View Poll Results: Will you remove patches before 1.4?

Voters
480. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I don't trust those Preware guys.

108 22.50%
  • No, it'll be fine!

360 75.00%
  • What is a patch?

12 2.50%
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    I've been having some issues lately, so I think that I'll be webOS Doctoring regardless, but we'll see.
    I'm sure the WebOS internals crew has 1.4 and they have already tested upgrading with patches.
    Can someone tell me what would happen if the update included some patches that I have installed? For example, what would happen and how would we know if there going to be an update that would have timestamps on text messages? How does Preware deal with that? When is Palm going to start implementing these patches anyway, without us needing Preware? Lots of questions.
    I am equivalent to a man dammit.
    Idk, it's not that I don't trust Preware or WebOSInternals, but rather, some of the patches. After that last update, one of them screwed up my app catalog and so I'd rather start off without them.
    I will install with the patches,I trust all those guys,,they say no problem then I'm in.
    Global Posts
    747 Global Posts
    The only thing that's going to make me remove one of my 70 patches ever again is if the functionality is replicated in WeOS itself.
    Quote Originally Posted by oddlou View Post
    They've yet to do me wrong, so I'll just keep my patches on. The worst that could happen is that I have to doctor. No biggie as far as I'm concernced.
    Exactly, I trust them and really appreciate all the hard work and contribution they've made to the webOS community. I'm updating with all 42 patches, no fear.

I'm a beliver in going to the Doctor, agreed it's no big deal. It did take a little while to reinstall all my homebrew, but I thought it was fun.

Quote Originally Posted by malpha View Post
    Idk, it's not that I don't trust Preware or WebOSInternals, but rather, some of the patches. After that last update, one of them screwed up my app catalog and so I'd rather start off without them.
    I agree with that, there is a patch called multi mod that is a pita and has caused exact issues on multiple phones.
    Quote Originally Posted by voltageROCK View Post
    Can someone tell me what would happen if the update included some patches that I have installed? For example, what would happen and how would we know if there going to be an update that would have timestamps on text messages? How does Preware deal with that? When is Palm going to start implementing these patches anyway, without us needing Preware? Lots of questions.
    Well, seeing as how the webOS internals crew must have a 1.4 release candidate (otherwise how in the world do they update all their patches before the major releases?), once the update occurs that patch would do one of two things: 1) It would be removed instead of applied or more likely 2) that patch would just be an empty patch (a patch in name only -- like the current "Lower Swap Threshold" patch).
    Global Posts
    80 Global Posts
    I am a Preware advocate and PayPal donor. Nonetheless, I will not have patches installed during the 1.4 update. Even the most well-intentioned and skilled pros don't have a crystal ball. Also, I've been around too long to know that the ol' adage "expect the unexpected" holds true.

Good luck everyone!
    Palm Pilot 5000 > Palm Pilot Pro> Palm V> Palm Vx> Palm 505> Samsung i500 (Palm OS)> Palm Treo 650> Plam Centro> Palm Pre!
  10.    #30  
    No disrespect to the fine folks at WebOS Internals. They do awesome work. I trust them on my phone. Autopatching just sounds too good to be true.

I will probably EPR before the update just in case, Besides it gives me a good excuse to try new patches.
    Global Posts
    42 Global Posts
    I trust the Preware people. They do awesome work!!

But....I'll remove my patches and apps just to be safe. Kinda like buying a first year model car.... they usually find bugs.
    Global Posts
    387 Global Posts
    I have faith in our community. I'll leave the patch on my Pre.
    Global Posts
    483 Global Posts
    I will be removing them. The only time I have ever had a problem doing that was when I had to do it twice in one day (can't remember the reason)
    I don't like the first choice, "Yes, I don't trust those Preware guys". I don't think people don't trust them, if you truly don't trust them why in the world would you ever install a patch. Also, it is very disrespectful to a very dedicated bunch of people who have done a lot for the webOS community!

I would hope that all the people that chose that option didn't choose it because of the "don't trust those guys" portion and rather think that just to be safe for this update they are going to remove the patches and if everyone who doesn't remove the patches update fine they will be more like to leave patches in place for future updates.
    I already EPR'd my phone ready for the 1.4!! Not that I don't trust them, just being safe and who knows... a patch I had could be already there... =)
    Global Posts
    747 Global Posts
    what's with these answers of 'oh i totally trust them, I'm just gonna remove all my patches TEEHEE'

call a spade a spade

you cant be agnostic in this, cabrones
    I always postpone my update to see how everyone else is doing first, then just make sure I don't do anything unwise.

I'm hoping this works well, but it's not such a big problem anymore to uninstall 40 patches. It also gives me a change to try out different things that I had not before.
    Eryn Tzun
    tzun.com
    I'm just an ignorant warrior who believes that love means you're willing to fight and die for your fellow living beings.
    Please vote honestly, without regard for hurting anyone's feelings. We know the poll choices have a humorous edge, and we're mature enough to separate our own sense of identities and worth from that of a string of 1's and 0's that we happened to type into a computer

We expect there to be people who will remove all patches, and we expect there to be people who will wait 24 hours, and we expect there will be people who OTA with all patches installed as soon as they possibly can. All three groups are important to give us a wide range of data on how things are working (or not working).

Personally, I will be OTA updating one of my phones with all patches on ASAP, and I will be doctoring another of my phones with all patches on (to test out the behaviour of ESE for patches), and I will be leaving the third phone untouched for 24 hours after the release so it's ready to test the OTA upgrade with any fixes that we may have had to put in place.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    I'm sure I'll update without removing patches as soon as the update is available, but then I'll WebOS Dr. a few days later for a more "pure" experience...
    I will check if ti really works as suposed to work.. if not.. doctoring will be mine salvation :-)
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast