Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 63
  1. Helidos's Avatar
    Posts
    791 Posts
    Global Posts
    810 Global Posts
    #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by wickcity View Post
    I ask him whats up with the lack of sales. He replied, the reps have no interest whatsoever in "pushing" it.
    And with good reason why push a phone that is likely going to be return for lack of features, crappy hardware etc?

    Like titansluvpre said the average smart phone user will bring it home and go oh **** no video this phone sucks, or go to work and play look at my cool new phone and get smashed by iphone / android users showing off apps, missing features that webOS is missing and all they got is look I can card view multitask.

    They will simply return it and pick up another phone. Which wastes the customers time, along with a device which now is not resell able. So they simple push the phone they know the customer will actually enjoy and keep past the 30 day mark.
  2. Gelst's Avatar
    Posts
    31 Posts
    Global Posts
    221 Global Posts
    #22  
    Hey if Jack Bauer endorses a Palm Pre then it's a kick *** phone !
  3. #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by helidos View Post
    And with good reason why push a phone that is likely going to be return for lack of features, crappy hardware etc?

    Like titansluvpre said the average smart phone user will bring it home and go oh **** no video this phone sucks, or go to work and play look at my cool new phone and get smashed by iphone / android users showing off apps, missing features that webOS is missing and all they got is look I can card view multitask.

    They will simply return it and pick up another phone. Which wastes the customers time, along with a device which now is not resell able. So they simple push the phone they know the customer will actually enjoy and keep past the 30 day mark.
    That is BS. Reps push crappy phones on people all of the time. I had a Droid, and that phone is by no means perfect or problem free. The reason Verizon reps are not pushing it is because they have received almost no training on the device. It's hard to push a phone you know nothing about. I was talking to a VZW rep yesterday in the store about my pre, and he knew nothing about synergy, gaming, cards, ect. In contrast, just about every rep in my VZW store carries a Droid, so they know thoses phones quite well. The reps are pusing the droid so hard because that is what Verizon wants them to do.
  4. #24  
    Crazy, CRAZY question here:

    Is it possible that this phone has gotten EXACTLY the momentum and exposure it deserves given hardware issues persisting across two carriers/builds, still nascent app lineup, and comically ineffective advertising by Palm themselves?
  5. #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    Crazy, CRAZY question here:

    Is it possible that this phone has gotten EXACTLY the momentum and exposure it deserves given hardware issues persisting across two carriers/builds, still nascent app lineup, and comically ineffective advertising by Palm themselves?
    Bad marketing at launch is a big reason. As I said earlier, if this phone launches on Verizon last June, it would have got a huge marketing push, and would have sold a lot more. Neither Sprint or Palm were in a position to dump millions and millions into a huge marketing campagin. Verizon does as we saw with the Droid push. The droid has its own hardware and software issues, so I don't think that is as big a factor as we think, because most people are not as picky as the people on these forums.
  6. #26  
    Always good to blame the people who have received crap phones for the bad decisions made by Palm regarding the advertising of their product. Two thumbs down for that bit of nonsense OP. Honestly, Palm has almost ZERO media presence. As an example, I look at media sites and all I see is iPhone this, Apple that, Droid something else, Android the other. No media presence means no one knows who the heck you are.

    Don't blame the people calling Palm on the questionable build quality of the Pre. Other phones have build issues and still manage to capture the imagination of the media. It's not the customer's fault that Palm is losing out to their competitors. It's not the customer's fault that Palm doesn't know how to market their own phone.
  7. Helidos's Avatar
    Posts
    791 Posts
    Global Posts
    810 Global Posts
    #27  
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisV79 View Post
    That is BS. Reps push crappy phones on people all of the time. I had a Droid, and that phone is by no means perfect or problem free. The reason Verizon reps are not pushing it is because they have received almost no training on the device. It's hard to push a phone you know nothing about. I was talking to a VZW rep yesterday in the store about my pre, and he knew nothing about synergy, gaming, cards, ect. In contrast, just about every rep in my VZW store carries a Droid, so they know thoses phones quite well. The reps are pusing the droid so hard because that is what Verizon wants them to do.
    Well the rep in our stores down here in Florida know plenty the only reason I ventured in the store in the first place was to see how the build quality of the plus. Went to 2 different store and both knew what the pre could do and what it could not do.

    I even hung around bsing with one of the reps about preware, patches etc, for about an hour and he flat out told me they do not push the pre due to features missing and hardware issues.

    I saw it happen with my own eyes the guy asked about the pre and was told it does not shot video, the guy went really? like he was shocked.. That alone stopped him from even playing with it. He walked out with an Eris.
  8. #28  
    Why does everyone think more money would have made a difference? That just would've made bad ads run more.

    If it would've launched on Verizon of course it would've sold more...they were as starved for a touchscreen smartphone as Sprint was. But if the only way this phone can sell is in a vacuum in the absence of competition, then it truly does deserve its current standing.
  9. #29  
    Verizon i ALL Droid and nothing else really.
    "Life is Hard... it's harder if your stupid"
    - John Wayne
  10. Vizi's Avatar
    Posts
    148 Posts
    Global Posts
    261 Global Posts
    #30  
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    Crazy, CRAZY question here:

    Is it possible that this phone has gotten EXACTLY the momentum and exposure it deserves given hardware issues persisting across two carriers/builds, still nascent app lineup, and comically ineffective advertising by Palm themselves?
    Yes. While I see the potential and have had minimal problems with the hardware, I understand why when placed next to one of the existing industry leaders, a customer will choose the other. Palms advertising department should be fired. There have been NO effective commercials to date. And if they are counting on any of the carriers to pick up the ball, they are foolish. Google and Apple's money is too far reaching to let a little thing like in-house competitive marketing get in the way of their net sales.

    So yes, with the abysmal marketing campaign and lack of "cool" apps, Palm is exactly where they have positioned themselves. Effective marketing would have overshadowed many the Pre's shortcomings enough to place it in a stronger position. For the best example of this look at the Droid or even the iPhone to a certain extent (although the iPhones App Catalog is a juggernaut).
  11. #31  
    I don't blame THIS community. I do blame Palm and the carriers for weak support/advertising. More people should know what this phone can do. Ads accomplish much of that but most of them failed to highlight the Pre's best features.

    I also think that the floor salespeople aren't being sold on WebOS devices. They're the ones who who recommend phones or poo-poo them. Incentivize (sp?) these people. Let them buy the phone at launch. That seems like a no-brainer, to me.

    Props to the poster on the first page who pointed out Android's progression and how it's similar to the Pre's.
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
  12. kd0axs's Avatar
    Posts
    282 Posts
    Global Posts
    751 Global Posts
    #32  
    It all comes down to one word:

    MARKETING

    Palm needs to advertise if they want to sell the Pre/Pixi. That's the only way WebOS is going to get more exposure. They can't rely on the carriers to sell for them.

    When most people go looking for a new phone, they just walk into the store and ask a rep what they recommend. They just assume that because someone works there, they know everything about every phone when that couldn't be farther than the truth. Is someone goes into a Verizon store and asks for a recommendation, they are going to walk out with a Droid.

    Palm needs to get people's attention before they go looking for a new phone. They need people to walk into the store and say "I want a Palm Pre".
  13. urkel's Avatar
    Posts
    944 Posts
    Global Posts
    946 Global Posts
    #33  
    Quote Originally Posted by Addie_Goodvibes View Post
    After 7 months of the Pre, & reading all the coverage forum posts reviews ect.. I can't help but think the user community & the Media are somewhat if not mostly responsible for the Pre's lack of success.
    That assessment is WAY off. When Palm stole the show at CES09 then they had nothing but momentum. And even at release then both the media and intelligent consumers had nothing but praise for WebOS and their very forward thinking approach to the smartphone market. Palm had the mindshare necessary to be a gigantic hit... And then:

    - Hardware proved to be incredibly crappy and insufficient for a very ambitious OS.
    - Software was promising but failed to get quick updates which resulted in Palm playing catch-up rather than leading the way
    - Sprint exclusivity went too long. Both Palm and Sprint were struggling and tying one sinking ship to another doesn't make it float.

    To blame the users and media for Palms fai,ures is ridiculous. We didn't make the phone, we only bought it.
  14. #34  
    I walked into three different Verizon authorized retailers and not one of them could tell me anything about the Pre plus other than the basics listed on the spec sheet tacked under the non working display phone. Like it or not but most people get there phones from authorized retailers instead of actual stores. We here all the hype about bad build quality but I don't see anything that makes the Pre stand out as particularly bad when compared to known issues with other phones, especially ones with moving parts. We all tend to forget that if the build issues were really as severe as most people on here believe they are then Palm is doomed anyway. A great OS cannot make up for horrible hardware. Replacing your phone 5 times is NOT the norm with the Pre, contrary to the word on Precentral. The same demographic that patches, hacks, and what have you is the same demographic that returns a phone for a slight wobble and complains about a crappy build on an internet forum. Reality folks is that Palm hasn't captured the attention of the world because other people are better at capturing attention, not necessarily better at putting out better products.

    As with most this is all strictly IMHO.
  15. #35  
    Quote Originally Posted by Urkel View Post
    - Software was promising but failed to get quick updates which resulted in Palm playing catch-up rather than leading the way
    - Sprint exclusivity went too long. Both Palm and Sprint were sinking ships so neither one helped out the other.

    Failed to get quick updates? There have been three Android updates since the G1 hit shelves in the tail end of 08. Blackberry OS rarely updates aside from differentiating it's models. If Palm has done anything incredibly well it's releasing a steady stream of OTA updates to the consumers.

    To call Sprint a sinking ship is a bit harsh, considering as you say it had no help from Palm and a pretty anemic phone line up in general Sprint has started to turn the corner which says alot IMHO. Palm was a sinking ship, but instead of patching the holes (as Sprint did) Palm essentially used the scraps of there sinking vessel to build another one altogether.


    Man I love boat metaphors
  16. shaw_2112's Avatar
    Posts
    40 Posts
    Global Posts
    52 Global Posts
    #36  
    Just going to throw my .02 in here. I almost passed up the Pre because of a couple of reasons 1. My previous experience with the Treo. Didn't care for the phone or the OS. 2. No Video. I wanted a multimedia phone, I like surfing the web, taking pics and video, listening to music etc. Not having that option was almost a deal breaker until I started researching and found out that it's just a software update and not a hardware issue. I w as actually rather impressed to find out the hardware is capable of HD and 12MP resolution. 3. Last reason, I never even heard of it until I started searching for a new phone. Marketing is definitely non-existant where this phone is concerned.
  17. #37  
    Palm released the Pixi format for the Blackberry wantabe's, I guess they should release at big glass slab format for all of the Iphone wantabe's.
  18. #38  
    Quote Originally Posted by xome1983 View Post
    I walked into three different Verizon authorized retailers and not one of them could tell me anything about the Pre plus other than the basics listed on the spec sheet tacked under the non working display phone. Like it or not but most people get there phones from authorized retailers instead of actual stores. We here all the hype about bad build quality but I don't see anything that makes the Pre stand out as particularly bad when compared to known issues with other phones, especially ones with moving parts. We all tend to forget that if the build issues were really as severe as most people on here believe they are then Palm is doomed anyway. A great OS cannot make up for horrible hardware. Replacing your phone 5 times is NOT the norm with the Pre, contrary to the word on Precentral. The same demographic that patches, hacks, and what have you is the same demographic that returns a phone for a slight wobble and complains about a crappy build on an internet forum. Reality folks is that Palm hasn't captured the attention of the world because other people are better at capturing attention, not necessarily better at putting out better products.

    As with most this is all strictly IMHO.
    DING, DING, DING. My friend, you have posted prolly the most logical, reasonable, real world post seen on this not so real world and logical forum. This post should be read over and over by the folks creating threads like this one.

    It all comes down to marketing and only now 9 months after the phone has been out has the advertising looked effective. The P|C demo is not the majority of buyers.
    Are you trying to hurt me?
  19. #39  
    I have not had to replace my phone that I've now had since late August. If I do have to replace it, it'll be because I dropped it like 7 times! Dropped it this morning getting out my car as a matter, and this phone is still going very strong!
    Forums unfortunatley bring out complainers, but!, this is a great site/forum, don't get me wrong!
    The Pre name speaks for itself. This phone is not done... I can almost guarantee though, once the 1.4 comes out and a bit more of the app catalog is built up, you will see some crazy promotions going on! Then it will have the other basics these other phones have... Video is, amongst other things, like it or not, a big deal.
  20. #40  
    Quote Originally Posted by JAHLuv7 View Post
    Once the 1.4 comes out and a bit more of the app catalog is built up, you will see some crazy promotions going on! Then it will have the other basics these other phones have... Video is, amongst other things, like it or not, a big deal.
    You can't be serious. The last mobile device I saw that had video recording as a prominent part of its advertising was the iPod Nano. I don't think Palm wants to highlight that it took this long to add that feature. Companies usually advertise things that make them different (e.g. Droid advertising multitasking, universal search, Google Nav, etc.) rather than things that make them the exact same (No Android handset commercial dwells on "apps" for more than a sentence or two. In fact, they don't dwell on video recording at all).

    But I guess in Palm's case, they don't advertise either aspect.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions