View Poll Results: Will you remove patches before 1.4?

Voters
480. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I don't trust those Preware guys.

108 22.50%
  • No, it'll be fine!

360 75.00%
  • What is a patch?

12 2.50%
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Now why would you remove them ? i dont see the point

you trust them before you install their apps, patchs, games etc right?

you trust them not to give you any virus's etc right?

and after all they would have done tests & likely to have 1.4 right ?

so why wouldnt you trust them now ? and even then whats the worse that can happen, you have to dr your phone.

its not like you are giving them your bank account infomation with your password/pin number

if you dont trust them (or any dev.) in the frist place then why did you put the app/patch on your phone in the frist place silly people
    Update with patches. no big deal. If worst comes to worst.. its Doctor Time!!!
  3.    #43  
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    Please vote honestly, without regard for hurting anyone's feelings. We know the poll choices have a humorous edge, and we're mature enough to separate our own sense of identities and worth from that of a string of 1's and 0's that we happened to type into a computer

We expect there to be people who will remove all patches, and we expect there to be people who will wait 24 hours, and we expect there will be people who OTA with all patches installed as soon as they possibly can. All three groups are important to give us a wide range of data on how things are working (or not working).

Personally, I will be OTA updating one of my phones with all patches on ASAP, and I will be doctoring another of my phones with all patches on (to test out the behaviour of ESE for patches), and I will be leaving the third phone untouched for 24 hours after the release so it's ready to test the OTA upgrade with any fixes that we may have had to put in place.

-- Rod
    Thanks for seeing the humor, Rod. I swear, some one needs to invent a sarcasm font.

I love what the guys at WebOS Internals have done. There are tons of unknowns in this process since WebOS Internals doesn't know 100% what Palm will do with the code. I can think of a dozen reasons why I would remove patches first, and a dozen of why not to. I've been a patcher from the first day I got my phone (back in August). I don't mind removing all my patches. Some times it's good to start fresh, and re customize my phone in a different way.

You can trust Preware/WebOS Internals, but as J Edgar Hoover said "Trust, but verify."
    A lot of hard work went into making them 1.4 ready and me and the doctor (WebOS Doctor) are friends. Worse case, I'll use the doctor and re-install everything.
    I'll remove the ones that are not Aupt-1 or Aupt-3. Also, pic mods have to be removed (custom phone dialer & lock screen, iphone spoof, etc).
    Achill3s' Palm Pre: Modded and patched to death!!
    so for all the people who keep sayin they trust preware because of all the hard work blah blah..... how do u explain all the folks having problems just updating their patches NOW to upt-3 or whatever and losing the ablity to download and other stuff? (see auto update thread to see the prob folks are having) and this is before an update has even hit

And why are people so sure that the autoupdate is a sure thing? like this didnt even exist before 1.3.5.1. Seems like some of the reviews act as if they acutally seen it work in action already. I mean unless you're a developer just wondering how peopel are so convinced the transition will be seamless

so im not hating or nothing on the autoupdate patch thingy, im just saying........
    I said 'no' in the vote but I actually will remove most of them, not because I have concerns about the update but because I want to see what improvements 1.4 has before I start patching again. After all, none of the patches are essential to me, just nice to have. In fact, I have removed all but 2 now so I can get used to the old way again before 1.4 (I guess it will be at least a week before Europe gets the update...)
    I've already got to doctor my phone from a patch not wanting to remove itself, I'm just waiting for the update to come out so I can have a clean slate with 1.4. So yeah, I'll be removing everything before the update.

edit: Also for reasons the guy above me posted.
    What about themes? Do you still have to remove them before updating?

Thanks,

Rich
    Quote Originally Posted by rkkeller View Post

Thanks,

Rich
    As far as I know, themes DO still need to be removed before the update.
    Follow me on teh Twitterz
    Quote Originally Posted by rkkeller View Post

Thanks,

Rich
    Yes themes need to be removed. Also, anything altering the stock images (if you added a custom dialer or changed the lock screen, change boot logo) need to be removed before updating. Iphone spoof, cornering of screen and things such as those also need to be removed.

If you didn't get it from Preware, chances are you'll need to remove it.
    Achill3s' Palm Pre: Modded and patched to death!!
    i actually got over excited and already uninstalled all of mine, i was not sure i had the correct version of PreWare. it seems i do, but i am not really sure and do not understand how to check. so i will just wait until the update sometime in the next few months and reinstall them then.

its my own fault for not being intelligent enough to know if i have the right version or not.
    Pre be with you.

Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm. -- Winston Churchill

Happiness is not achieved by the conscious pursuit of happiness; it is generally the by-product of other activities. -- Aldous Huxley
    Video recording has never been a big priority for me, and we all know that guy "Murpy", especially here in the computing world, so waiting a few hours after the 1.4 OTA seems like a sensible approach to me. It's no knock against the Preware developers, I really appreciate all of the time and hard work they have put into Preware.
    one patch is coming off (bc its not aupt compat, i made it ) all others are staying
    I will be leaving all patches in place, if we don't test it we cannot give feedback to these guys. Nothing is ever perfect 1st time round but it won't improve without feedback. As others have said, a visit to the doctor is no biggie, I quite often full erase and doctor my phone just to tidy up things a bit.
    I'll upgrade with them all installed, and read the changelog to see if any of them should be removed b/c webos has it native now.

I'm having a problem with luna not refreshing after any software is installed, though, so I may end up having to doctor regardless :-(
    Will the mytether patch cause issues when updating? I know the my tether app has a option to turn off the patch so the camera will work, would just turning off the patch that way work?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jupiter600 View Post
    so for all the people who keep sayin they trust preware because of all the hard work blah blah..... how do u explain all the folks having problems just updating their patches NOW to upt-3 or whatever and losing the ablity to download and other stuff? (see auto update thread to see the prob folks are having) and this is before an update has even hit

And why are people so sure that the autoupdate is a sure thing? like this didnt even exist before 1.3.5.1. Seems like some of the reviews act as if they acutally seen it work in action already. I mean unless you're a developer just wondering how peopel are so convinced the transition will be seamless

so im not hating or nothing on the autoupdate patch thingy, im just saying........
    You know what? I hit the part of your post where you said "blah blah", and for the entire remainder of the post, I saw "blah blah blah".

Why do you expecta anyone to show any respect for what you have to say, when you show so little for what others have to say.
    Global Posts
    386 Global Posts
    I don't think I will remove them. But I am wondering what will happen with the launcher patches I am using.
    Definitely not removing my patches...why would I? I've been hoping that they would find a way to let you upgrade without removing patches, and now that they made it possible why would I go through the trouble.
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast