View Poll Results: Will you remove patches before 1.4?

Voters
480. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I don't trust those Preware guys.

108 22.50%
  • No, it'll be fine!

360 75.00%
  • What is a patch?

12 2.50%
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    I have faith in the WebOs Internals guys, I have 40 patches on my Pre and they've been helping me fix a few stuck ones. I have one artifact of a deleted patch that won't verify. As soon as I get that fixed I'm good to go.
    "Patience, use the force, think." Obi-Wan

Ready to try Preware? Get this first: Preware Homebrew Documentation
    Global Posts
    35 Global Posts
    Probably gonna doctor my Pre just before updating it, not because I don't trust Preware, its just that I did a partial erase of my phone for unrelated Preware reasons and in the process Preware no longer recognized my patches, nor my theme even though the patches and theme were still functioning on the phone. I trust and love these guys at Preware, I have 84 total packages installed. I just screwed up somehow with the partial erase and no matter what I've done to try correct it, nothing has worked. So just before the update, I'll EPR it or doctor it, which ever works better, just to be safe.
    Global Posts
    62 Global Posts
    Since they say to remove Theme before installing upgrades I followed the instructions on how to do this with WebOS quick install with the "revert to default". It said "Theme Removed" and the phone did its quick re-set, but the Theme is still there??? I was using the I-Phone icon theme.

Anyone have any suggestions, or should I just load the WebOS upgrade over theme?

In the long run, however it would be nice to know I can remove this.
    Quote Originally Posted by ldpalm View Post
    Since they say to remove Theme before installing upgrades I followed the instructions on how to do this with WebOS quick install with the "revert to default". It said "Theme Removed" and the phone did its quick re-set, but the Theme is still there??? I was using the I-Phone icon theme.

Anyone have any suggestions, or should I just load the WebOS upgrade over theme?

In the long run, however it would be nice to know I can remove this.
    I had that problem once. If you have Preware, 1-find the identical theme, 2-reinstall it,
    3-remove it.
    "Patience, use the force, think." Obi-Wan

Ready to try Preware? Get this first: Preware Homebrew Documentation
    I always have a habit of doctoring my phone before an update, clean install, no patches, nada
    Quote Originally Posted by quickrahn View Post
    Probably gonna doctor my Pre just before updating it, not because I don't trust Preware, its just that I did a partial erase of my phone for unrelated Preware reasons and in the process Preware no longer recognized my patches, nor my theme even though the patches and theme were still functioning on the phone. I trust and love these guys at Preware, I have 84 total packages installed. I just screwed up somehow with the partial erase and no matter what I've done to try correct it, nothing has worked. So just before the update, I'll EPR it or doctor it, which ever works better, just to be safe.
    I would also suggest you partial erase and doctor it eventually, but in the meantime you can try running the Emergency Service Enabler.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Patch removal? hahahah. I straight up Doctor my Pre for major updates(with backup ofcourse)
    Nothing like a fresh clean start. I do it(format) to my PC's quarterly(with back up).
    Ill just add my patches later. Only 55 it wont take long.
    Global Posts
    141 Global Posts
    I would leave em on cept vkb and remove themes of course worse comes to worse I'll visit the doc and if that doesn't work I'll have a real nice paper weight have faith the force is strong in preware
    Hi all, I have been out of town for a few days, (my g/f had to have surgery, thank G=D she is a ok now), so I do not know if the 1.4 update has happened yet, (I don"t yet have a pre, (I am still stuck with my Centro until Oct). If so how goes it? If not when is it happening?
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    Global Posts
    35 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    I would also suggest you partial erase and doctor it eventually, but in the meantime you can try running the Emergency Service Enabler.

-- Rod
    Thanks for the info Rod, will give it a try.
    There was some discussion in http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...-update-7.html about reports of problems with AUPT. The people who started that thread did not contact me, and the thread was closed before I woke up (I live in the GMT+10:30 timezone).

