1.    #1  
    Hi all!

Can y'all recommend a stylus for the Pre that you have had a personal successful experience with?

I have poor circulation in my hands that lead to cold/blue fingers and therefore lots of frustration with the Pre's capacitive screen not detecting my touch. One example: I get reeeeeeally frustrated when trying to put my cursor in a particular spot to fix a spelling error in a text message. It's like trying to get two magnets to come together at the same poles.

Seems there are a lot of iPhone styli out there, but Precentral sells only one kind of stylus for the Pre. It's expensive, and reviews at this store and elsewhere suggest that users have had inconsistent success with it. If I'm going to spend a precious $20 on something, I'd like to know it has a decent chance of working. I don't have any disposable income in the first place, so I'd be even happier to spend less than $10!!!

I tried a couple DIY styli, BTW, and they didn't help. One involved a wet sponge in a metal tube, the other involved a snap.

I really WANT to bond with my Pre and love it, but I've had it for over a month and have experienced so many inconveniences that my path to reconciliation with Palm (after the heartbreak of my 650 and 755p) seems to be steep and tiresome. I'm trying not to get my hopes too high that the OS update will alleviate some of these annoyances (like the dismal photo quality, memory usage, and assorted little glitches, slow-downs and freezes).

But I digress.

I think that reducing my frustration with a poorly-responsive and inaccurate touch screen would probably ease my mind a lot. Overall, that's my biggest source of teeth-gnashing. I can live with the other things because, much as I love handheld entertainment, the phone DOES works very well for the fundamental reasons I got it: phone and organizer. I gotta give Palm props for those successes.

Many thanks,
    Barb
    didnt know raynaud's would have an effect on using touchscreens........(i'm guessing thats what you have)....

i havent found anything that has worked, however in japan they use sausages, (no joke).

you could always go back to using a resistive screen...
    slimjims work great!
    I don't have any personal experience, but any stylus designed for an iPhone should work with the Pre. They both use the same type of touchscreen.
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    fingertips and/or fingernails
    I would think that the styli that work with the iPhone would work with the Pre as well. That said, this caught my eye:
    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleMama View Post
    I get reeeeeeally frustrated when trying to put my cursor in a particular spot to fix a spelling error in a text message. It's like trying to get two magnets to come together at the same poles.
    Don't know if you're aware of this (many users don't seem to be), but if you hold down the orange/grey (Sprint/Verizion) key, while moving your finger anywhere on the screen area, it will move the cursor for you. Much easier that way.
    I bought one of the Pogo styluses designed for iPhones, and it doesn't work well on the Pre. It sorta works, but requires such firm pressure that I'd be afraid of cracking the screen. Apparently the Pre's touchscreen is less sensitive than the iPhone's, which is made of glass.
  9.    #10  
    A very educated guess, but my problem is a combo of dysautonomia, chronic fatigue syndrome and fibromyalgia.
    I'm really just guessing that the poor circulation in my fingers reduces their conductivity. I could be wrong there. My poor dexterity could be the bigger issue contributing to the problem.
  10.    #11  
    I saw that article. Hilarious! Not too practical for my situation, although I would treasure the looks on people's faces.
  11.    #12  
    HParsons, you're my hero!!!!! I had no idea about that little trick! It works like a charm.

My problem is solved! And for free, no less. I don't feel any need to buy a stylus now.

Thanks everyone else for all of your replies. It's wonderful to have an online community like this.

Barb
    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleMama View Post
    HParsons, you're my hero!!!!! I had no idea about that little trick! It works like a charm.

My problem is solved! And for free, no less. I don't feel any need to buy a stylus now.

Thanks everyone else for all of your replies. It's wonderful to have an online community like this.

Barb
    It's nice to be a hero. Believe me, I've been called worse on here

You (and others as well) might want to read through the Help app. It's got lots of tips in there that some may miss.
    Global Posts
    570 Global Posts
    Oscar Meyer sausage links work well for a stylus. Atleast thats what the iPhone website said. Not sure Id try it though
    Have you checked the Precentral Store, it lists a stylus. There's even a section called "Styli" even though there's only 1 stylus available.

http://store.precentral.net/palm-pre-styli.htm
  15.    #16  
    Sigh.

Seems that a stylus would still improve my user experience after all. My initial excitement over HParsons' tip has diminished after trying to do my beloved crosswords, play Solitaire, pop Bubbles, and do anything on the web on the phone. The helpful hint still works great for texting, tho, and I'm still very grateful.

So, I'll check out the eBay listing that wwarren2 posted.

I'd welcome any further suggestions on capacitive styli that are known to work with the Pre (or knows it does NOT work and that I should steer clear of it).

Thanks again,
    Barb
  16.    #17  
    Well, I ordered the stylus from the eBay listing wwarren2 posted. The bad news: it doesn't work. The good news: it only cost $3.85 with shipping.

I discovered that a v.v. thin film of grease had collected under my screen protector. I cleaned it, put on a new screen protector, and the touch screen is more responsive now. I've decided I'd rather live with the minor annoyance of not being able to hit little targets on the screen rather than deal with the bigger annoyance of trying a bunch of different styli.

Thanks to everyone for your suggestions!!