View Poll Results: Will you remove patches before 1.4?

Voters
480. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I don't trust those Preware guys.

108 22.50%
  • No, it'll be fine!

360 75.00%
  • What is a patch?

12 2.50%
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    I'm going to leave my patches installed. Like everyone is saying worse case is a trip to the Dr. to fix things up. Plus it will be great feedback to what happened so the internals team can do what they need to do!!

But I do have one question. What happens if a patch that is installed becomes a native feature in 1.4? I.E. I have LED feature turned on (both for SMS/MMS and email alerts). If Palm opens that code up and makes the patch obsolete what happens to the patch?
    Last edited by fastamx79; 02/18/2010 at 01:09 PM. Reason: i accidentally a word =)
    Global Posts
    468 Global Posts
    Even though I trust the Preware guys and think they have done a phenominal job is making the phone even better, I will probablly unistall everything just for the fact that I cannot be without my phone at this time and do not want something to possibly end up going wrong. Will also wait and see the feedback that comes in before I make the final decision.
    Sanyo SCP 4500 > Samsung SCH 1900 > Sanyo SCP 5000 > Treo 755p > Palm Pre > HTC Evo
    Gonna backup prior to updating just in case anything goes wrong.
    Palm Pre | WebOS 1.4.1.1 | Sprint
    My CarDomain - 5/30/09
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    I am going to uninstall everything -- but not because I don't trust the preware guys, but because the patching/updating/hacking geek in me still loves seeing a brand new, wiped-clean device.

This is probably a carry over from my WinMo days of installing Roms and having a device completely clean again.
    Quote Originally Posted by fastamx79 View Post
    But I do have one question. What happens if a patch that is installed becomes a native feature in 1.4? I.E. I have LED feature turned on (both for SMS/MMS and email alerts). If Palm opens that code up and makes the patch obsolete what happens to the patch?

This is a question that has been on my mind as well. I know that the patches that aren't 1.4 compatible yet will be replaced with placeholder dummy patches, but do we just remove the dummy patch if 1.4 incorporates that feature?
    Quote Originally Posted by skafri View Post
    This is a question that has been on my mind as well. I know that the patches that aren't 1.4 compatible yet will be replaced with placeholder dummy patches, but do we just remove the dummy patch if 1.4 incorporates that feature?
    Yes.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    Yes.

-- Rod
    Sweet - Thanks!!
    Global Posts
    48 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    Yes.

-- Rod
    ok kool...but as a new patch user my question is how do you know if a patch has become a "placeholder" ?
    Quote Originally Posted by oly8ball View Post
    ok kool...but as a new patch user my question is how do you know if a patch has become a "placeholder" ?
    After the OTA update, Preware will start looking at a new patch feed corresponding to the new webOS version (if it can't find the feed, just wait for a couple of hours while we enable the new version number on the server - we can't predict what version it will be in advance).

Preware will notice that there are updates for all the patches you have installed. You then select "Update All". Any patches that apply on the new webOS version will update. Any patches that have not been made compatible with the new webOS version, or any patches that are no longer required on the new webOS version, will have a place-holder package version (-0 at the end) which will have instructions on what to do in it's description.

You can then either wait until the updated patch is available for those place-holder patches, or if it says that it is obsolete you just remove it.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Quote Originally Posted by oly8ball View Post
    You can go into preware and go into installed packages and tap that patch. It will be a version ending in -0 and the description will say it's a placeholder.

Also note that these placeholders are completely empty packages that do no harm whatsoever. They simply allow you to see the update available when/if the patch is ported.

-Eric G

WebOS Internals Developer.
    Follow me on Twitter for updates to my projects: | Virtual Keyboard | wIRC | SuperTux | AUPT | KeyBoss | freeTether |

Donate
    I just got rid of all my patches actually. Except I can't remove the download count patch. And that annoys me. I may doctor my phone...who knows.
    Master Pants, Lord of the Universe, Groupie of Blaize

Need help with your webOS device? PM me for help!
    thanks for all the answers rod. I have one more. Once the update completes its install, will we be running essentially an unpatched pre until we run preware and it performs the steps you mention above? Or does it depend upon which portions of the is are replaced as part of the update? Or does Preware hook into the installation process and run automagically at the end?

ok, that was three questions ... Counting wasn't my strong point in elementary school all those years ago.
    I keep a Word document with a list of all of my patches, apps, and tweaks as listed in my Preware menu (but it does not list the i-Phone spoof) on my laptop just in case something goes wrong. I will be in the wait for 18-24 hours to see what happens before updating group hoping the AUPT works as it should. I think it will, and all will be fine, but I am one of those "hope for the best but expect the worst" kind of people.
    I'm finally getting Pre tomorrow.

So is this Auto Update thing for Preware just part of the app now, or do you have to download something else
    Global Posts
    196 Global Posts
    I trust them but I will wait till i update, going to check the forums just in case people have had trouble or notice some mishaps with the installation of the patches messing with the updating operating system
    Quote Originally Posted by grandebob View Post
    So I know with the Auto Update stuff they have worked into preware, you don't need to remove/reinstall patches after a WebOS update, but I'm still sceptical. How many of you will be removing your patches before you upgrade to 1.4?
    To be honest, what was updated in Preware to make this happen makes no since to me anyway.

It isn't that I don't trust WebOS Internals, everyone else involved, or otherwise, but I've always started over by removing patches before updates and will probably do the same when 1.4 comes out.

Can anyone explain why this is now unnecessary?

Patches have changed webOS 1.3.5.1, so how can these changes still work after 1.4, which most likely switch things back with newer changes and updates.

Thanks, Sorli...
    I will be one of those who updates with the patches on, as soon as practical after the update becomes available (if it's a work day, or if I'm asleep when it releases, I will obviously have to wait until I have a break or am awake. Heh). If it works without a hitch I can report that to the webos-internals folks. If it breaks I can visit the Doctor and report it to them. If some works and some doesn't, I can report that, as well. Willing to be a guinea pig, since my usb is backed up and Doctoring is no big deal. I agree that we need all different kinds of installations for bug-checking purposes.
    Blaize, Mistress of Verbosity

Be nice until it's time to not be nice.--Dalton, "Roadhouse"
    I will just update & use the Doctor if something goes terribly wrong.

come on already give us 1.4 .... Please? Oh got to go check !
    I trust the guys at internals I'm sure they will have 1.4 before we do.
    Need to have a 4th option in your poll: "I'm going to wait and see what happens with other folks and then decide whether or not to remove patches"
    My device history:

- Jim J.

(On Sprint for many years)
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast