webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Devices >  Palm Pre and Pre Plus > External Keyboard
External Keyboard

Old 02/17/2010, 08:00 AM   #1 (permalink)

Ok, people have explained why there's no Bluetooth Keyboard. Now can someone explain why we can't get a micro-usb keyboard for the Pre? This handicap and lack of an Audible app really make an otherwise amazing device seem stupid.
Old 02/17/2010, 09:11 AM   #2 (permalink)

The shortest answer is that it's going to be hard to find a hardware vendor willing to come out with a product that will require drivers that will violate Palm's API requirements.

I wouldn't be surprised to see someone hack a "driver" for some existing keyboard. However, given some of the issues with "Virtual Keyboard" (e.g., not being able to backspace in the browser is a biggie), I'm not sure it'd be worth it.

And I wouldn't go looking at Palm to do it.
squeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/17/2010, 10:04 AM   #3 (permalink)

The Pre/Pixi already have a keyboard. Need to write a novel on the go? Boot up your netbook. Don't expect Bluetooth/USB keyboard action anytime soon (or ever), this is on the bottom of the Palm to do list.
ryleyinstl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/17/2010, 11:15 AM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryleyinstl View Post
The Pre/Pixi already have a keyboard. Need to write a novel on the go? Boot up your netbook. Don't expect Bluetooth/USB keyboard action anytime soon (or ever), this is on the bottom of the Palm to do list.
Ok, I understand there are issues but a novel on the go is a bit dismissive. The keyboard is crap for taking notes at a conference etc and the external keyboards and the arguments for and against them have been around for a long time.

I had keyboards for several treos. I just find the regression aggravating and your comment totally useless. It's a shame to have to buy a netbook just because I need a keyboard occasionally. I don't expect anything from Palm since communicating with them is like praying...the difference being I believe God's there at least...

It's a simple thing. It's been done before. I just don't like how they just say F'em to whole groups of users regarding things they already did.
Old 02/17/2010, 11:29 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdhuntr View Post
Ok, I understand there are issues but a novel on the go is a bit dismissive. The keyboard is crap for taking notes at a conference etc and the external keyboards and the arguments for and against them have been around for a long time.

I had keyboards for several treos. I just find the regression aggravating and your comment totally useless. It's a shame to have to buy a netbook just because I need a keyboard occasionally. I don't expect anything from Palm since communicating with them is like praying...the difference being I believe God's there at least...

It's a simple thing. It's been done before. I just don't like how they just say F'em to whole groups of users regarding things they already did.
To Palm's defense, they have many groups of people to deal with. I imagine the number people wanting external keyboard is very small, so it is not on their high priority list. BTW, what you asked for is an enhancement not a defect of Pre, they are not obligated to do every request everyone out there wants.
Old 02/17/2010, 11:34 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:

You're upset because Palm is focused on making a smartphone and not a notetaking tool? It can't possibly be everything and making it work for every possible want just doesn't make sense. It's currently lacking, even as a smartphone, so why would they drop what they're doing to add support for an external keyboard? While it may be very important to you, I dare say that the number of people that want such a thing is small enough that it cannot be at the top (or even the middle) of the list.

Here's the thing: when the original Palm was released, and the Treos, there were no other viable options for mobile notetaking. Now, with netbooks being cheap, light/small, and reliable, there's an option for those that want to take extensive notes, write long documents, etc. while on the go. And with the new interest in tablets, like the iPad, there's going to be some rethinking of how people use mobile devices, to some extent.

I appreciate the want to buy one device and carry only one thing (although a keyboard would be another!). However, if I were a serious notetaker, I'd definitely want something other than the tiny screen of the Pre, even with a full size keyboard. And while you could say "that's just you," I think that the number of people that don't take extensive notes or who would find a Pre+keyboard lacking anyway vastly outnumbers those that would be perfectly happy with the Pre+keyboard.

In the end, if this is something you want, then you definitely should look to the manufacturers of the keyboards you've used/seen for the Treo and other smartphones. If this is such a great idea, that will make anyone a ton of money because demand is so great, at least one of them would be more than happy to help. I've seen products for the iPhone that fit over the phone and press the screen when you press physical buttons. Perhaps someone can build a device that pushes the Pre's buttons when you press the buttons on the larger keyboard.
Old 02/17/2010, 11:36 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
I just don't like how they just say F'em to whole groups of users regarding things they already did.
Excuse me, but where can I find anyone at Palm that says "F'em"? Just because it doesn't exist, and it's not at the top of the priority list, doesn't mean that they are saying "F'em."

Or did you make this up?
Old 02/17/2010, 11:36 AM   #8 (permalink)

That's fair. The lack of an external keyboard solution was no secret. Palm is serving the biggest markets first in order to try and say viable.

Quote:
I just find the regression aggravating and your comment totally useless.
ryleyinstl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/17/2010, 11:55 AM   #9 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Sounds like you need a $200 Netbook... Netbook + MyTether = Problem solved.
Garrett92C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/17/2010, 12:50 PM   #10 (permalink)

Too much to quote, squeff, but...I only started the thread and I am only 'upset' because we had this in the last howevermany devices. I'll be equally ticked at infiniti if they bring back my beloved Q45 but stick window cranks on it.

I don't expect they'll do it now based on what I have heard...but I think it is nothing other than stupid that they didn't include a capability that probably needed probably little SW engineering and no effect on HW. There were other examples I don't even care about like video, document editing, etc.

As for the F'em comment...you are right, they didn't actually say that. I take it back. I'd have respected that. They didn't respond at all...to the extremely well-hidden ways of communicating. They also do not respond to inquiries about an Audible App when Audible is the one telling us to reach out to Palm.

I keep reading stories about troubles there. I can't help but think it doesn't help to ignore customers whether you do what they want or not. And ,please, no more chiding about little groups wanting their own stuff.

If it were MY company I would conspicuously have an official forum right here that was at least monitored. No dialogue on every message obviously but some kind of interaction...

That's not what I am ticked about. I guess I am done, at least until someone else tells me what I am thinking...

Hilarious, I hit send,refresh and first thing I see is the Dataviz letdown. Which basically says that PALM is the 'too small to care about' group in the mobile OS world. I guess, Garrett ,the math will soon be $200 'Droid =Problem Solved.

Last edited by hdhuntr; 02/17/2010 at 12:57 PM. Reason: update...
hdhuntr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/17/2010, 01:32 PM   #11 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

$200 Droid + $? Exterrnal Keyboard = More expensive. Seriously though, why not just get a cheap netbook for taking notes? You'll have a decent size keyboard, internet, 10+ inch screen, and much more functionality then simply using a phone...
Garrett92C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/17/2010, 01:57 PM   #12 (permalink)

I can keep (and have kept) a Palm handheld and a folded BT KB in pants or jacket pockets, and type comfortably in a coach airplane seat (I'm 6 feet tall). Try that with a netbook. {Jonathan}

Last edited by Jonathan I Ezor; 02/17/2010 at 07:00 PM.
Jonathan I Ezor#IM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/17/2010, 02:04 PM   #13 (permalink)

I would appreciate an external keyboard on occasion (Epic forum posts on the go) too but like other people have said it really has to be at the bottom of the list for a phone that has a physical keyboard. I think of it more as a minor oversight than as a glaring issue. I'd almost be willing to bet it will be addressed at some point. Quickly enough to stave off the OP defecting to Android? I have no clue, but more Palm users the better so I hope so. To the OP, it sounds like you have a lot of discontent for Palm which is weird considering your sig tells me you've been loyal for a while. Any particular situation leave this bad taste in your mouth or is it just the keyboard issue?
xome1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/17/2010, 02:24 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Too much to quote, squeff, but...I only started the thread and I am only 'upset' because we had this in the last howevermany devices. I'll be equally ticked at infiniti if they bring back my beloved Q45 but stick window cranks on it.
First, understand that the Palm company that makes the Pre has very little in common with the company that made, say, the Palm IIIx (my first Palm) or even more recent Treo devices. Lots of different players, different business strategy.

Second, your analogy isn't right. In fact, it kind of goes AGAINST your point. You want them to put what's old (e.g., window cranks or external keyboards) on something new.

Third, consider what the Pre would be like if they did whatever was on "the last howevermany devices." The screen would be larger. There would be a stylus.

Sometimes, when you come out with something new, you have to get rid of some of the old. In some cases, that's a good thing. In others, we long for the old.

All I'm saying is that the Pre still needs work. In my opinion, which is different from yours, there are things that are significantly more important than an external keyboard.

I have to ask: if the Treo was so much better than the Pre (since the ability to have an external keyboard is so critical to you), why'd you switch? Did anyone tell you "if you move to the Pre, Palm will guarantee an external keyboard."

I'm a big fan of letting companies know what you value. If it's a keyboard, then keep giving Palm your feedback. You'd be surprised how much they actually know what's going on here.
Old 02/17/2010, 02:37 PM   #15 (permalink)

There's a statement from Palm about this issue in a blog post where they respond to questions people asked on Twitter:

The Official Palm Blog: Answers to a few FTQs (frequently tweeted questions)

It says:

Quote:
Enough with the Bluetooth keyboards already! We get the point.
I seem to remember reading other posts as well where they say that they've got the message that this is something people want. I don't think they've ever said anything about when it might happen or promised that it would, but it sounds like they don't need any convincing that there's a market for it.
Brainiac 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/17/2010, 02:46 PM   #16 (permalink)

If the big eye is Palm we're seeing, then read: my vote for an external keyboard
despinova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/17/2010, 03:00 PM   #17 (permalink)

I second the motion for an external keyboard.
womp#WN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/17/2010, 03:13 PM   #18 (permalink)

Ill have to admit that I miss my old palm pilot external and my IR version. Granted its not a need, but great for writting emails or taking notes in a meeting or class without having to bring my laptop out. That feature will be missed.
Old 02/17/2010, 06:49 PM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by liquidxit2 View Post
Ill have to admit that I miss my old palm pilot external and my IR version. Granted its not a need, but great for writting emails or taking notes in a meeting or class without having to bring my laptop out. That feature will be missed.
Wait, Palm removed the IR on the Pre! That proves that they HATE us customers. Right?

I wanna beam stuff to people.
Old 02/17/2010, 06:58 PM   #20 (permalink)

For those that may not have been reading PreCentral back in August, my piece on this (with a very interesting and revealing poll) is here. Updated thoughts always appreciated. {Jonathan}
@webOSquire on Twitter
Jonathan I Ezor#IM is offline   Reply With Quote

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0