology that I've used up my whole HD! That's all!
    But I AM glad that you feel that strongly about your Pre...because we're the only ones who are supporting this device while the big boys (Apple,Google..and now Microsoft with Windows Phone) are doing everyting, imho, to prevent WebOS from dominating the market like it really should. After all, it IS the best phone OS I've yet used and that seems to have the most growth potential. Then again...I am biased aren't I?? Lol

I do find it interesting that a poster had SD capability with his Instinct and it took forever to load.. I used to have problems with my 2gb SD and my Treo 700w....so I didn't even think about how having a slot for memory card might cause problems with all the differences in speed for various cards.
    I do agree that I should use the online sites for things like pictures and even music...but I'm one of those paranoid types. I don't really want the whole world to have access to what I like or don't like. Been watching too many episodes of Leverage lately! Ha ha..
    But seriously...I'm not big on Facebook or anything like that because it makes me feel like a Jerry Springer studio guest...airing my personal life for everyone to see. But, that's me...and I do believe that Palm intended for people to use those sites because...well...that's what most people do.

Most of you have said that this device, unlike, say a laptop or even netbook...was never intended to store everything you have media related... But, how many of you find that you always want everything within reach?? I do...and I also got the Pre to be my one-stop device...as someone said earlier. I don't want to have a device for everything... I like that I can use the Pre as an iPod..a PSP....a netbook....a camera (soon video)...and, of course, a phone!! Lol...

Anyway...great stuff you all have posted. I thank you so much because, even if you don't realize it, you've given me lots of valuable information...including the use of OTA? Now I'm going to look into that so I can stream my music/podcasts/audio books instead of having to store them on my Pre. Shoot...audio books can take up to 500 mb! Yowza!
    Thanks again, everyone!
    Last edited by couch1970; 02/19/2010 at 08:06 PM.
    This is one of the shortcomings of marketing..........touting a small, relatively underpowered device as a do-it-all thigamajig. There isn't such a thing yet. If you want to carry a ton of music, and have great quality, a smartphone isn't for you. Likewise, if you want easily controlled 3D gaming, no, you don't want a phone. Books? I'll give you that one. Knock down the size using Mobipocket and get pReader on your Pre. I use it, works pretty darn good, if you don't mind the smaller screen. I like it for the backlight, I don't have to light up half the house to see it. You want all that, at the best quality, and lots of space, you still need seperate devices. As far as that goes, it didn't take Palm all that long to come up with the Pre Plus. Didn't do me much good, I'm not on Verizon, but still. Hope there that I might get something better at my next upgrade.

Look realistically at it. Do you need 1000 songs all the time? Pick the ones you want for a few days, and just load those. Don't buy ten huge games. Plan ahead.

Reminds me of a kid I had come to me last week, looking for a "lightning fast gaming computer" that would tear games apart. Great. Specced it out, right around $15,000 complete. What he REALLY wanted was a 24" widescreen, gaming keyboard and mouse, and oh, yeah.....something cheap to plug them into. Not that I couldn't build him a fine, great performing rig for $1500 or so, but one that would torch everybody he came across? Nope. Not at that price. He didn't buy from me, but he did leave with a better understanding of what can and can't be done within the scope of a product.

Personally, I have about 20 CD's loaded, 30 or so books, a couple of bigger games, and a few apps I use, I still have 4 gigs free.
    I'm doubtful, but just wondering if anyone's tried plugging in an external storage device into the pre's micro usb port.
    Quote Originally Posted by playboy View Post
    There will never be enough memory for some. Its like if I gave you 10 dollars you'd use that b/c at some point, as the saying goes, that 10 dollars will burn a hole in your pocket.

Palm or any phone manufacturer can provide a phone that has 64 gigs and two SDHC card slots you'll eat it up as soon as you get it b/c you want to put your 80,000 songs, 50 tv shows, 18 movies, 100 podcasts and 1,000 apps on your phone while never deleting the tv shows, movies or podcasts after you've watched or listened to them even though they're on your computer at home.

Sure, it is your right to do so, but let's remember that prolly the vast majority of users prolly aren't going to do all of that. I don't think there is a number that any manufacturer can provide that will satisfy everyone. You'll tell me today that you'd be happy if your phone had X amount of flash memory and 5 SDHD card slots, but two months from now you'll be telling me that you don't have enough.

Have you heard of that song 'Doing too much' by Paula Deanda ft Baby Bash? Well, some of you are doing too much with loading every single piece of media onto your cell phone.
    Couldn't of said it any better, you can free up memory meanwhile.
    Leke, wunderbar, I'm with you all the way. I've got about 989 songs and oh, 0.4GB left. No, I don't have to have all those songs on there, but I put them on there to listen to new albums whenever I get the time, I like the convenience (OTA music? Sorry, I will not be dependent on my data connection for my music) syncing the Pre is a *****. Yes, there's a somewhat convenient method on Linux, I use Banshee, but it doesn't support playlists all that well (which is partly the Pre's fault). I mean, it's okay, I knew what I got when I brought the phone, but saying we're the minority here makes me think you guys are like my mother, who hasn't gone beyond 30GB on a 250GB harddrive because she barely uses the computer or the people on these forums advocating saving battery by turning off the phone radio...on a phone.
    Quote Originally Posted by helidos View Post
    130 plus apps ***?? I can hardly find 5 good apps worth buying or downloading let alone 130..
    Yeah, I had a bunch of apps on there, but if you really go through it and ask yourself when was the last time you used most of them you will see that most of them are useless. Granted there are some like flashlight that I use only occasionally but the list really comes down to like 30apps that I have really used more than a few times.
    Tell Palm to put in a MicroSD slot
    Quote Originally Posted by Leke View Post
    Are you serious? So I guess I should govern my life to only 3G areas. God forbid I'm in anything less than 3G, I might as well get used to choppy music streams.
    Yeah, exactly. Or, in my case, I often go hours without any cell coverage. Any internet-based phone, or phone that's limited to the cloud, is worthless to our company. That's why we'll all keep buying and operating with 755p's until someone makes a sensible solution.

Before last June, who could have ever guessed that Palm itself would market a phone that tens of thousands of their own customers can't use...

9 months later I'm still checking here every week or two looking for that solution. What a wasted opportunity for palm.
    My PDA history: ditched pre and upgraded back to the Treo 755p, Palm PRE, Treo 755p, 650, 600, TMobile Pocket PC, Visor Platinum, Kyocera Palmphone, Treo 300, Visor Silver, Ipaq H3600, Orig Handspring, and various and sundry other early iterations of PDA's.
    I have 4 full lenth movies, many games and apps... and about 10 full cd's on my pre.. 200+ photos and 50 videos (so far) ... I still have gobs of space!
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123