View Poll Results: Will you remove patches before 1.4?

Voters
480. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I don't trust those Preware guys.

108 22.50%
  • No, it'll be fine!

360 75.00%
  • What is a patch?

12 2.50%
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456
    Global Posts
    54 Global Posts
    Me too!
    I bet this has already been said but just in case. Can we change the names of the choices for this? Mainly the first one. I will be removing my patches but it's not in any way because I'm untrusting, but because it's always better to be safe, rather than sorry. I have no doubt that the Preware guys have done a spectacular job, but every phone is ever so slightly different and you really can never have 100% success with something. Even if it turns out that 99% of the patched phones go through this fine, I have no plans to be in the one %.

Just my two cents.
    Fifteen minutes (Roam only in Device Menu) has been updating! Fifteen! Whats wrong! I am having lots of Preware problems. I can't get it to work right since 1.3.5.1 crap
    I just like starting from a clean factory default phone.

I might not do it at first, but I usually end up doing a doctor.

Rob
    Robert L
    Astoria Queens, N.Y.C
    - Palm Pre (Sprint) - formally Palm Treo 650
    Version 1.4.1.1
    Sprint Configuration 2.3
    Model: P100EWW
    Hardware Version: A
    Firmware: CC1.4(510)

Everyone can always EPR after the update too if anything goes wrong.

-Eric G

WebOS Internals Developer.
    Follow me on Twitter for updates to my projects: | Virtual Keyboard | wIRC | SuperTux | AUPT | KeyBoss | freeTether |

Donate
    I'm going to wait and see if there was any fall out from the new OS interfering with patches. If most of the people here have no problems I'll the do the OS update myself without removing any of mine.
    there's no way i'll ever say i don't trust these guys. First of all they've done nothing but release fantastic software since the beginning. Not to mention they've had the update for a while and have been able to test the hell out of everything. I feel 100% comfortable not uninstalling my updates.
  8.    #108  
    I'm honored that my poll is referenced on the front page. Below is a copy paste of my reply to the article. Some may think I have trust issues, but as J Edgar Hoover said "Trust, but verify."

Seems I created a bit of a monster when I used the word "Trust" in my poll. When it boils down to it, we trust patch authors very much. We trust that what the patch says it will do, it will. Yes they are open source, but most of us don't possess the knowledge to determine that a patch is doing exactly what it says. So we have to trust them to some extent.

Several people have made the point that Microsoft releases patches every month. They spend countless hours regression testing, bug checking etc. Most big companies don't "trust" that these patches will work on their systems. My company rolls them out is stages. Through OUR Development environment, OUR test environment, finally into OUR production environment. It just makes good sense.

While I do trust Rod and WebOS Internals on some level, (I would definitely buy them all a round if they come to the Chicago area) I can't be blamed if I want to see how things play out for other users first, or how 1.4 interacts with it, or how my specific combination of patches will work. As an IT administrator in my 9-5 I am paid to think pessimistically. What can go wrong? What haven't we thought of that can bite us in the *****?

I love to be proven wrong in these types of scenarios. I hope 1.4 comes out tomorrow, and every one who does an OTA update hits the "Update All" button in Preware or WebOSQI and things work fine. There is nothing wrong with a healthy bit of skepticism. The skepticism in this is normal. We are being told that the conventional wisdom of "Remove all your patches before you update" has been replaced with a new wisdom of "Don't worry, we got your back"..
    i only removed the led notification patch....the rest is staying.
    I'll try it with the patches installed. What the heck it is almost impossible to brick this phone anyway... (Note: Before flaming me with brimstone I did say almost =) )
    I am going to remove them just to see what a 'pure' WebOS 1.4 experience is like.
    ^
    good point...i may remove them as well just to feel the stock 1.4.

i have never doctored my pre, does it takes a long time? and what happens when the phone finishes doctoring?
    Quote Originally Posted by fortes89 View Post
    ^
    good point...i may remove them as well just to feel the stock 1.4.

i have never doctored my pre, does it takes a long time? and what happens when the phone finishes doctoring?
    quick answer, it restores your phone to factory settings.
    Palm - webOS Doctor for Palm Pre for Sprint
    I didn't find out of we need to get rid of the Precorder app along with GStreamer? Does anyone know if that will conflict with the update?
    I am equivalent to a man dammit.
    Quote Originally Posted by voltageROCK View Post
    I didn't find out of we need to get rid of the Precorder app along with GStreamer? Does anyone know if that will conflict with the update?
    It's an app and service, so technically does not need to be removed. It specifically does not modify any Palm files (WebOS Internals is very careful about only patches modifying Palm files).

However, it will be superseded by stock functionality in the next webOS version according to the CES presentation.

So, you can choose to remove it either before or after an OTA update.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    The Preware guys have done a fantastic job. If it weren't for them I probably would have ditched my Pre months ago. I'll be keeping my patches on. Worst case senario I have to doctor my Pre. Not a big deal considering I've already had to do it twice within a week :/
    Quote Originally Posted by alan7467 View Post
    The Preware guys have done a fantastic job. If it weren't for them I probably would have ditched my Pre months ago. I'll be keeping my patches on. Worst case senario I have to doctor my Pre. Not a big deal considering I've already had to do it twice within a week :/
    +FUN
    I am equivalent to a man dammit.
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456