Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by xome1983 View Post
    I'm not so sure that it doesn't actually load a bit faster. Of course this is what Palm intended by having it load this way so maybe I'm just crazy. I think it's probably a combination of both, slightly faster load times and the splash screen.
    You're totally right - I shouldn't be claiming that sort of thing when I don't have 1.4 myself to play with. I would have expected Palm to optimize the software incrementally so that things do load up faster, so hopefully we'll see that when it drops
  2.    #42  
    Quote Originally Posted by AlwayzRight View Post
    What do you mean no indication? You click on an app and then it automatically goes to full screen.....why have it go into card view and then into full screen? The issue I have with it is for the web.
    Um, no. You click an app icon and then the icon lights up and then goes back to normal and then you wait a few seconds while nothing appears to be happening and then suddenly it goes to your app in full screen. All the splash screen does is fill the empty space where it appeared nothing was happening. It does NOT slow down the time it takes to get to the app being full screen.
    PLACEBO! Not impressed with smoke & mirror effect. Palm, go back to your old days, get a stopwatch & optimize your OS & brag to the world when your applications are usable in 0.2 sec. Remember Garnet & click counting?
    Whether it's a a smokescreen, doesn't matter. It's all about filling in the time/space where apps load so you aren't looking blindly while the app loads
    Global Posts
    419 Global Posts
    I played the video again but mimicked what he was doing on that Pre running 1.4. First, opened the launcher, then swiped to the third page. Then opened Device Info. I timed it right on and they both opened up at the same time. After playing around in that menu and the drop-down device menu he opens up the web browser. I tapped on mine at the same time and... They opened at the same speed. Only difference there was it displayed a card prior to entering the browser while I was looking my pretty background.

So is webOS 1.4 smoke and mirrors? I think not... Why? My Pre is running at 600MHz... I would be willing to bet the Pre he was using was at the standard 500MHz. In essence, I'm gonna go ahead and say there is some improvements in the time it takes to open apps, along with the new card to full screen launch animation.

I can't wait until this update lands!! You all caught the new Camera icon too right? Woohoo!

On a side note, it looks like theres a screen cover on that Pre.. anyone know what kind? It appears to be oleophobic. I want it!
    Last edited by Tcub; 02/17/2010 at 06:43 PM.
    Need help with your webOS device? PM me for help!
    This just makes the update 1.4 a lot better
    I care a little about the speed but just know that I have opened a card is awesome
    no more opening 3 browser on accident then have to close 2

also I think the third party apps' splash screen will probably be there icon because that's how the browser and device info did
    I like it and think it's will be a nice simple improvement.

Why would you guys try to debate this with someone who's "AlwayzRight"?
    it'll definitely give the phone a sleeker overall look
    I think it's a brilliant move. The immediate feedback is really important for the average consumer, it minimizes confusion by at least giving some sort of visual confirmation that the phone is doing something. Little spit'n'polish things like this can make the device much more attractive to potential buyers and give a little more "show" to people we show our phones to.
    Quote Originally Posted by AlwayzRight View Post
    I do not like it at all...I like it beter when it automaticaly went to full screen Now it goes into a card view for a second and then into full screen.....DUMB.
    I actually agree with this a little. I mean why can't Palm have the apps simply open fullscreen instantly (like the PDK apps) but keep the splash screens? So no jumping to card view first then bringing the card to fullscreen. I think that would be awesome.
  11.    #51  
    Quote Originally Posted by Tcub View Post
    I played the video again but mimicked what he was doing on that Pre running 1.4. First, opened the launcher, then swiped to the third page. Then opened Device Info. I timed it right on and they both opened up at the same time. After playing around in that menu and the drop-down device menu he opens up the web browser. I tapped on mine at the same time and... They opened at the same speed. Only difference there was it displayed a card prior to entering the browser while I was looking my pretty background.

So is webOS 1.4 smoke and mirrors? I think not... Why? My Pre is running at 600MHz... I would be willing to bet the Pre he was using was at the standard 500MHz. In essence, I'm gonna go ahead and say there is some improvements in the time it takes to open apps, along with the new card to full screen launch animation.

I can't wait until this update lands!! You all caught the new Camera icon too right? Woohoo!

On a side note, it looks like theres a screen cover on that Pre.. anyone know what kind? It appears to be oleophobic. I want it!
    That's REALLY good to hear if that's the case. And you'll notice, it's NOT the Pre Plus (has the ball in the gesture area)!
  12.    #52  
    Quote Originally Posted by QuarlesLT View Post
    I actually agree with this a little. I mean why can't Palm have the apps simply open fullscreen instantly (like the PDK apps) but keep the splash screens? So no jumping to card view first then bringing the card to fullscreen. I think that would be awesome.
    It's NOT jumping to card view first. It shows a splash screen which has nothing to do with the program itself, other than the icon shown. It's not really a card view, but a quick splash screen that looks like a card view. I'm sure when people write apps, they won't have to do anything to create the splash screen other than maybe specify whether to have it and what icon in their json file.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tcub View Post
    there isnt really any improvement on the app opening time
    Quote Originally Posted by newone757 View Post
    there isnt really any improvement on the app opening time
    Well considering his tests at 600Mhz mirror closely 1.4's opening speed it could be understood that either the apps do indeed open faster, or the new patch sets the clocked speed to 600Mhz by default (which would be almost genius, and it's not like the individuals who went to look at 1.4 would notice the speed difference, most already have it clocked to 600, and only the non-patchers (and superstitious) would notice, and boy would they notice).
  15.    #55  
    Quote Originally Posted by alex.dobeck View Post
    Well considering his tests at 600Mhz mirror closely 1.4's opening speed it could be understood that either the apps do indeed open faster, or the new patch sets the clocked speed to 600Mhz by default (which would be almost genius, and it's not like the individuals who went to look at 1.4 would notice the speed difference, most already have it clocked to 600, and only the non-patchers (and superstitious) would notice, and boy would they notice).
    Right, but if they clocked it to 600mhz, that's actually worse than if they programmed it at 500mhz to run as fast. Why? Because over-clocking makes the battery run out faster. Whereas getting faster speed at lower mhz, means the same speed with better battery life.
    Quote Originally Posted by 6tr6tr View Post
    Right, but if they clocked it to 600mhz, that's actually worse than if they programmed it at 500mhz to run as fast. Why? Because over-clocking makes the battery run out faster. Whereas getting faster speed at lower mhz, means the same speed with better battery life.
    I disagree.
    1- I run at 600 mHz and my battery is not worse than when it was at 500mHz
    2- It is NOT overclocking if you set at 600 mHz, the processor is capable of running at that speed. If someone finds a way to run it at, let' say, 800 mHz, that is overclocking.
    Global Posts
    419 Global Posts
    remember webOS 1.4 is also supposed to improve battery life.
    Need help with your webOS device? PM me for help!
    Quote Originally Posted by 6tr6tr View Post
    htabbach is right, it's not overclocking, and I too have not noticed that much of a battery difference between 500 and 600. And I don't really get how a 20% increase in processor speed is going to mean "the same speed" as 500Mhz, especially if the phones start to really take advantage of it.
    Quote Originally Posted by danib62 View Post
    This is a great addition. One of my biggest pet peeves is not being able to tell if I properly clicked something and if it's opening or not. This solves that splendidly. The instant feedback makes it seem that the phone runs faster even if it in fact isn't which is important in winning over the hearts and minds of joe schmo consumer.
    You can swipe up, and you'll at least get a blank card. I do this when I accidentally load the wrong app. No waiting for it to come up to close it is necessary. Just swipe up, and swipe away the loading app. So, the user is definitely in control of closing things whenever they need to. I really like this!
    Quote Originally Posted by QuarlesLT View Post
    I prefer the card view first, myself. If I can't do anything with the app anyway, now I don't have to first go to card view to go to something else quickly while waiting for the app to load.

What is the point of full screen when you can't do anything with the app? In card view you can at least discard the app if it was launched by mistake or something.

Card view is definitely the better UI for this.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast