1.    #1  
    So, Microsoft unveiled their new windows 7 phone and it seems pretty cool for i love Windows and hate MacOS. However, i love my palm pre way too much as well. Do you think the Windows 7 phone will severely hurt Palm sales?

PC World- Review on Windows 7 Phone

This is my comparison and please let me know what you guys think.

Software

The "BAD"

Multitasking
    Palm pre has it, Windows 7 phone hasn't promised anything but you can "play music in the background"

Flash
    Palm pre has it (In Update 1.4), Windows 7 phone doesn't but they don't have anything against it.

Carriers (US)
    Palm Pre-Sprint, Verizon
    Windows 7- "All major carriers, but AT&T will get it first"

Previous Apps
    Palm Pre- App that can emulate the old OS
    Windows 7- No Previous Apps

Syncing
    Palm Pre-Mac+PC+Linux
    Windows 7-PC (Also, there is no Mac Zune software)

The "Good"

Email
    Palm Pre- Great but sometimes with issues
    Windows 7- Apparently outstanding email client and syncing

Office
    Palm Pre-NO OFFICIAL OFFICE EDITING APPS YET!!!!
    Windows 7- Integration with all Office software

Hardware

Keyboard?
    Palm Pre- Has one
    Windows 7- Some with, some without

Screen
    Palm Pre- 320x480
    Windows 7- 400x800

So, thats my comparison on the two phones. Of course, the windows phone has not been released yet and their are things to change, but this is the layout as it is. The Windows 7 Phone is scheduled to release in the 2010 holiday's.
    Global Posts
    664 Global Posts
    I like that ms is doing something different but I think the ui could use some simple improvements. I watched the promo video and there's just no pop. Having sharper colors, rounded edges, more detailed icons and tile borders would help.
  3. wkj
    Global Posts
    143 Global Posts
    My five year old would love this!

The calendar is pretty.

wkj
    I have absolutely zero interest in Windows 7 Phone. However, I would love to see a version of the Zune with everything but the phone.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    ^ +1. I absolutely hate the look of the UI.
    Looks awesome. Interesting UI. I have a Zune and think it would be cool to check out Windows Phone 7 Series when it arrives.
    I have used windows mobile phones in the past and because I have, I will never return to them again. However, having seen the new interface, I really do not understand why everyone is saying this is a cool looking phone. Really? Are people just saying that because it's a different interface? If I see a nice interface, whether I'm on the bandwagon or not, I'll give credit where credit is due, but this interface just is flat out unattractive, to say the least. (at least to me) I actually preferred the original design of WM 7 they had about a year ago (prototypes) and did look forward to that, but not this....

Not only does it look like something out of the 80s, but has anyone actually seen the walk-through on youtube? It's the most UN-intuitive UI I've seen to date. I think I would actually prefer Symbian over this. I think they've over-complicated things. It's almost like they took a really good concept - like Synergy from Palm - and WAY over-engineered it.

Who knows... I'm sure it'll still succeed because there's too many WM die hards out there (just like apple fan-boys) who will just jump aboard b/c it's their OS of choice. I will say that I do hope they've worked out all the major issues with WM 6.1 b/c that was absolutely terrible...
    To really make this phone deliver, they should NOT take away multi-tasking. That's one thing they had over other phones, especially the iPhone. Multi-tasking, copy/paste, 100% customization. I'm not seeing any of this...but I don't know anything about the platform either. But there's things in webOS that I'm really loving, and its going to take a lot for me to switch over to something else.
    I am sure the windows ui will make to someone.....emphasis is on "one"...like the one team that created it, but to me it seems unintuitive. They were bashing apple for the "go to one app, go to homescreen" thing, but....when they showed the phone off, I just saw more of the app/homescreen/no multitasking.

It's a mess to understand, it's ugly, its visually uninspiring. That little bit of stuff gliding and zooming in and out doesn't have the visual pop to mask over the inherent uglyness of the UI.

The integration with office, zune (for the few people that have it and haven't succumbed to the all controlling apple empire) and xbox live is nice and sounds promising, but.... are we really just going to get Xbox Live Arcade games?

When I first heard some initial rumblings about the new windows phone I got excited, then nervous (will I hate my Pre?), but then I saw the presentation, hugged my Pre, and told it....you're not going anywhere buddy, until your big bro shows up!

Nice try MS.....you certainly buried WinMo, you definitely will alienate the WinMo hackers and skinners that kept it alive, we'll see what happens. It's not nearly as flop worth as that stupid ipad that apple came out with, but I expected more!
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by sf_basilix View Post
    I have used windows mobile phones in the past and because I have, I will never return to them again. However, having seen the new interface, I really do not understand why everyone is saying this is a cool looking phone. Really? Are people just saying that because it's a different interface? If I see a nice interface, whether I'm on the bandwagon or not, I'll give credit where credit is due, but this interface just is flat out unattractive, to say the least. (at least to me) I actually preferred the original design of WM 7 they had about a year ago (prototypes) and did look forward to that, but not this....

Not only does it look like something out of the 80s, but has anyone actually seen the walk-through on youtube? It's the most UN-intuitive UI I've seen to date. I think I would actually prefer Symbian over this. I think they've over-complicated things. It's almost like they took a really good concept - like Synergy from Palm - and WAY over-engineered it.

Who knows... I'm sure it'll still succeed because there's too many WM die hards out there (just like apple fan-boys) who will just jump aboard b/c it's their OS of choice. I will say that I do hope they've worked out all the major issues with WM 6.1 b/c that was absolutely terrible...
    When talking about the interface, i agree that the design is out horrible and possible the worst option to multi-tasking. Where i give Microsoft credit is that the idea of have the "hubs" running in the background as a home screen is kinda of a cool idea. However, having that as the only multi tasking is bad but the idea was good. and with the hubs, i personally like it because apps were huge when the iPhone came out but it was because no other hone had them that made them so extraordinary. I think if Microsoft can fix these set backs, create a better UI and continue this "HUB" development, it may turn out to be the real deal.
    I had a Motorola Q9c running WinMo 6.1 before switching to the Pre, but at this point anything that Microsoft releases will be better than 6.1.

I was originally going to get an Android phone, but webOS has revolutionary and I wish developers would notice this. It's a great platform w/ consistent major updates.
    I had a Motorola Q9c running WinMo 6.1 before switching to the Pre, but at this point anything that Microsoft releases will be better than 6.1.

I was originally going to get an Android phone, but webOS has revolutionary and I wish developers would notice this. It's a great platform w/ consistent major updates.