I would like to make it very clear that there are no known problems with AUPT version 3, and when the next version of webOS arrives you will have the options of updating all your patches with Preware or WebOS Quick Install. You also always have the option of removing all your patches with Preware or WebOS Quick Install either before or after an OTA update. Note that we intentionally have redundancy of tools here - either tool can install or remove AUPT patches, even ones that the other tool has installed.

I want to reiterate that we understand that some people will trust the AUPT technology, and some people will want to remove all their patches before an OTA update. And that's perfectly fine.

I personally think that each individual should make their own choice, and should not disparage the choice that any other individual decides to make.

Having said that, we believe the technology is sound.

-- Rod
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    I'm gonna remove my theme and enable LED notifications patch as soon as I see 1.4 is ready for download. I trust that the rest of the patches will be safe to leave on.
    Quote Originally Posted by quickrahn View Post
    After a partial erase, all your package data is gone. You can install "Emergency Patch Installer" (EPI) to re-install patch packages data so that they show as installed in Preware again.

-Eric G

WebOS Internals Developer.
    Follow me on Twitter for updates to my projects: | Virtual Keyboard | wIRC | SuperTux | AUPT | KeyBoss | freeTether |

Donate
  14.    #94  
    There was some discussion in http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...-update-7.html about reports of problems with AUPT. The people who started that thread did not contact me, and the thread was closed before I woke up (I live in the GMT+10:30 timezone).

I would like to make it very clear that there are no known problems with AUPT version 3, and when the next version of webOS arrives you will have the options of updating all your patches with Preware or WebOS Quick Install. You also always have the option of removing all your patches with Preware or WebOS Quick Install either before or after an OTA update. Note that we intentionally have redundancy of tools here - either tool can install or remove AUPT patches, even ones that the other tool has installed.

I want to reiterate that we understand that some people will trust the AUPT technology, and some people will want to remove all their patches before an OTA update. And that's perfectly fine.

I personally think that each individual should make their own choice, and should not disparage the choice that any other individual decides to make.

Having said that, we believe the technology is sound.

-- Rod
    Thanks Rod. That thread caused a mass amount of confusion. Jason was able to sound off on that thread and quash some of the speculations that thread caused, it's too bad you didn't get to say your peace too.

My thread's purpose was to ease my curiosity on how many people plan on using AUPT and how many people want to have other people try it first or wait till version x. Like I've said before, not ment to take a shot at you guys at all. It appears that about 66% of people plan on rolling with the AUPT and I say good for them. I may join them, but I'm still torn.

My personal plan is to read the release notes on 1.4 then make a decision on if AUPT still sounds like a good idea. I would qualify my self as a light customizer. I have about 10 patches installed. I completly understand why people with 50+ patches are excited about AUPT.
    Quote Originally Posted by grandebob View Post
    It appears that about 66% of people plan on rolling with the AUPT and I say good for them. I may join them, but I'm still torn.
    Looks like it's up to 74% now, lol
    There was some discussion in http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...-update-7.html about reports of problems with AUPT.
    There were also some reports in that thread of Preware problems.

Preware 0.9.27 and Package Manager Service 0.9.36 have been released and you *really* *should* update to these versions soon. Note that the problems that have been fixed do not affect AUPT handling (we are still not aware of any problems with AUPT version 3), but you really do want to update to those version for other reasons.

-- Rod
    the Preware guys (and girls?) know what they're doing, i trust them. If not, the doctor will come for a visit T-T
    LG Rumor -> HTC Touch -> Palm Pixi -> Palm Pre+ (if they ever bring it to Sprint)
    Global Posts
    11 Global Posts
    Without these guys I would've given up on the pre a long time ago, so nope, I'm not removing any patches. And if something does happen I would just dr it.
    Some people would rather kill than take responsibility for their own actions and thoughts.
  19.    #99  
    Quote Originally Posted by mjkjr View Post
    Looks like it's up to 74% now, lol
    I'm bad at math and reading comprehension, why else would i be on a forum.
    Global Posts
    17 Global Posts
    I'll wait until the weekend to update(if available) with all patches installed. Jason, Rod, Eric and all the other Webos Internals people along with this forum have been a huge asset. Thanks for all your hard work it's very much appreciated.
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast