Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Before my palm pre, i had a nokia...and like all nokias, when texting, you usually get a letter/character count at the top right hand corner..just to let you know how many characters are left for that 1 text message...

so for example in the newer models you would have 1000 characters which would i think take up 4 of your free text messages (if you had free texts in your contract)...

so my question is,

1) in pre, how much can we write in the sms before we go into the 2nd text?...is it possible to find out anyway?

2) can we install more smileys/emoticons for the texting service?

thanks
    160 characters per text.
    Global Posts
    216 Global Posts
    there is a patch in preware that will display the character count for you.
  4.    #4  
    thankyou...macbook and mikevember for the super duper quick reply....
    also dunno if anyone noticed this but the messaging app will display a number when youve gone over the character count. see attached screenshot for example

Attached Images Attached Images
    Global Posts
    887 Global Posts
    Yeah...there's a patch for that!!

The SMS character count patch is a must-have from Preware!
    As mentioned.... in Preware or WOSQI there are patches for both they are called:

1) Character counter
    2) Smiley Faces in Symbol Box

I have them installed and they work great.

DT
    Global Posts
    20 Global Posts
    I wish I could find a way to get/add this to my pre. My computer Mac 10.4.11 isn't compatible for downloading any of the necessary software.
    Quote Originally Posted by sriedy View Post
    I wish I could find a way to get/add this to my pre. My computer Mac 10.4.11 isn't compatible for downloading any of the necessary software.
    All you need is webOS Quick Install, that is a Java app, so platform-independent
    Quote Originally Posted by deCorvett View Post
    All you need is webOS Quick Install, that is a Java app, so platform-independent
    actually some versions of mac clouded leopard arent compatable with the java version needed
    Global Posts
    20 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by deCorvett View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sketch42 View Post
    actually some versions of mac clouded leopard arent compatable with the java version needed
    I have tried every link possible. I can't figure it out for the life of me.
    find a library with free internet and no download restrictions and go to town, or call a buddy and borrow his computer for a bit.
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkTreo View Post
    As mentioned.... in Preware or WOSQI there are patches for both they are called:

1) Character counter
    2) Smiley Faces in Symbol Box

I have them installed and they work great.

DT
    The other Very useful Patch is "Enter Key for New Line", rather than Send
    Thought of the day :
    No sense being pessimistic, it probably wouldn't work anyway
    ....or realise the Koolaid is severely tainted and not use Macs...

I just went looking for character count in preware and it's not there, has it been renamed?
    Last edited by wekya; 06/02/2010 at 09:20 PM. Reason: more wentis
    M100=> 180 => 270 => 600 => 650 => 680 => 680 => 680 => Pre(GSM Pre minus)=>Galaxy S2 32GB
    Well, I was right about what I said in this thread:

forums.precentral.net/general-webos-chat/249301-webos-how-future-plays-part-i-e-preware-webos-qi-etc.html

Like I said in the post, I feel bad for the Pre owners who don't have a way to use Preware or WebOSQI. And, the main problems lies in the fact that the starter of this thread is asking for a basic feature that should not require a bunch of instructions and two different programs that can be used to obtain his request. Almost every dumb phone out there has the character counter in it, not to mention 30 of the other patches I have installed on my Pre. Others include 'match state to area code' 'dialpad tones off', 'timestamps' (for text messages, instead of just seeing last week and last month!

Anyway, I hope Palm gets the basics in their WebOS platform soon.
    I am equivalent to a man dammit.
    Global Posts
    197 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sketch42 View Post
    also dunno if anyone noticed this but the messaging app will display a number when youve gone over the character count. see attached screenshot for example

yup, I'm guessing they implemented that on 1.4 and up.
    I have tried every link possible. I can't figure it out for the life of me.
    Are you not able to install Preware using the executable?

Preware self installers

EDIT: Sorry for this reference, I completely ignored the fact that you were using a MAC.
    Last edited by NachoB; 06/04/2010 at 08:24 AM.
    If you found my post useful then please sign up for a Dropbox Account, I could use the extra 250mb of storage.

HOW TO: Zip/Unzip via Pre/Pixi using Terminal
    HOW TO: Modify DTMF audio (webOS 1.4.5 or earlier)
    Palm Pre wallpapers
    Quote Originally Posted by Trist View Post
    yup, I'm guessing they implemented that on 1.4 and up.
    That's actually been there for a very long time!
    Quote Originally Posted by wekya View Post
    I just went looking for character count in preware and it's not there, has it been renamed?
    It's there, it's called "Character Counter".

Open Preware, click on "List Everything", start typing "character" and the search should yield this patch.
    I'm using a MacBook Pro and could not make this work until I updated to Snow Leopard. Good luck.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast