Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    So I was on a road trip this past weekend and was using the Sprint Nav application (and NOTHING ELSE), yet every few hours I would get the "Sorry, Too Many Cards" notification.

What gives? Has anybody else had this problem? If so, is there a fix?

Thank you.
    The issue is (probably) memory leaks and the solution (probably) is to reboot your device
    I've been getting this A LOT lately. Just having the text messaging window open will cause this. I never had to do this prior to 1.3.5.1
    Only have it with my web browser and 3D games. You don't ALWAYS have to reboot...alot of times simply closing the memory hogging app fixes it.

Or even just leaving it alone for a bit seems to correct it.
    Global Posts
    664 Global Posts
    They should change the notification to "Sorry, system ram is full due to an app running as a card or in the background. Would you like to close some cards or perform a quick luna reset?"

Something is hogging your ram. Try to single it out.

Only have it with my web browser and 3D games. You don't ALWAYS have to reboot...alot of times simply closing the memory hogging app fixes it.

Or even just leaving it alone for a bit seems to correct it.
    Yep, apps aren't fully closed the second you swipe them off the screen. Even on a laptop, firefox will take a while to be clear from the system memory if you watch it in task manager. The time it takes to close depends on how much memory it's hogging. Perhaps webos needs a little notification to let people know an app is still closing or whenever something is running in the background?
    Last edited by spare; 02/17/2010 at 12:40 PM.
    Simply restarting your phone to fix this issue is not an acceptable solution, Palm needs to fix this memory leak issue or many users would eventually jump ship.
    It sucks...and happens to me often enough that I have a reboot scheduler app installed...and configured to have my Pre auto reboot every day at 3am.

http://www.precentral.net/reboot-sch...-your-schedule

Not a full solution...but it helps. I think that the real solution is for Palm to plug some memory leak holes in the Mojo MVC framework...and to have a Pre with more memory for demanding apps. In this respect, the Plus has a large advantage over the v1.0 hardware.
    Quote Originally Posted by htabbach View Post
    Simply restarting your phone to fix this issue is not an acceptable solution, Palm needs to fix this memory leak issue or many users would eventually jump ship.
    Yeah, I'd have to agree. The same goes for a lot of other workarounds and short-term fixes. It's up to Palm to address this, though I've heard the issue is a lot less prevalent on the Pre Plus side of things since it has the additional 256MB of RAM on board (man I wish I had held out for the Plus when it eventually hits Sprint).

P.S. By the way, OP, I'm also a Gator living in Gainesville, FL.
  9.    #9  
    I agree. Isn't that the basis/premise/concept behind WebOS...MULTI-TASKING?

There's no multi-tasking when this message keeps popping up when I want to run a SECOND application while I'm running Sprint Nav.

This is something that I shouldn't have to "deal with." Rather, as it is the whole point of Palm/WebOS to be able to multi-task, it is something that they must fix.

Just checking here to see if there's one (fix) out there of which I'm not aware.
    Global Posts
    664 Global Posts
    It's not Palm's to fix when a developer's app is causing the leak.

And it's good to reboot any smartphone daily anyway.
    before 1.3.5.1, there was patch called "Cleanup event listener path" that was made to fix memory leaks. Does anyone know if this would work on 1.3.5.1? I had it installed before but took it out after the last update
    Quote Originally Posted by spare View Post
    It's not Palm's to fix when a developer's app is causing the leak.

And it's good to reboot any smartphone daily anyway.
    I am not sure I agree. The closing event is handled by the OS and not the application, correct me if I am wrong.

Also, running some 3D games give me the error even after restarts.
    Surprisingly, sprint Nav has never ran up Memory on my phone. Just had a good use with it too over this weekend on a road trip.
    Global Posts
    9 Global Posts
    I've been getting this a lot too. And the weird part is it's with one or two cards open sometimes when i close all cards and try to open a new one it give me that error. I called up someone from Sprint and the told me to take the battery out and restart my Pre. After i did that my launcher came up as just a transparent screen nothing else was there. i had to hard reset which he walked me thru and now a few weeks later my Pre has done it again.
    How does one check how much memory you are using? and how does one not get too many card error. First day with phone i got it.
    Global Posts
    322 Global Posts
    I get this problem frequently and for me it's almost always tied to having more than one browser card open. Specifically, if I open multiple browsers by clicking on links using the orange key / Open in New Card method, then even if I close out the later instances of the browser, I will start getting the Too Many Cards... I can usually close a few cards and get by for a little bit longer, but eventually it lets me open fewer and fewer cards until even one is too many and I have to hold the power button down and reset.
    Global Posts
    664 Global Posts
    I am not sure I agree. The closing event is handled by the OS and not the application, correct me if I am wrong.

Also, running some 3D games give me the error even after restarts.
    The os tells the app to close and the app should then exit all ram memory it was occupying if it no longer needs them. Some apps are supposed to run in the background so the os doesn't clear all the ram on it's own.

Which 3d games and how soon after a restart? Give the pre a few mins after a reboot since it's still loading in the background.

Also, you can get the app Jstop in preware which will lets you monitor the resources on your phone. I haven't used this myself but I don't patch a lot anyway. And get the Luna manager app to do quick (Luna) resets.
    Global Posts
    260 Global Posts
    Palm recommends updating your RAM
    yup. This is starting to get to me.... I hate it tat I get this error while loading a web page and it's so unresponsive when I try to interect with it... Most of the time I don't have anything else running or just tweed. This memory leak is turning out to be a big issue
    (\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
    ('')_('') signature to help him gain world domination
    I get this a lot too. Really bothers me. I have only had my phone for about 12 days.....
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast