Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 35 of 35
  1. #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by hdhuntr View Post
    Ok, people have explained why there's no Bluetooth Keyboard. Now can someone explain why we can't get a micro-usb keyboard for the Pre? This handicap and lack of an Audible app really make an otherwise amazing device seem stupid.
    By the way, to answer the question you actually asked, the Pre does not currently support USB host mode, which would be required for it to utilize any external USB device (from a keyboard to an external drive), irrespective of any driver issues. The hardware just doesn't do it. {Jonathan}
    Prof. Jonathan I. Ezor
    Writer, PreCentral
    Past Palm Real Reviewer
    @webOSquire on Twitter
  2. squeff's Avatar
    Posts
    581 Posts
    Global Posts
    623 Global Posts
    #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan I Ezor View Post
    For those that may not have been reading PreCentral back in August, my piece on this (with a very interesting and revealing poll) is here. Updated thoughts always appreciated. {Jonathan}
    If the 1,551 people that votes "a thousand times yes" can each send me $50, I'll take care of getting you a keyboard solution. I figure, for $77,000, it'd be worth my time to quit my job and code up some sort of driver for a keyboard or devise a hardware solution of some sort.

    PM me if you'd like to send me the money. When I hit 1,551 commitments of $50, I'll let you know.
    Last edited by squeff; 02/17/2010 at 06:28 PM.
  3. hdhuntr's Avatar
    Posts
    218 Posts
    Global Posts
    696 Global Posts
       #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by squeff View Post
    First, understand that the Palm company that makes the Pre has very little in common with the company that made, say, the Palm IIIx (my first Palm) or even more recent Treo devices. Lots of different players, different business strategy.

    Second, your analogy isn't right. In fact, it kind of goes AGAINST your point. You want them to put what's old (e.g., window cranks or external keyboards) on something new.

    Third, consider what the Pre would be like if they did whatever was on "the last howevermany devices." The screen would be larger. There would be a stylus.

    Sometimes, when you come out with something new, you have to get rid of some of the old. In some cases, that's a good thing. In others, we long for the old.

    All I'm saying is that the Pre still needs work. In my opinion, which is different from yours, there are things that are significantly more important than an external keyboard.

    I have to ask: if the Treo was so much better than the Pre (since the ability to have an external keyboard is so critical to you), why'd you switch? Did anyone tell you "if you move to the Pre, Palm will guarantee an external keyboard."

    I'm a big fan of letting companies know what you value. If it's a keyboard, then keep giving Palm your feedback. You'd be surprised how much they actually know what's going on here.
    First, Thanks to Prof Jonathan for answering my question. It puts a slightly different spin on things but not too much.

    Now, On to figuring out what squeff is saying...or rather, once again explaining to him what I am saying. My analogy is dead-on if I point out that no one would expect a car like the Q45 to revert to window cranks instead of electric buttons.

    Regardless of who works at Palm now I believe all previous devices I listed below had the capability of interfacing with some kind of external keyboard. It's one of the reasons my hardly-used laptop is a Dell Anvil (er Inspiron) circa 2004.

    We are not talking about a huge item here and it's just like some of the other oddball stuff that was left out of the first Pre. I switched to it because I always get the new one, whatever it is. It was weeks before I shockingly discovered that it had no capability. I knew it didn't have IR but I am not a SW engineer. I pretty much thought Bluetooth was Bluetooth and not Bluetooth for headsets only or whatever.

    To xome1983 and squeff Finding how hard it was to give Palm feedback is the main source of my angst toward the company. I loved all my previous devices except the 600 which wasn't there too long. All of them,even the 600 were improvements over previous models and I don't remember ever a single instance of taking away a capability from a prior version.

    After all this, I still love my Pre and I like WebOS. I just hate trying to communicate with Palm. Now I have to leave to find a place where I can ask why something like importing a list of bookmarks seems to be so hard...
    Treo 300,600,650,755p and now Pre
  4. squeff's Avatar
    Posts
    581 Posts
    Global Posts
    623 Global Posts
    #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by hdhuntr View Post
    I switched to it because I always get the new one, whatever it is. It was weeks before I shockingly discovered that it had no capability. I knew it didn't have IR but I am not a SW engineer. I pretty much thought Bluetooth was Bluetooth and not Bluetooth for headsets only or whatever.
    All of this is 100% your fault. You jumped to something, without bothering to look at whether or not it would meet your needs. You assumed that it would do/have what YOU wanted, and never gave much of a thought as to "maybe it's not the device for me."

    It's foolish to every buy something because, as you say, "I always get the new one, whatever it is." Those that do this need to be people that enjoy having "whatever it is" and not get upset when it's not what they wanted.

    It's understandable that you didn't understand Bluetooth, but I have to say... of every cell phone I've ever owned that's had BT, none has allowed me to use an external keyboard.

    Quote Originally Posted by hdhuntr View Post
    Finding how hard it was to give Palm feedback is the main source of my angst toward the company.
    I agree, but how many companies let you voice your concerns directly to anyone? Is it any harder for an individual to get heard with Palm that Microsoft, General Motors, or CIGNA? Last time I checked, these companies didn't make it that easy for you and I to tell them what we thought... and to get them to listen.

    Now, I do wish that every company, Palm included, would do better about serving me. So, like I said, I'm advocate of giving feedback.

    For the record, you can reach Palm in several ways. However, just because they don't have a keyboard for you doesn't mean that they don't listen to consumers.

    What's in this for me? I see there are other deficiencies in the product, and I'd rather they deliver a more stable and reliable phone first.

    I notice that not a single person has PM'ed me saying that they'd be willing to put up any money to get such a product developed. It's easy for all those people to vote that they want a keyboard. But when it comes to reaching into your wallet, it seems no one really cares enough.

    Tell you what: since this is so important to you, and you believe that there is a huge market for it, are YOU willing to invest, say, $50,000 in development of a keyboard for the Pre? If the market is as big as you say, and it's so vital, surely you'd have the confidence to put up the money. The profits will just roll in, right?
  5. #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by hdhuntr View Post
    To xome1983 and squeff Finding how hard it was to give Palm feedback is the main source of my angst toward the company.
    Here's a page where you can give Palm feedback: Feedback & Feature Requests | Palm USA
  6. hdhuntr's Avatar
    Posts
    218 Posts
    Global Posts
    696 Global Posts
       #26  
    Quote Originally Posted by squeff View Post
    All of this is 100% your fault. You jumped to something, without bothering to look at whether or not it would meet your needs. You assumed that it would do/have what YOU wanted, and never gave much of a thought as to "maybe it's not the device for me."

    It's foolish to every buy something because, as you say, "I always get the new one, whatever it is." Those that do this need to be people that enjoy having "whatever it is" and not get upset when it's not what they wanted.

    It's understandable that you didn't understand Bluetooth, but I have to say... of every cell phone I've ever owned that's had BT, none has allowed me to use an external keyboard.
    Dude, it's time for you to settle down. Of course it is 100% my fault but it wasn't THAT big a deal until you turned into someone who sounds like one of my wives. Read the whole thread,take a valium and stop. Finally, As I already said, all my prior devices by that company allowed me to use external keyboards since they were first made for them. I'd still have bought the Pre anyhow and I don't use the keyboard that much. It's just an annoyance that I have spent too much time on...like this exchange... And Brainiac, thanks for the link!
    Treo 300,600,650,755p and now Pre
  7. #27  
    Quote Originally Posted by Brainiac 5 View Post
    Here's a page where you can give Palm feedback: Feedback & Feature Requests | Palm USA
    As a long time BT keyboard user, I appreciate the link. I went and calmly and rationally explained why this feature matters to me. Everyone needs to remember that each person on the forums has their own opinion of what a phone should do, and if your particular opinion happens to differ with that of the OP, it doesn't mean that you have to change your view to match.
  8. #28  
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan I Ezor View Post
    I can keep (and have kept) a Palm handheld and a folded BT KB in pants or jacket pockets, and type comfortably in a coach airplane seat (I'm 6 feet tall). Try that with a netbook. {Jonathan}
    I used to pull my ir keyboard along with my treo 600 and peeps used to go bananas during lunch at my extreme dorkyness...go me...lol

    but on a more serious note...with the proliferation of netbooks and the willingness of folk to stare at an 8" or 10" screen, couldn't we use that foleo running webOS right about now? lol
    Palm 105--->Samsung i-300--->Treo 300-->Treo 600-->Treo 300 (still has the best keyboard)-->Treo 755p-->Palm PRE-->Treo 680(unlocked by me)--->iPhone 3G---->iPhone 4---->Hp Pre3
  9. kzmj's Avatar
    Posts
    8 Posts
    #29  
    why not an external usb keyboard? The Palm Pre IS a computer. It runs linux. Why can't we have just ANY usb keyboard working with it? Ain't it is universal nowadays to plug any usb keyboard in a hole and it would work? ;-)
  10. iclimb513's Avatar
    Posts
    38 Posts
    Global Posts
    39 Global Posts
    #30  
    Quote Originally Posted by hdhuntr View Post

    If it were MY company I would conspicuously have an official forum right here that was at least monitored. No dialogue on every message obviously but some kind of interaction...

    No, if it were YOUR company, you'd already be bankrupt from using too much resource to cater to some tiny minority of ***** whiners who will never be happy EVER because the device they bought didn't do some stupid thing that almost no one cares about. And forget about the fact that said stupid thing was never advertised as included / possible.

    It never ends, does it?
  11. #31  
    Quote Originally Posted by iclimb513 View Post
    No, if it were YOUR company, you'd already be bankrupt from using too much resource to cater to some tiny minority of ***** whiners who will never be happy EVER because the device they bought didn't do some stupid thing that almost no one cares about. And forget about the fact that said stupid thing was never advertised as included / possible.

    It never ends, does it?
    wow ever try taking a chill pill
  12. #32  
    I hope using a bluetooth keyboard becomes possible in the future. I am always thinking of ways to better take notes in class, and this would be pretty ideal for me. I have horrible handwriting and can type much faster on a keyboard. Plus, typed notes are much better for studying because I can use ctrl f to find what i'm looking for. It would be so convenient to save everything on scratch, then when I get home I can email my class notes to myself and save them in ms word. The usefulness (for me personally) would really outweigh how nerdy it would make me look.
  13. #33  
    Count me as really wanting to use a BT Keyboard.

    Sure the little keyboard is fine for quick text messages, but when you are sitting in an airport or someone else's office replying to a dozen lengthy emails, etc. there is nothing better than a little fold-up keyboard.

    Having used them with a TX (IR) and a Centro (BT), I love and miss them.

    Besides, my thumbs get tired.
  14. #34  
    Quote Originally Posted by Fan Uno View Post
    Count me as really wanting to use a BT Keyboard.
    I just wanted to also put in my vote, albeit late, FOR the ability to use a keyboard. To all the people who say in response to a feature request that you don't need it: who are you to tell someone what they want or need? Do you physically protest or otherwise intercede if someone overweight buys some butter at the local grocery store? I myself think it is insane to not have a detachable keyboard. Bluetooth tech is there. USB host mode, should be there too IMO. Did anyone make any progress on this front? Or did you all just jump to android, which has this essential feature. Yes, *essential* - due to the lack of a webos Pocket Controller, dotPocket, or ActiveSync Remote Display app.
    twitter com /jasontaylor7 A fresh post each day!
  15. #35  
    Bluetooth keyboard support was added back for 2.x - 3.x...

    No such available for 1.x??? I believe.

    Pair any Bluetooth keyboard to a webOS device [webOS 2.x & 3.x] | webOS Nation
    Lumia 1520.3 (the Beastly Unicorn): Windows 10 Mobile

    Windows Central Senior Ambassador

    Mobile Nations Devotee
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions