Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I just got a new touchstone back and charger and when i put my phone on it it keeps going on and off charge so the "charging battery" notification keeps popping up. Any ideas what could be causing this?
    Global Posts
    261 Global Posts
    I've been having this problem with 2 Touchstones. I've also asked the question and answers range from, "its the Touchstone, return it" to, "its 1.3.5.1, maybe the next update will fix it".

Anyway. Head over to the "Pre Accessories" section of the forum and you will find this topic discussed at length.
    Global Posts
    95 Global Posts
    First thing I would check is if you are using the official Palm charge cable with it. I have heard from friends that theirs didn't work right with a off brand when plugged into their PC, but did on the AC adapter.

Anyone know the lemon rate on touchstones?
  4.    #4  
    I am using the offical palm cable.

@Vizi, did you find a solution, or do you still have the problem?
    Global Posts
    205 Global Posts
    Mine did this - it was a faulty back plate
    This might be overly-simple for your situation, but I've found that I get this symptom when the pre isn't properly seated on top of the touchstone. When it happenes, I find that it's sitting kind of crooked. But I can always get it to stop when I adjust it.
    who knows how many threads we have about it?
    Global Posts
    447 Global Posts
    I had the same problem, it was the faulty touchstone base.
    Got it replaced, haven't had a problem since.
    Global Posts
    251 Global Posts
    I had same problem it was a a bad wall plug(the black device not the actual socket in my house), but if I plugged the usb right into the phone it would charge.
    Global Posts
    660 Global Posts
    Since about 3 months into my launch day phone I've gone through every possible fix other than replacing the phone and eventually it starts doing this again. The only thing that seems to pacify the phone is to restart it every time I put it on the TS to charge. Like others have said, try the simple stuff first. I can only assume there's a reason other phone manufacturers haven't adopted this technology considering that it's been around for a very long time. It's not very reliable but it sure is fun.
    FYI: My Pre is as plain vanilla as the day it came out of the box...
    Global Posts
    16 Global Posts
    I went through 2 touchstones and finally gave up on them. In both cases for me it was the actual touch stone base unit, not the cover.
    Global Posts
    261 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kel101 View Post
    I am using the offical palm cable.

@Vizi, did you find a solution, or do you still have the problem?
    Still having the problem, but it's pretty sporadic. FYI I'm using the Palm cable.
    Without a doubt it is a problem with the Touchstone. When I first got my Touchstone it did that "ON/OFF" sporadically when it hit about 90%. I called Palm and they replaced it. Now it doesn't do that.

The person above who stated that the cable can do it is also correct. If you connect a micro USB power connector (not Palm) to the Touchstone that doesn't supply enough current it will also happen.
    Global Posts
    142 Global Posts
    I have this problem sometimes but not always. I don't think it is a contact or electrical problem, here's why: If I reboot the Pre the problem goes away 100% of the time! Very weird. Sometimes I can go a few days without the problem, sometimes it will happen two or three nights in a row. But EVERY time rebooting the Pre will solve it for at least the time it takes to fully charge (for me I always use the TS overnight)

Anyone have ideas what this solution suggests about the nature of the problem or how it might be fixed? It seems like it must actually be a software issue if the reboot always fixes it.
    I am having this problem too! It was working just fine until this week.
    Quote Originally Posted by jk175d View Post
    I have this problem sometimes but not always. I don't think it is a contact or electrical problem, here's why: If I reboot the Pre the problem goes away 100% of the time! Very weird. Sometimes I can go a few days without the problem, sometimes it will happen two or three nights in a row. But EVERY time rebooting the Pre will solve it for at least the time it takes to fully charge (for me I always use the TS overnight)

Anyone have ideas what this solution suggests about the nature of the problem or how it might be fixed? It seems like it must actually be a software issue if the reboot always fixes it.
    I have had it happen once or twice where I had to reboot to get it to work, but that is unusual.

If it happens almost every single time and the person is using a working Palm power adapter then it is a problem with the Touchstone and Palm will replace it.
    has anyone heard if Palm have acknowledged this issue and if they are working on a fix?
    Last edited by Divinitylost; 05/17/2010 at 02:35 AM.
    I had the same problem. I took the back cover off and on the phone the two metal prongs on the phone that touch the inside of the back cover I bent them out a little and now it works fine. I dont thing it was getting a good conection.
    I took mine and firmly slammed it on the carpet, bottom down, of course. Try it. Don't drop it hold it in your hand.
    Quote Originally Posted by ImmaSlave4U View Post
    I am having this problem too! It was working just fine until this week.
    Almost verbatim. With a few differences...

Quote Originally Posted by robdos View Post
    Mine did this - it was a faulty back plate
    This happened to me once...with an Artist series back! The first one lost its ability to charge. The replacement seems to now to have a holding pattern with the charger, where is stays clocked at a certain percentage...it even goes down a few numbers when charging!

Quote Originally Posted by RJKinsman View Post
    This might be overly-simple for your situation, but I've found that I get this symptom when the pre isn't properly seated on top of the touchstone. When it happenes, I find that it's sitting kind of crooked. But I can always get it to stop when I adjust it.
    Yep. I've had a dead battery in the morning sometimes if it's not hooked up correctly. This has been a recent occurrence.

Quote Originally Posted by jk175d View Post

I've done this [re-boot] off and on. It usually works.

Quote Originally Posted by kunedogg View Post
    I had the same problem. I took the back cover off and on the phone the two metal prongs on the phone that touch the inside of the back cover I bent them out a little and now it works fine. I dont thing it was getting a good conection.
    How do you do this without breaking it?

Quote Originally Posted by laingman View Post
    I took mine and firmly slammed it on the carpet, bottom down, of course. Try it. Don't drop it hold it in your hand.
    The Touchstone? What is this supposed to do, exactly?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast