Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by htabbach View Post
    I think the new splash screen is brilliant. It makes the phone feel faster, just like the iPhone. Lots of people think the iPhone loads applications faster than the Pre while in fact it loads a place holder very fast but the content still takes couple seconds to load.
    Indeed.
    Global Posts
    177 Global Posts
    This is a great addition. One of my biggest pet peeves is not being able to tell if I properly clicked something and if it's opening or not. This solves that splendidly. The instant feedback makes it seem that the phone runs faster even if it in fact isn't which is important in winning over the hearts and minds of joe schmo consumer.
    Quote Originally Posted by danib62 View Post
    This is a great addition. One of my biggest pet peeves is not being able to tell if I properly clicked something and if it's opening or not. This solves that splendidly. The instant feedback makes it seem that the phone runs faster even if it in fact isn't which is important in winning over the hearts and minds of joe schmo consumer.
    +1
    well loading the web browser and such was mighty fast.
    Global Posts
    570 Global Posts
    I love the new splash screen enhancement. Very slick, subtle improvement. Does anyone else think Palm should have their show Pre's running on WIFI and utilizing the "unthrottle download manager" patch. I know its kind of cheating but lets put our best foot forward at these conferences.

In case you dont know, using "unthrottle download manager" patch over WIFI makes any data trannsfer SUPER fast. Downloading web pages is way faster, and anything else. But I'd want it there to make our browser seem even faster than it is.
    yap this is perfect, it makes launching aps look as fast as iphone, cause thats really what the iphone does, pops it open and then still loads the app
    Yeah I'm loving the new way of loading up the apps... of course I'd be loving it even more if my phone were doing it.
    i wonder how third party apps would load
    Quote Originally Posted by sketch42 View Post
    i wonder how third party apps would load
    ya I was wondering the same thing. Maybe they have a universal icon for 3rd party apps. but I hope its implimented into 3rd part apps as well.
    Somebody should pass this on to David Pogue. I remember this was one of his nit-picky complaints after launch day--that the time between a highlighted app and app launch seemed a bit too "empty," user-feedback-wise. I agree. This will be a good change.
    Quote Originally Posted by danib62 View Post
    Absolutely. It's not just cosmetics. I know that I haven't been so bothered by how long an app takes to load, which is entirely acceptable to me particularly given how I can keep my most-used apps open, it's now knowing whether or not my tap actually took and my app is about to load.

I don't think this is anything miraculous on Palm's part. You can get a similar effect, most of the time, by simply swiping up from the gesture area after you've clicked to start an app and the Launcher closes. The app's card will open minimized while the app continues to load.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    I do not like it at all...I like it beter when it automaticaly went to full screen Now it goes into a card view for a second and then into full screen.....DUMB.
    Quote Originally Posted by AlwayzRight View Post
    I do not like it at all...I like it beter when it automaticaly went to full screen Now it goes into a card view for a second and then into full screen.....DUMB.
    Oh pish-posh you just want to complain.
    You do realize that during the time it's in card view you would normally be staring at your wallpaper with no indication that the app is actually going to load? I can't see any reason why you'd want the old behaviour, it just makes it appear as if it's slow and not really doing anything.
    Quote Originally Posted by SqyArc View Post
    You do realize that during the time it's in card view you would normally be staring at your wallpaper with no indication that the app is actually going to load? I can't see any reason why you'd want the old behaviour, it just makes it appear as if it's slow and not really doing anything.
    What do you mean no indication? You click on an app and then it automatically goes to full screen.....why have it go into card view and then into full screen? The issue I have with it is for the web.
    Maybe he just really likes his wallpaper
    pretty cool. it makes it seem like it's loading when the card is sort of minimized before it goes full screen as seen when dieter tries to flick close one of the cards as it loads. Maybe they should have it load in the bg until it's ready before it goes fullscreen as it seems to do. But still, a nice addition.
    What do you mean no indication? You click on an app and then it automatically goes to full screen.....why have it go into card view and then into full screen? The issue I have with it is for the web.
    Ok I'll break it down:

OLD SYSTEM:
    *Click Browser*
    *Wait 3 seconds*
    *Loads*
    *Browser Pops Up*

NEW SYSTEM:
    *Click Browser*
    *Card pops up IMMEDIATELY*
    *Loads*

It doesn't actually load any faster - but you the user see something happening, which gives it the illusion of not just hanging around with nothing on the screen while it loads.

Maybe I'm just bad at explaining... you might understand better when you play with it If 1.4 ever drops
    Last edited by SqyArc; 02/17/2010 at 03:36 PM.
    I didn't like it at first but I do admit it does give a little more polish and feels more responsive
    Ok I'll break it down:

It doesn't actually load any faster - but you the user see something happening, which gives it the illusion of not just hanging around with nothing on the screen while it loads.
    I'm not so sure that it doesn't actually load a bit faster. Of course this is what Palm intended by having it load this way so maybe I'm just crazy. I think it's probably a combination of both, slightly faster load times and the splash screen.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast