Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1.    #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by csplinter View Post
    Tell me what needs changing, and maybe I'll take a crack at it, if the only problem is no one has taken the time.
    I'm not familiar what goes into making custom kernals, but whatever they did with android they were able to come up with a program that allowed you to use a slider to set your cpu speed and also allowed you to turn the ondemand scaling on or off. It looked like a slick program, whether it did anything other than display numbers I'm not sure, but it seemed to have many other people convinced that it worked.

I was suprised to see something like this on android before webos... i've always been quick to say that we have the best underground
    It would be great to be able to make my pre a bit faster than it is now!!!
    Thing to remember about the Droid's processor is that its factory UNDERclocked. It's capable of higher speeds if you want. The Pre processor isn't quite as fast, and has a lower top speed if clocked hard.
    Quote Originally Posted by fussnfeathers View Post
    Thing to remember about the Droid's processor is that its factory UNDERclocked. It's capable of higher speeds if you want. The Pre processor isn't quite as fast, and has a lower top speed if clocked hard.
    The Droid's processor is the same one used in the Pre. Pre is underclocked to 500 MHz, Droid is underclocked to 550 MHz.
    Yeah the Droid and the Pre both use the OMAP 3430.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
    Quote Originally Posted by KJBlauw View Post
    I was suprised to see something like this on android before webos... i've always been quick to say that we have the best underground
    yea but how long has the android os been available and how long has webos been available im sure by the time webos is out 2 years we'll be able to do a whole lot more with homebrew
    a custom ROM eould be awesum
  8.    #28  
    Quote Originally Posted by ryan9102 View Post
    yea but how long has the android os been available and how long has webos been available im sure by the time webos is out 2 years we'll be able to do a whole lot more with homebrew
    This is true, but i think things such as processor speed are phone specific, which means that we had about 4 months head start. I'm quite certain that we beat them to the 600mhz mark.

I wish i knew more about linux and programming so that i could help with this type of stuff, but i have every confidence in the guys who do know this stuff, and i'm pretty sure they are hinting at something like this coming out for webos soon.
    Global Posts
    389 Global Posts
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but when you overclock a chip, you need to keep it cool, or the hotter it runs the worse it performs. So how can overclocking a device without modifying it to keep it cool run better? I mean yea sure it would probably run great for a bit, but as soon as the chip starts to get hot, be prepared for some horrible performance.
    Sprint Palm Pre-
    Quote Originally Posted by GigaS27 View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but when you overclock a chip, you need to keep it cool, or the hotter it runs the worse it performs. So how can overclocking a device without modifying it to keep it cool run better? I mean yea sure it would probably run great for a bit, but as soon as the chip starts to get hot, be prepared for some horrible performance.
    This too. The Pre already gets terribly hot running at 600 MHz, I would hate to see how hot it gets running at say 750 MHz.
  11.    #31  
    Quote Originally Posted by GigaS27 View Post
    This is where testing would come in... its very possible that the small formfactor of the pre wont allow for much of an overclock due to overheating. But as with the droid i believe it has been shown to run reliably without any heat issues around the 800mhz level, and i had a friend who ran it at 1ghz without a heat issue.

The program in mention also allowed for easy access to decrease the processor speed, so even if heat is an issue something like this would allow for a temporary increase in speed.

On a different note,
    I also saw a program that allowed you to dictate the way your memory ran... on demonstration this program appeared to have drastic performance improvements (again on the droid)... This is a program that is probably much farther in the future, but I would think a slight memory adjustment + a slight cpu adjustment would be a killer 1-2 punch

Any devs know about memory tweaking for webos?

Edit: Sorry I just became that guy who doesn't search.. I did some searching and it appears that there has been some work done with memory tweaking. So i'll be back after some more reading
    Last edited by KJBlauw; 02/19/2010 at 01:34 PM. Reason: gotta search dummy
  12.    #32  
    so work is being done on a custom kernal to allow for more speed. any info about it can be found in this thread along with a couple of simple ways to boost your speed up to 550 or 600 mhz

http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...ple-patch.html
    Quote Originally Posted by netwrkr9 View Post
    Really? Market share is growing, Palm is selling more and more units, Verizon is now advertising and soon Palm products will be available on at&t. I remember not too long ago in 09 doomsayers were saying that Palm would not last till the end of the year. Palm will be around for many years to come, so relax chicken littles.
    Seriously..Palm has 1000 employees...they don't have to do iPhone numbers to be successful.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12