Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    YouView the visual voicemail client for YouMail is now available!

Grab a copy today and once you experience visual voicemail you will wonder how you lived without it at all.

Featuring:

• Completely visual - see who called, from where, and even their picture.

• You can still dial in like before (if you feel the need!).

• Return the phone call with a simple tap of your finger.

• Flag voicemails that need followed up so you don’t forget.

• Save time – Play messages in any order! Tap to play or swipe to delete.

• Organize – Stay organized by placing voicemails into folders.

• Voice-To-Text Transcriptions - Know if a message truly is urgent in
      situations when you can't simply dial or answer your phone. Read and respond to voicemail messages while in a meeting, class, movie or other busy setting.

• Custom Greetings - Easily have different greetings for your sweetie, your friends, your co-workers and your boss. Choose from a library of free greetings or upload any sound file as a greeting.

• Share voicemails with family, friends, or colleagues via text or email.

• Automatically hang up on unwanted callers before they can leave a voicemail.

• Easily let a pesky ex or telemarketers think your number is no longer in service.

COMING SOON:

• Effortlessly sync your YouMail contacts with your phones contact list using Palm’s Synergy technology.

• Google Voice integration.

NOTES:

• Playback is currently limited to speaker. This is a Palm limitation.

• Contacts Synergy is still in beta.
    - Arcticus

Syntactix LLC

Syntactix Developer Forum

Applications: Pack 'n' Track, YouView, Jewels, Metrix Developer Tools, TripThat, Mobile Florist.

Follow development on Twitter

Please support developers by purchasing their app(s) or donating.
    is this only for google voice?
    Global Posts
    905 Global Posts
    No, Google Voice is not needed in any way. YouMail replaces your standard voicemail.

Many carriers use it as the default voice mail client.

Great free service, the YouView app for the Pre is shaping up to be a "must have" app for the Pre.
    Global Posts
    789 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GoTitans View Post
    Read the top line:

YouView the visual voicemail client for YouMail is now available!

It does mention google voice integration coming soon
    Global Posts
    164 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GoTitans View Post
    Actually it's made for YouMail and it's awesome.

Google Voice support is in the works.
    FrankenPre2!!!
    tried it last night, you have to set up all the settings and I did run into some bugs so I deleted it for the time being
    Global Posts
    905 Global Posts
    Quick Review... YouView webOS YouMail visual voice mail client. Stock, non patched etc Pre. (Note, I have a YouMail account that I have imported my contacts from my Google/Facebook email accounts to.

Downloaded the YouView app from the app cat, launched app, entered my, (Pre-Sprint) phone number and YouMail PIN number.

Within 3 seconds my YouMail voice mails loaded complete w/ all contact info/pics.

I then turned on contact syncing with the YouMail site - the 54 contacts I had imported to the YouView site, synced with the YouView app in 12-20 seconds. ;-) - (still no contact pics, though - although, most of the contacts I imported into the YouMail site have pics.

However, when I get a voice mail from someone who is listed in my YouMail contacts list, the Pic shows up in all notifications, (dashboard/email), as well as the youView client. ...and look great BTW!

Tested the app by calling my Pre from my landline and left short message - the text alert arrived within 5 secs. Followed by the YouView dashboard notification 3 mins later. Perfect.

Without loading YouView, I repeated the test using another land line, (home office line,), to see how YouView handled multiple dashboard notifications, the text alert was instant, followed by a 2nd. dashboard notification within 2-3 mins.

On the 2nd. notification, the dashboard notice does not update if the phone is asleep, (my Pre was on a TouchStone, and the dashboard is always visible), as soon as I unlocked the Pre, the notification updated to show 2 voice mails had been received. But, although the notification scrolled through the two contacts, only the 1st. displayed the contact info and pic. correctly, when it rotated to the 2nd. one, it was blank.

Once I launched YouView, by tapping the dashboard notification, new voice mails were there and played perfectly through the speaker at low volume, (new users you will need to hold the speaker to your ear to hear the messages, although, this issue should be fixed with the 1.4 webOS update.)

Nice first release. Some of my friends want to know how I can afford a personal aide to answer my calls, and how she knows their name! ;-)

I was going to put the YouView icon on my launcher, but there is no need do do that due to the flexibility of the text/email/dashboard alerts. ;-)
    Last edited by ToddK; 02/16/2010 at 08:56 AM.
    Global Posts
    905 Global Posts
    update:

The Smart greeting feature is great! It greets the caller by name. (You can also record personal greetings for each of your contacts as well, at the YouMail website)

...for example; "Hi -CallersName-, Todd can't come to the phone right now, please leave a message." ...beep.

Short, to the point, and best of all, none of that, "For more options press...." or, "to leave a call-back number press..."

I hate that crap, I think it's one of the big reasons voice mail is dying. Another reason to love YouView / YouMail.
    Global Posts
    164 Global Posts
    Nice review Todd.
    FrankenPre2!!!
    Global Posts
    905 Global Posts
    Thanks Jim,

I'm surprised how much I like this app, now. Once I got my contacts imported into the YouMail site, the app really started to shine.

I used to hate voice mail, but I think if all voice mail worked like this, we would all like it a lot more.
    Count me as another big Youview and Youmail fan.

Something for those just looking into this for the first time who have not been reading the beta thread:

Youmail is the company that actually handles your voicemail. You have to sign up for an account at Youmail (use conditional call forwarding to get your calls to Youmail, the process is very easy). They are NOT the same as the company making Youview (although they play nice with each other). You can sign up for Youmail without using Youview and get your voicemail notifications by SMS or email. There are a lot of great answering options and other cool toys on the Youmail site.

Youview takes the Youmail service to a higher level on the Pre. No great way to adequatly describe how good it is, just need to try it out for yourself. The small price for the Youview app is well worth it for me, although, this SHOULD be the kind of thing that is included in a phone like the Pre.

Last item. While Youmail is free, if you want your voicemails transcribed, there is a charge for that. Why pay for transcriptions on Youmail when google does it for free? Well several reasons: 1) the Youmail transcriptions are actually readable, they are very very good. 2)the way they work with Youview is incredible 3)Google voicemail stopped working (not just the transcripton but the whole service) for a whole lot of people at the first of the year 4) Privacy. You DO know that Google has filed for a patent for a system that automatically reads your voicemails in order to target ads and other services to you and that the TOS allows them to do that don't you?????? Google pays for all of their "free" services by looking at your personal data, web searches, emails and so on and sending you ads based on all of that. Many privacy people are freaking out about Google keeping a written record of your phone calls. Reading Youmail's process and TOS, I'm not worried about any of that with them.
    Global Posts
    905 Global Posts
    Re: privacy,

Although, I have no desire for a voice mail transcription service, (I like the way YouView sends them to my BlueAnt Q1 headset!), it's important to note that the YouMail transcription service that is fee based, is so good, because actual humans are listening to, and transcribing, the voice mail messages. Google's, (lousy, but free), service was/is/will be, an automated speech to text, software based program.

Now, I don't think it's a huge issue if someone is listening to and transcribing your messages, but I sure know there are many of you who do! ;-)

...the more you know....
    Quote Originally Posted by ToddK View Post
    Re: privacy,

Although, I have no desire for a voice mail transcription service, (I like the way YouView sends them to my BlueAnt Q1 headset!), it's important to note that the YouMail transcription service that is fee based, is so good, because actual humans are listening to, and transcribing, the voice mail messages. Google's, (lousy, but free), service was/is/will be, an automated speech to text, software based program.

Now, I don't think it's a huge issue if someone is listening to and transcribing your messages, but I sure know there are many of you who do! ;-)

...the more you know....

With Google, they say that the voicemail transcription "can" and "may" be checked by humans (although its hard to believe any of the one's I got actually were!). Whats worrisome is that the TOS gives them enough room to read and use the transcriptions to provide you with "information" about "services" and the like.

Youmail's voicemail transcription is handled as follows (from their website):

YouMail gets nearly perfect transcriptions every time by having "humans in the loop":
    1. We send the audio to a transcription partner.
    2. The partner usually uses a machine to transcribe it.
    3. Professional transcribers use that as a starting point to get a very accurate transcription.
    Think of this as having a personal secretary handling and transcribing your messages.
    [/B]
    Our partners vary in exactly how they work:
    • Some score the automated transcription and only fix up the ones that score poorly.
    • Some send pieces of the message to different transcribers and then piece the result back together.

Your privacy is ensured in several ways.
    1. The transcribers only have an audio file (no other information about you)
    2. Voicemails are randomized, so it's extremely rare the same transcriber gets more than one of your voicemails.
    3. All transcribers have signed agreements to preserve privacy with material penalties for violating it, similar to what is used in the medical industry to transcribe medical records.
    4. The transcribers never know if the audio message is real or a joke. (Hi Barack, this is Michelle calling and boy am I mad...)
    Also, a great Youmail option that I use is having Youmail automatically TELL whoever calls to "speak clearly as the message is being transcribed." That is a good protection from anybody that might get mad at the process as they was warned!

Lastly, there are two options on getting the transcriptions: "speedy" or "more accurate" I'm guessing that the speedy option does not go through the human -- or at least not so much. It's what I have chosen and even with the "speedy delivery" setting the transcription is very good.
    Last edited by midmofan; 02/16/2010 at 11:57 AM.
    sorry to ask, but is there a link to a free beta version.. it looks like the link in the first post is showing 3.99.. any one have the .ipk file?
    Quote Originally Posted by BiG *** View Post
    sorry to ask, but is there a link to a free beta version.. it looks like the link in the first post is showing 3.99.. any one have the .ipk file?
    Beta version is over now, but the beta has been going on for a few months already until recently. and plus the beta was not 1.4 compatible. trust me dude 3.99 is nothing at the value that this app brings with it.
    I used the beta for a long time, now I have to pay? dont seem right.....
    This APP is well worth the money!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by kebjen View Post
    This APP is well worth the money!!!
    I agree, but why is it that the other OS' get it free: Visual Voicemail Plus
    www.lgwebos.com user to user support.
    that's not a basis for argment.

the answer to your concern is buy and use a different phone. Webos is not for you
    Quote Originally Posted by trim81 View Post
    that's not a basis for argment.

the answer to your concern is buy and use a different phone. Webos is not for you
    LOL...funny man. Since when would you be the one to dictate who webos is for. You would think with your high post count, you would be embarassed with an answer like that.

I guess your post count is inflated with useless answers.....too much.

Just stating an observation off that site....that was all....
    www.lgwebos.com user to user support.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast