Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Oh, I will fully admit that if you give me 32GB I could fill it. But in 2009, when apple had put out a phone with 32GB for the same price as to what Palm originally had the 8GB pre at, there is something wrong with that. I'd love 128GB in a phone, but being realistic, 8GB simply was not enough memory.

The cost difference of flash memory in a bulk quantity like what palm is buying it at is trivial. If palm knew everything on the roadmap that they were going to be doing with the Pre, 3D gaming, video recording, etc. they should have known that 8GB would last a dedicated user, the one buying more apps, the ones using the phone to it's fullest, would fill it in about 15 minutes.

Dont' take this the wrong way though. I bought the pre knowing I'd have storage issues, and I paid for it anyway, and I'm not regretting that I own the pre. I just Palm would have thought a few things through a little better on the device. I have about 18 months before I can upgrade at a decent price (bloody Canada and our 3 year contracts), and I know I'm going to struggle with storage space until then.
    Global Posts
    810 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by playboy View Post
    There will never be enough memory for some. Its like if I gave you 10 dollars you'd use that b/c at some point, as the saying goes, that 10 dollars will burn a hole in your pocket.

Palm or any phone manufacturer can provide a phone that has 64 gigs and two SDHC card slots you'll eat it up as soon as you get it b/c you want to put your 80,000 songs, 50 tv shows, 18 movies, 100 podcasts and 1,000 apps on your phone while never deleting the tv shows, movies or podcasts after you've watched or listened to them even though they're on your computer at home.

Sure, it is your right to do so, but let's remember that prolly the vast majority of users prolly aren't going to do all of that. I don't think there is a number that any manufacturer can provide that will satisfy everyone. You'll tell me today that you'd be happy if your phone had X amount of flash memory and 5 SDHD card slots, but two months from now you'll be telling me that you don't have enough.

Have you heard of that song 'Doing too much' by Paula Deanda ft Baby Bash? Well, some of you are doing too much with loading every single piece of media onto your cell phone.
    You hit the nail on the head..

Not to mention they will load the highest quality of every one of those even though cutting the quality by half will result in the same experience and less space used....
    Quote Originally Posted by wunderbar View Post
    Oh, I will fully admit that if you give me 32GB I could fill it. But in 2009, when apple had put out a phone with 32GB for the same price as to what Palm originally had the 8GB pre at, there is something wrong with that. I'd love 128GB in a phone, but being realistic, 8GB simply was not enough memory.

The cost difference of flash memory in a bulk quantity like what palm is buying it at is trivial. If palm knew everything on the roadmap that they were going to be doing with the Pre, 3D gaming, video recording, etc. they should have known that 8GB would last a dedicated user, the one buying more apps, the ones using the phone to it's fullest, would fill it in about 15 minutes.

Dont' take this the wrong way though. I bought the pre knowing I'd have storage issues, and I paid for it anyway, and I'm not regretting that I own the pre. I just Palm would have thought a few things through a little better on the device. I have about 18 months before I can upgrade at a decent price (bloody Canada and our 3 year contracts), and I know I'm going to struggle with storage space until then.
    Again, you're stuck on what YOU do. You post on Precentral and you use your phone for 3D gaming, video recording and storing lots of apps and music. Hey, guess what? You're not the typical consumer. OK! Let's remember that when we start to pontificate on P|C about what Palm should have done.

Palm and every manufacturer has research that neither you nor me have access to. If that research showed that the vast majority of users will take their cell phones and store every single piece of media he/she has, and then store 20 3D games on the device along with 500 apps then you'd have seen Apple, Palm, HTC and others create phones that have expandable memory and 180 gigs of flash right from the start.

Saying they should have KNOWN that 8 gigs would not have been enough is laughable. Once again, for you 8 gigs is not enough. For the vast majority 8 gigs is more than enough. If you would have said that for Palm to have hardware that is in line with what the market leaders are producing, they should have included more than 8 gigs, then I would agree from that standpoint.

But to say that they should have included more than 8 gigs b/c the vast majority will use it all is just short-sided. The Pre Plus has 16 gigs and the next gen prolly will have 32 gigs or more b/c that seems to be the spec that most phones are beginning to arrive with.
    Are you trying to hurt me?
    Again, you're stuck on what YOU do. You post on Precentral and you use your phone for 3D gaming, video recording and storing lots of apps and music. Hey, guess what? You're not the typical consumer. OK! Let's remember that when we start to pontificate on P|C about what Palm should have done.

Palm and every manufacturer has research that neither you nor me have access to. If that research showed that the vast majority of users will take their cell phones and store every single piece of media he/she has, and then store 20 3D games on the device along with 500 apps then you'd have seen Apple, Palm, HTC and others create phones that have expandable memory and 180 gigs of flash right from the start.

Saying they should have KNOWN that 8 gigs would not have been enough is laughable. Once again, for you 8 gigs is not enough. For the vast majority 8 gigs is more than enough. If you would have said that for Palm to have hardware that is in line with what the market leaders are producing, they should have included more than 8 gigs, then I would agree from that standpoint.

But to say that they should have included more than 8 gigs b/c the vast majority will use it all is just short-sided. The Pre Plus has 16 gigs and the next gen prolly will have 32 gigs or more b/c that seems to be the spec that most phones are being to arrive with.
    Actually, I don't do any 3D gaming, or have any video on my Pre. I'm still good with 3GB of space left.

What I am comparing the Pre to is the iPhone. Before you groan about that, lets go over an example that I have literally from 2 days ago. A very good friend of mine upgraded from a BlackBerry Pearl 8130 phone to a 32GB 3GS. She's one of my best friends in the world and I love her to death, but she's pretty much completely inept when it comes to computers. She somehow managed to switch her keyboard layout to spanish one day, still have no ****ing idea how she managed that. She got her phone, and within 18 hours had put 24GB of data on it. Her muisc collection, 5-6 movies that she purchased from the iTunes store, and about 35 apps, none of them were games. She hadn't even used the video recording feature yet, and that was one of the first reasons she got the 3GS.

This person is about as "typical" a user as you get, and guarantee you is in the #1 demographic that Palm, Apple, RIM, etc study. And she managed to put 24GB of data onto her phone within a day.

I know 6-7 people with iPhones. I should ask them how much memory they have left on it. I guarantee you that except for maybe 2, all of them are going to be using well over 8GB.

EDIT: Actually I do know one of them off by heart. My aunt has an iPhone, I helped her get started with it, showing her all the feautres. she has a 16GB 3G. And last I looked, which was about 3 weeks ago, she had 12GB used on it. This is a ~50 year old woman who doesnt' even know what an internet forum is, and still uses the google search bar to type in "www.facebook.com" (I know, I've tried to get her to stop). And *she* has 12GB of used space on her phone. I'm not talking about just MY usage here. I'm talking about what I see on a day to day basis, from all demographics.
    Global Posts
    905 Global Posts
    ...Let's remember that when we start to pontificate on P|C

Talk about pontificating!
    Global Posts
    603 Global Posts

But to say that they should have included more than 8 gigs b/c the vast majority will use it all is just short-sided. The Pre Plus has 16 gigs and the next gen prolly will have 32 gigs or more b/c that seems to be the spec that most phones are beginning to arrive with.
    Some of you guys must seriously live in the stone ages and will defend palm even if they shot your momma....

Show me a brand new laptop, not netbook with 8GB of memory. Obviously there is a demand for more memory, faster processor etc..

Your right for some 8GB might be plenty enough, but don't boast about a devices capabilities yet limit it to a small list because of flash memory.

Like I said this device is clearly not meant for multi-media, if they expect users to store video, pictures, 3D games locally on the device. We have not even touched on documents, audio files. At least give the option of expandable memory
    Does anyone remember back in the 90's when we used to stack 2 hard drives to get 500 megs? lol Now they have 128 GB SDHC media cards, amazing. That's how dynamic this industry is, when Palm designed the Pre, 8 GB was respectable size and now given how the technology in this field has exploded and the prices per GB has dramatically dropped, the next generation of Palm devices will keep in step with the industry.
    Last edited by netwrkr9; 02/18/2010 at 11:32 AM.
    Global Posts
    443 Global Posts
    ...Sure, it is your right to do so, but let's remember that prolly the vast majority of users prolly aren't going to do all of that. I don't think there is a number that any manufacturer can provide that will satisfy everyone...
    At first I thought it was a typo.
    Then it appeared twice so I thought it was a misspelling.

By now however, I have seen 'prolly' used instead of 'probably' so many many, that I am beginning to think it is a chat shorthand.

But it only saves 2 characters of typing and it sounds funny! How did this ever catch on?
    Prolly because everyone likes using it. lol
    Global Posts
    810 Global Posts
    Actually, I don't do any 3D gaming, or have any video on my Pre. I'm still good with 3GB of space left.

What I am comparing the Pre to is the iPhone. Before you groan about that, lets go over an example that I have literally from 2 days ago. A very good friend of mine upgraded from a BlackBerry Pearl 8130 phone to a 32GB 3GS. She's one of my best friends in the world and I love her to death, but she's pretty much completely inept when it comes to computers. She somehow managed to switch her keyboard layout to spanish one day, still have no ****ing idea how she managed that. She got her phone, and within 18 hours had put 24GB of data on it. Her muisc collection, 5-6 movies that she purchased from the iTunes store, and about 35 apps, none of them were games. She hadn't even used the video recording feature yet, and that was one of the first reasons she got the 3GS.

This person is about as "typical" a user as you get, and guarantee you is in the #1 demographic that Palm, Apple, RIM, etc study. And she managed to put 24GB of data onto her phone within a day.

I know 6-7 people with iPhones. I should ask them how much memory they have left on it. I guarantee you that except for maybe 2, all of them are going to be using well over 8GB.

EDIT: Actually I do know one of them off by heart. My aunt has an iPhone, I helped her get started with it, showing her all the feautres. she has a 16GB 3G. And last I looked, which was about 3 weeks ago, she had 12GB used on it. This is a ~50 year old woman who doesnt' even know what an internet forum is, and still uses the google search bar to type in "www.facebook.com" (I know, I've tried to get her to stop). And *she* has 12GB of used space on her phone. I'm not talking about just MY usage here. I'm talking about what I see on a day to day basis, from all demographics.
    The same could be said about people who use less. Take my aunt and uncle for example both have upgraded from 16gb 3g to 32gb 3gs for no reason other than to shoot video here or there.

I manage almost 90% of all their tech needs ( example I drove 30mins to sync their new phones) and to this day nether have used more than 8gb on either phone and both carry around a few hundred songs/pics etc. Both are over the age of 50....

We can all compare what we have experienced in our life but if fails in comparison to the marketing research that the phone manufactors spend millions and millions on.

I mean come on I can fill a few TB of space with just music I have collected over the years but doesn't mean as soon as a phone comes out with 2 tb of space I'm gonna dump it all into the phone just because I can.
    Quote Originally Posted by couch1970 View Post
    When I first got my Pre, I thought that 8gb would be enough. Sure, I knew I could use a 16gb device...but, really, I didn't forsee having any issues with 8gb...or 6.6 or whatever it really is...

Well...I've now decided that I was a fool! I have about 200 mb left and I think I can free up another 1gb...but that's about it since I use eveything I have loaded pretty consistently. I've had to cut my music and podcasts by 3/4 and I've had to delete a bunch of ebooks..

The culprit?? Well...it appears to be apps, apps and more apps....but particularly the games! Loading a game, you think 200 mb is nothing...right? Shoot..you HAVE 6 gb to play with. Except....by the time you got around to getting games, you didn't have 6gb...and maybe you only had 1gb, right?
    I didn't care too much that Palm didn't create an SD backup for us...but now it's looking like shortsightedness, yes??

And while 16gb might seem enough now for the Pre Plus...especially for the Pre owners like me who've been around since month one...I can see that even 16gb will not be nearly enough with all the apps that will be released once the PDK comes online...well...the games, of course!
    I'm not a big game guy...but there's always been a fascination with having games on a handheld. Playing a Playstation doesn't appeal to me...but man! Having similar games on a phone?? Count me hooked!

I just blasted Avatar awhile back...but I got the game and guess what?? I'm hooked!! Typical!

Anyway..I"m just wondering if any Pre people have lost all their storage capacity and if so, what next?? Also, I know it's still too soon...but any Pre Plus owners finding 16 gb to be limiting? I can only hope that the Pre 2 (or whatever it's called) will come with a 32gb option.
    I used to think that iPhone users were nuts to need 32gb...but, well,,,I guess I have egg on my face now!

Other than that, I loooooove my Pre!
    I agree with you ! The Pre is nothing short of a ingenious phone. However it's not old fashioned ;0).
    The concept is: get what you need OTA. Stream your music to your Pre... View your pictures from a flickr app, etc.
    All of a sudden 8Gb is quite alot ;0), and you don't need to sync eg. your latest music. You just play it !

I hear you. There is an exception to every rule. However, saying that your friend used 24 gigs of the 32 gigs is different from someone saying, 'Hey I used all of my memory and I need more'. She still hasn't used all of it. Maybe she will. But again, if you've watched the movie once or twice on your device, or I've watched Gossip Girl, do you really need to archive the movie? I'm just saying.
    Global Posts
    603 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by karstenskov View Post
    I agree with you ! The Pre is nothing short of a ingenious phone. However it's not old fashioned ;0).
    The concept is: get what you need OTA. Stream your music to your Pre... View your pictures from a flickr app, etc.
    All of a sudden 8Gb is quite alot ;0), and you don't need to sync eg. your latest music. You just play it !
    Are you serious? So I guess I should govern my life to only 3G areas. God forbid I'm in anything less than 3G, I might as well get used to choppy music streams.
    Quote Originally Posted by Leke View Post
    Some of you guys must seriously live in the stone ages and will defend palm even if they shot your momma....

Show me a brand new laptop, not netbook with 8GB of memory. Obviously there is a demand for more memory, faster processor etc..

Your right for some 8GB might be plenty enough, but don't boast about a devices capabilities yet limit it to a small list because of flash memory.

Like I said this device is clearly not meant for multi-media, if they expect users to store video, pictures, 3D games locally on the device. We have not even touched on documents, audio files. At least give the option of expandable memory
    I wouldn't say that I live in the stone ages. It's not about defending Palm. Its about realizing that the vast majority, fly-over country, the 80 percenters will not use 90% of the storage provided.

Sure there is/will be a demand for more memory and faster processors. That's just the way things are. In tech the improvements come every 6 months or faster, which means that at some point your lapper, smartphone, desktop, HD tv reciever, MP3 player or what have you will always be behind whatever is the lasted or greatest.

Like I said before, how many people are going to store every single piece of media he/she has along with 500 apps, 10 movies, 10 episodes of Gossip Girl and Private Practice, 10 3D games at $6.99 a pop, 10 Excel, Word and Powerpoint documents that are much easier to edit on your work computer onto their smartphone?
    I hear you. There is an exception to every rule. However, saying that your friend used 24 gigs of the 32 gigs is different from someone saying, 'Hey I used all of my memory and I need more'. She still hasn't used all of it. Maybe she will. But again, if you've watched the movie once or twice on your device, or I've watched Gossip Girl, do you really need to archive the movie? I'm just saying.
    No, she hadn't filled it, because she got the 32GB version. I'd like to see her try to put 24GB of stuff onto an 8 or 16GB device

and I imagine she'll always be around there. I taught her how to rip DVD's so she can watch them on her iPhone(thank you to handbrake for being dead simple), and she's already ripped 3-4 DVD's, and will put them on her iPhone when she's done with the ones she has on.

The typical 18-30 year old user needs more than 8GB. They needed more than 8GB last year. I got a txt message back from 2 of the people I know with iPhone's, one of them has 14 out of 16GB used, another has 10GB out of 16GB used. And again, these are not what I'd call "technical" users by any stretch. These are people who buy music from iTunes, take pictures, and download apps/games to their devices, i.e. the typical iPhone user.
    Are you serious? So I guess I should govern my life to only 3G areas. God forbid I'm in anything less than 3G, I might as well get used to choppy music streams.
    The poster you're quoting is right. Look at Microsoft's WinMob 7 Series. You'll be able to view your photos without storing them locally. At somepoint I'd imagine you'll be able to listen to your music with storing it locally. The cloud is the next step. Your phone will probably just be used to store apps locally.
    No, she hadn't filled it, because she got the 32GB version. I'd like to see her try to put 24GB of stuff onto an 8 or 16GB device

and I imagine she'll always be around there. I taught her how to rip DVD's so she can watch them on her iPhone(thank you to handbrake for being dead simple), and she's already ripped 3-4 DVD's, and will put them on her iPhone when she's done with the ones she has on.

The typical 18-30 year old user needs more than 8GB. They needed more than 8GB last year. I got a txt message back from 2 of the people I know with iPhone's, one of them has 14 out of 16GB used, another has 10GB out of 16GB used. And again, these are not what I'd call "technical" users by any stretch. These are people who buy music from iTunes, take pictures, and download apps/games to their devices, i.e. the typical iPhone user.
    Again, I hear ya. But the 32 gig option is available to those with the Iphone. I never said that you can fit 24 gigs onto 8 gigs. However, you can't forget that Palm has an 16 gig device. I have it. They'll prolly have 32 or more gigs in their next gen device.

The question I posited before is still the same. How much memory is enough?
    Global Posts
    603 Global Posts
    I wouldn't say that I live in the stone ages. It's not about defending Palm. Its about realizing that the vast majority, fly-over country, the 80 percenters will not use 90% of the storage provided.

Sure there is/will be a demand for more memory and faster processors. That's just the way things are. In tech the improvements come every 6 months or faster, which means that at some point your lapper, smartphone, desktop, HD tv reciever, MP3 player or what have you will always be behind whatever is the lasted or greatest.

Like I said before, how many people are going to store every single piece of media he/she has along with 500 apps, 10 movies, 10 episodes of Gossip Girl and Private Practice, 10 3D games at $6.99 a pop, 10 Excel, Word and Powerpoint documents that are much easier to edit on your work computer onto their smartphone?
    I've said it before, those of you purchasing those apps are wasting your money. Those are the same apps and 3D games on the iphone for .99 cents or FREE. Obviously the quantity is not the issue, just two movies alone can break a huge chunk of your space, individual MP3's are no longer 1MB, they're at least 5MB for each track. So that limits how many albums you can add to your device.
    The poster you're quoting is right. Look at Microsoft's WinMob 7 Series. You'll be able to view your photos without storing them locally. At somepoint I'd imagine you'll be able to listen to your music with storing it locally. The cloud is the next step. Your phone will probably just be used to store apps locally.
    3G is all fine and such, but until battery life significantly improves, and 3G coverage even more significantly improves, relying on it should not be the only way. I use Slacker Radio over 3G a lot, but it destroys the battery on a phone. So when battery life is more of a concern, locally stored files are a better choice. And what do I do when I'm in an area with low/no 3G, or I'm travelling and roaming, and don't want to pay $6/MB to listen to music?
    I've said it before, those of you purchasing those apps are wasting your money. Those are the same apps and 3D games on the iphone for .99 cents or FREE. Obviously the quantity is not the issue, just two moves alone can break a huge chunk of your space, individual MP3's are no longer 1MB, they're at least 5MB for each track. So that limits how many albums you can add to your device.
    I hear you about paying for apps. I don't download one if it isn't free. I have better ways to spend my money.

The size of a MP3 song can always be reduced by lowering the quality using free software that can do that. I use Audacity. You can prolly get it down to 640K and it should sound fine on a smartphone. I do the same thing when I create my ringtones. That opens things up even more.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast