1. CoobeyMeyer
    Does anybody know if there is a way for me to install a new firmware (1.4 for example when it comes) from my desktop instead of on the Pre itself? Don't flame me!
    Palm - webOS Doctor for Palm Pre for Sprint

Wait until the above is v1.4 (there will be a post on the Pre Central blog when that happens) and then go at it.
    Not that I'm aware of... No flaming here, I'm just curious. Why?

Edit: Duh, totally forgot about the doctor... Which is sad considering how many "appointments" I've made with him
    Yup! It's called WebOS Doctor.

I do not believe that there is any other way to change versions via desktop.

EDIT: Damn, I'm a slow typer. haha
    Follow me on teh Twitterz
  5. CoobeyMeyer
    Well I know about the doctor. Is there any other way?
    Quote Originally Posted by CoobeyMeyer View Post
    Another way? The doctor basically installs the OS directly on to your webOS device from your computer. It doesn't get anymore direct (and simple) than that.

Well, I assume the reason you ask if there is any other way is because you want it faster than waiting for the doctor and you want to update not wipe.

If those are your two requirmements, then the answer is no -- there is no way to install from a desktop other than the doctor.
    and ofcourse..remember that doctoring your phone will erase everything off of it...and ofcourse the restore will occur after you sign in back to your profile...assuming it all works correctly. lol
    To better answer your question, we need to know your circumstances. Why can't you update OTA?
    There shoukdn't be any reason to not update OTA, since now you can download updates on 2g, the updates are around 20MBs, and OTA is just simpler...

But if you have to update from a desktop, IIRC the docotr won't touch anything in the USB partition. Not completely sure about that though...
    Even if your phone is stolen or a replacement that can't be activated, for whatever reason, you should be able to pull updates via wifi without any problems.
    Quote Originally Posted by DaLostOrange View Post
    There shoukdn't be any reason to not update OTA, since now you can download updates on 2g, the updates are around 20MBs, and OTA is just simpler...

But if you have to update from a desktop, IIRC the docotr won't touch anything in the USB partition. Not completely sure about that though...
    Thats not even close to being right....Updates are routinely 70 - 100mbs and Ill be willing to bet 1.4 is going to be 100mbs or better.
    Please hit the thanks button if I helped you

If you've enjoyed my patches please feel free to donate towards further development.

Follow the link below.

Well, with them doing binaries, the packages ARE smaller. I still plan on doing mine over wifi if possible.
    Quote Originally Posted by 2sslow View Post
    Thats not even close to being right....Updates are routinely 70 - 100mbs and Ill be willing to bet 1.4 is going to be 100mbs or better.
    No, actually 1.3.5 brought a new way of updating in the form of binary unpacking (or something like that) meaning for every update you wouldn't have to download the whole OS again, only the parts that were added/updated.

I'm just saying, but 1.3.5 was only 13MB, so I'm guessing that 1.4 will be about 20MB.
    How many different wayss do you need?
    1.3.5 was 65+ mb!

1.3.5.1 was around 10mb because it only affected the calendar app!

The Whole OS is approx 205mb!
    Please hit the thanks button if I helped you

If you've enjoyed my patches please feel free to donate towards further development.

Follow the link below.

What it all comes down to is this. You have two options to upgrade WebOS:
    1. OTA
    2. Wait for the 1.4 WebOS Doctor to be released and run it on your phone.