Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by spare View Post
    Also, you can get the app Jstop in preware which will lets you monitor the resources on your phone. I haven't used this myself but I don't patch a lot anyway. And get the Luna manager app to do quick (Luna) resets.
    JStop only monitors native apps, it does not track 3D games so it cannot be used with 3D games.
    Global Posts
    97 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by htabbach View Post
    Simply restarting your phone to fix this issue is not an acceptable solution, Palm needs to fix this memory leak issue or many users would eventually jump ship.
    BlackBerries have these issues too. We don't see a lot of people jumping their ship.

It's frustrating at times, yes... but it's definitely not reason enough alone to switch phones.
  3.    #23  
    It's not Palm's to fix when a developer's app is causing the leak.

And it's good to reboot any smartphone daily anyway.

I disagree. This is a native app offered by the carrier (even before the Pre was around). This was the first time that I used Sprint Nav heavily since the last update, and I can assure you that I never had this problem in prior uses. Knowing that this is part of the service included with Sprint's Everything plans, Palm should account for this native app when sending OTA updates.
    Global Posts
    278 Global Posts
    It's not Palm's to fix when a developer's app is causing the leak.

And it's good to reboot any smartphone daily anyway.
    dude I have nothing open and mine does it
    Global Posts
    664 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by qbngator View Post
    I disagree. This is a native app offered by the carrier (even before the Pre was around). This was the first time that I used Sprint Nav heavily since the last update, and I can assure you that I never had this problem in prior uses. Knowing that this is part of the service included with Sprint's Everything plans, Palm should account for this native app when sending OTA updates.
    I agree with you if Sprint Nav is the problem. Sprint Nav is a large program but I am able to multitask just fine with it. I just started it now to test. I already have preware, app cat and web browser opened as well. I then opened phone app to get gps fix then pandora and am streaming music right now. Things are getting a little sluggish but no too many cards error yet.

dude I have nothing open and mine does it
    Sorry but that is not normal operation for the phone. Something is hogging your resources in the background.
    I hope they fix it with 1.4.

I wouldn't mind the Pre Plus on Sprint too.
    Sprint Pre + Seidio super battery
    I never have the "too many cards open" issue while using my Pre, I will have Pandora playing with my Sprint Nav open and sending text's, strange how some people get this message while having 1 or no cards open.
    Quote Originally Posted by estockda View Post
    BlackBerries have these issues too. We don't see a lot of people jumping their ship.

It's frustrating at times, yes... but it's definitely not reason enough alone to switch phones.

I respectfully disagree, if I have to restart my phone often to run apps and Palm does not fix it I will be the first to look somewhere else. We all love WebOS but that does not mean it is perfect.
    if you wait long enough the closed apps background processes will eventually wind down and let you open another card, but a task killer app akin to the one on android marketplace would be more than appreciated.
  10.    #30  
    Quote Originally Posted by THAANSA3 View Post
    P.S. By the way, OP, I'm also a Gator living in Gainesville, FL.
    Go Gators! Unfortunately, I'm moving back to Miami (FL) next month. Please keep me in mind for football tickets next season.
    This error is annoying when I play with my lady's Pre. Usually happens with 3D games or if there are a couple of web pages open. I would love to see the Pre Plus hit Sprint, then I'll prolly get one for myself to avoid this error.
    If God brought you to it He'll bring you thru it!
    Quote Originally Posted by htabbach View Post
    JStop only monitors native apps, it does not track 3D games so it cannot be used with 3D games.
    Perhaps, but JStop will let you do garbage collection which often will free up enough memory to let the 3D games run. Faster than a restart anyhow.
    Global Posts
    54 Global Posts
    Also, you can get the app Jstop in preware which will lets you monitor the resources on your phone
    I've seen the "Too Many Cards" in WebOS 1.3.5.1 even with no cards open also. I thought my Pre was slow when I first got it and was running WebOS 1.1 but I finally realized that I had linked it to 3 email accounts and told the email client to show me all messages from each account, some of which had hundreds of messages in multiple mail folders. Once I set it back to the default of only showing 3 or 7 days worth of messages things improved greatly. WebOS 1.3.x does seam leakier than 1.2 for some reason.

I had been launching "top" in a console window but there's just one luna and java process which wasn't much help. "jstop" lets you see the child java processes which if far more helpful. jstop also lets you kill particular processes which can help free up memory without rebooting or restarting luna. I just recently was running with about 40MB used (sorta high) and killed two "Email" processes which dropped the memory use into the 20's, though I suspect I won't get any new email notices till I manually launch the email app which started at the accounts page but remembered all my settings... Anyway it may or may not be safe to kill various apps from jstop and isn't obvious how much memory each is using, but I think I'll be using it a lot until the leaks are plugged up better...

PS. Till then It would be neat if someone would write a patch/app to put memory/load in the top bar and maybe even auto-kill and restart various background apps when memory got low... That would be way nicer and faster that rebooting all the time...
    Quote Originally Posted by jaykimdotnet View Post
    if you wait long enough the closed apps background processes will eventually wind down and let you open another card, but a task killer app akin to the one on android marketplace would be more than appreciated.
    Shouldn't throwing the app away do this functionality?

Selling my Palm things: just make an offer: http://forums.webosnation.com/market...nd-offers.html
    I find clearing the cache in memory helps with the to many cards open problem. The down side is, I have to open the terminal window and run it from there. Up side, I don't have to reboot the phone. I looked into making a launcher icon that would execute the command but, haven't found anything yet. Anyway, the command is:

sync; echo 3 > /proc/sys/vm/drop_caches

Hope this helps.
    Global Posts
    79 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SDash View Post
    Palm recommends updating your RAM
    How do you do that?

Thanks
    Global Posts
    696 Global Posts
    There may be multiple causes. It seems to me that I had many more of these issues when I started using ActiveSync. Are the people having these problems using ActiveSync?
    I think SDash was joking.
    It got worse over the last two or three weeks, but immediately after the last update it was perfect.
    I've only had it once so far, when I installed Assasin's Creed (got good reviews, had to try it). Installed fine, but wouldn't start. Resetting cleared that up, plays just fine. I figure it's a big game with a pretty big installer package running, probably took a kickstart to clear the memory.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast