Global Posts
    38 Global Posts
    I was just wondering if my experience is unique but whenever I start my phone from being completely off, the launcher is very sluggish to scroll through and if I have a card open it is extremely sluggish, almost unusable (which is why I use universal search more than anything rather than opening the launcher).

That's not the weird thing. The weird thing is that whenever I launch a PDK enabled game like NFS or Brothers in Arms and then exit the game, it's like a night and day difference in the launcher, almost as if a speed switch has been turned on. It's liquid smooth and it continues to be that way until I reboot the phone.

My only theory is that the PDK is clocking the CPU higher and it is staying that way until the phone is rebooted. I am considering hacking my Pre to stay at 600mhz because the difference is outstanding.

Has anyone else noticed anything similar to this? And would it be possible for Palm to change the 'Launcher app' to be PDK enabled and utilize the GPU for smooth scrolling?
    i seem to get the opposite effect on it, most of the time my launcher is slower after I play a game like that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Slickdarula View Post
    i seem to get the opposite effect on it, most of the time my launcher is slower after I play a game like that.
    Same here. Overall, the sluggishness and the lag are what most aggravate me about the device. I can deal with most other things (software-wise). The lag is really beginning to annoy me more and more each day.
    If you notice...if the top left of the screen doesn't say "Launcher" when you are scrolling thru, it'll be slow and sluggish.

once its says launcher up there instead of Sprint or whatever application you were in it'll be speedy.
    Quote Originally Posted by THAANSA3 View Post
    Same here. Overall, the sluggishness and the lag are what most aggravate me about the device. I can deal with most other things (software-wise). The lag is really beginning to annoy me more and more each day.
    Me, too. If Palm hasn't announced 2.0 or a new device by the time September rolls around (contract date), I might have to look at Android. It's insane, and this from someone who never has more than four cards (if that!) open at a time.

I finally doctored and upped my processor to 550Mhz last night, and it's doing a lot better though. We'll see how it goes after I install a few patches.
    Quote Originally Posted by galliorevo View Post
    I was just wondering if my experience is unique but whenever I start my phone from being completely off, the launcher is very sluggish to scroll through and if I have a card open it is extremely sluggish, almost unusable (which is why I use universal search more than anything rather than opening the launcher).

That's not the weird thing. The weird thing is that whenever I launch a PDK enabled game like NFS or Brothers in Arms and then exit the game, it's like a night and day difference in the launcher, almost as if a speed switch has been turned on. It's liquid smooth and it continues to be that way until I reboot the phone.

My only theory is that the PDK is clocking the CPU higher and it is staying that way until the phone is rebooted. I am considering hacking my Pre to stay at 600mhz because the difference is outstanding.

Has anyone else noticed anything similar to this? And would it be possible for Palm to change the 'Launcher app' to be PDK enabled and utilize the GPU for smooth scrolling?
    The PDK games do run at 600 and then it goes back to 500 when you close it. I pumped mine up to 600 and I've noticed that everything is snappier and smoother. Makes me wish the GPU was enabled across the board.

I'm on my third Pre (Drop kicking a phone tends to lead to it being replaced ) I've never seen the lag people complain about, it isn't as smooth as say the UI on an iphone but that isn't lag it's just not as fluid of a motion. Perhaps the term lag gets overused or used improperly (That's the case with "overclocking" but I digress) What I've always considered lag was, for example, I went to scroll through my launcher and it hung for a second and then began to scroll not that it scrolls fine but the animations aren't smooth. Not that I doubt that there is perceivable lag for some people I just tend to believe choppy animations get called lag way too often.
    Last edited by xome1983; 02/17/2010 at 11:28 AM.
    Global Posts
    38 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by xome1983 View Post
    The PDK games do run at 600 and then it goes back to 500 when you close it. I pumped mine up to 600 and I've noticed that everything is snappier and smoother. Makes me wish the GPU was enabled across the board.
    That's what I thought, although it seems mine stays at 600 and doesn't revert back.
    Quote Originally Posted by xome1983 View Post

I'm. on my third Pre (Drop kicking a phone tends to lead to it being replaced ) I've never seen the lag people complain about, it isn't as smooth as say the UI on an iphone but that isn't lag it's just not as fluid of a motion. Perhaps the term lag gets overused or used improperly (That's the case with "overclocking" but I digress) What I've always considered lag was, for example, I went to scroll through my launcher and it hung for a second and then began to scroll not that it scrolls fine but the animations aren't smooth. Not that I doubt that there is perceivable lag for some people I just tend to believe choppy animations get called lag way too often.
    I see lag every single day on my phone. I know what you're saying, but I just don't think it applies to me. I end of having to press things two or three times before realizing that it registered the "click" the first time, but it was just lagging behind. It's quite frustrating, especially when I'm trying to do something quickly. I, and I can't speak for anyone else, feel that's the only thing I can truly gripe about. I can deal with everything else, good and bad.
    Quote Originally Posted by THAANSA3 View Post
    I see lag every single day on my phone. I know what you're saying, but I just don't think it applies to me. I end of having to press things two or three times before realizing that it registered the "click" the first time, but it was just lagging behind. It's quite frustrating, especially when I'm trying to do something quickly. I, and I can't speak for anyone else, feel that's the only thing I can truly gripe about. I can deal with everything else, good and bad.
    I tend to be an optimist so I'm optimistic that the smoothness will be addressed in future updates. Have you had your Pre replaced or are you on your first? If you are I'd suggest you get it replaced because I don't think that sort of lag is normal or even very common. One thing I'm fairly certain of is that the iphone is the only phone at the moment that currently utilizes the GPU for the UI. I could be wrong and if I am feel free to chime in, but I don't think the Nexus One even utilizes the GPU for the UI.
    I hate the lag too or whatever you wanna call it. Is that something that can be fixed? If you noticed like engadget, they compare all phones UI to the iPhone because of how smooth the iPhone is. They even said the snappier Droid and the Nexus is not as smooth as per say the iPhone.

Not advocating iPhone, but as Im writing this Im sitting at my desk supporting Apple iPhones for Apple LOL while I play on my Pre! Yea Baby! lol