Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    So I came across an article from an android forum that said the guys over at android have managed to overclock thier droids (with the exact same processor as our pres) up to 1.1Ghz, and seem to think that 800Mhz is a relatively safe clocking to stay at when keeping heat in mind.

I have a friend with a droid who used the android program and clocked his droid up to 1Ghz without any problems, everything ran with just as much stability as before. Along with being able to overclock, they used a program that didn't look that dissimilar to one that could be found on a normal computer so changing settings was as simple as a swipe and a tap.

It seems like this would be something that many pre users could greatly appreciate, I haven't heard of the droid having much of a speed problem, but the pre could make great use of an extra 300 Mhz to show webos whos boss.

Here is the link to what I was looking at. I saw the program first hand and it was very intuitive.

http://gizmodo.com/5457672/how-to-ov...sibly-to-death

Obviously there is some risk involved with something like this, but was does everyone think about having something like this for the pre??

I've been running the 600Mhz patches for a while and am all for it. I'm just incapable of making a program like this
    Last edited by KJBlauw; 02/16/2010 at 03:28 PM.
    it requires a different kernel for the cpu and so far the word is it cant be done (yet?)
    When I had the 600 patch running in my Pre, when an app was running it sucked down the battery like nobody's business. Can't imagine what the battery draw is like running at 1ghz.
  4.    #4  
    I'm sure battery life wouldn't be great, but that is something i would be willing to sacrifice to see webos running at full speed
    I am running at 600 and my battery is still the same, at least that what I am noticing.
    It's much more complicated then you think. The 600Mhz thing was no big deal, that's what the processor is designed to run and a linux command just threw it up from 500.

A kernal is a big deal, basically imagine the most basic commands of a computer, write, read, add, subtract, multiply, divide. You would have to create these and communicate directly to the hardware, and then build upon that to recreate webos. WebOS happens to be compiled so you couldn't just take the old code and throw it on top of your basic communications. Android differs in this way.

I'd say, unless Palm releases the source for WebOS, or does it themselves, we're not going to see any over-clocking. (There is a chance Palm could release something which the smart guys over at internals could take advantage of, but it's kinda like the 3D apps and we need the underpinnings first)
    I had the SR 600 patch, maybe it works different then the just the reclocking patch.
    I disagree, things have never looked better for webOS, JMO.
    Quote Originally Posted by htabbach View Post
    I am running at 600 and my battery is still the same, at least that what I am noticing.
    Same with my Pre.
  10.    #10  
    The best part about the program they are using for this is it allows you to turn on or off scaling, or set whether you want performance, batterylife, etc.. Just like on a laptop.

This would help with the batterylife, and you could easily change the settings if you want your battery to last a little longer

I really hope the guys at internals can get their hands on whats needed to write kernals like this
    Quote Originally Posted by netwrkr9 View Post
    I disagree, things have never looked better for webOS, JMO.
    How do you mean, market share is droping while android and Iphone are gaining. I don't think so. I'm rooting for palm but unless they come out with a quality built device and good advertising its not looking good. **** if by the time a 3.7"+ android device is available through sprint with a snapdragon process I will probably switch just because of the hardware and I know for a fact that allot of pre users feel the same way. Maybe not on these forums but not everyone is as excited about webos as we are.
    Really? Market share is growing, Palm is selling more and more units, Verizon is now advertising and soon Palm products will be available on at&t. I remember not too long ago in 09 doomsayers were saying that Palm would not last till the end of the year. Palm will be around for many years to come, so relax chicken littles.
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by netwrkr9 View Post
    Really? Market share is growing, Palm is selling more and more units, Verizon is now advertising and soon Palm products will be available on at&t. I remember not too long ago in 09 doomsayers were saying that Palm would not last till the end of the year. Palm will be around for many years to come, so relax chicken littles.
    I agree... most people still don't know what a palm pre is, so its not like everyone has moved on to the next android device, they are just waiting to hear about it. Now that verizon has atleast one decent ad things should start turning around.
    Yeah, I agree with you, Palm and Sprint could certainly learn a thing a two from Verizon when it comes to marketing.
    verizon for marketing lol sure all moms are smart enough for a pre or not ! Ha ha jeez that was terrible marketing imo at least ha!
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    I started a thread about this a few days ago:

http://forums.precentral.net/web-os-...m-kernels.html

To the guy who said we won't see any of this until Palm releases the source, the source has been out. WebOS is mostly open-source, and anybody can download the kernel source.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadavis08 View Post
    verizon for marketing lol sure all moms are smart enough for a pre or not ! Ha ha jeez that was terrible marketing imo at least ha!
    That was pretty bad I have to admit, maybe a last second effort to make it in time for Valentines Day, but their newest commercial is much better. Look how many Droid units they have pushed in a small amount of time.
  18.    #18  
    So this is a possibility, if i knew anything about computer langauge i might have noticed the kernal thread. It doesn't look like any of the major players (as far as i know) from webos internals chimed in. I guess no news is good news, because none of them chimed in to say it can't be done. I would LOVE to see something like this on webos.
    I don't get it. I've compiled my own kernels before. The kernel is open source. They can't add closed source code. Did they add some sort of GPL subversive, nVidia style kernel module? Is it just that nobody considers this high priority? I could understand that.

What kind of change is needed in the kernel?

Tell me what needs changing, and maybe I'll take a crack at it, if the only problem is no one has taken the time.

EDIT: I see in the other thread, "What I want isn't scaling, but more CPU speeds compiled into the kernel."

I've never in seen an option to "compile in more cpu speeds" in any kernel I've ever configured. I'm guessing the real answer is something like, "we can change the cpu frequency, but not the bus frequency," or "but not the multiplier." Need to hear something like "switch CONFIG_CPU_IDLE_GOV_LADDER from no to yes," and maybe I can try to get it compiled.
    Last edited by csplinter; 02/16/2010 at 05:18 PM.
    I have actually been trying to build a custom kernel to overclock... the fastest it will let me go is 600 at boot with the .config supplied by Palm. I might hack some more and find out how the Droid hackers made this work *if* it really works. I also played around with webOS 1.3.5.2 source. kinda stupid of me.

and the binary-only modules dont load for me while making a custom kernel. But I did end up with a nice tight kernel that felt smoother but wifi module wont load. kind uesless.
    Live free or DIE!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast