Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 24
  1.    #1  
    I am always on the go and never within local calling, that's why I have a long distance plan built into my package. However, all of my phone numbers are stored as 10 digit numbers (XXX) XXX-XXXX. On my Palm Pro, there was an option to add a 1 to all outgoing numbers. Can't find it on the Palm Pre. All I can find is a place for pre-dialing numbers for 4, 5, 6, and 7 digits... but where is 10? Any suggestions? I'm getting really tired of listening to the warning message that the number I'm calling will be long distance every time I make a call. Thanks.
  2. #2  
    Quote Originally Posted by Pre4Michael View Post
    I am always on the go and never within local calling, that's why I have a long distance plan built into my package. However, all of my phone numbers are stored as 10 digit numbers (XXX) XXX-XXXX. On my Palm Pro, there was an option to add a 1 to all outgoing numbers. Can't find it on the Palm Pre. All I can find is a place for pre-dialing numbers for 4, 5, 6, and 7 digits... but where is 10? Any suggestions? I'm getting really tired of listening to the warning message that the number I'm calling will be long distance every time I make a call. Thanks.
    What do you mean when you say you "have long distance built into" your plan? Do you mean you have a "Nationwide" calling plan, or do you have some local only plan with a long distance feature added on? I ask this because you don't have to dial 1 when calling long distance from a cell phone, and haven't for years. You only need to dial the 10 digits(area code + 7 digit number). Or, let me say that you shouldn't have to dial 1 unless you are on some kind of restrictive plan. We need more info to diagnose.
  3. kd0axs's Avatar
    Posts
    282 Posts
    Global Posts
    751 Global Posts
    #3  
    Why not just save the numbers in your contacts like this: 1 (XXX) XXX-XXXX
  4. kd0axs's Avatar
    Posts
    282 Posts
    Global Posts
    751 Global Posts
    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by JEMellon66 View Post
    What do you mean when you say you "have long distance built into" your plan? Do you mean you have a "Nationwide" calling plan, or do you have some local only plan with a long distance feature added on? I ask this because you don't have to dial 1 when calling long distance from a cell phone, and haven't for years. You only need to dial the 10 digits(area code + 7 digit number). Or, let me say that you shouldn't have to dial 1 unless you are on some kind of restrictive plan. We need more info to diagnose.
    I sometimes get the "you must dial 1" recording when roaming.
  5. enrik67's Avatar
    Posts
    10 Posts
    Global Posts
    12 Global Posts
    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by kd0axs View Post
    Why not just save the numbers in your contacts like this: 1 (XXX) XXX-XXXX
    I saved all mine that way, works goon even on local calls. That's the way to do it.
  6. #6  
    On mobile phones the 1 is not required for calling outside of your home calling area. That is a holdover from landlines which still require it. I haven't heard of having to prepend a 1 on a mobile phone for years.
    Kevin
    Retail Communications Consultant
    Sprint Corporate Retail Store (Advanced Exchange)
    HTC Mogul - Palm Treo 800w - RIM Blackberry Curve 8350i - HTC Touch Pro - Palm Pre - HTC Hero w/2.1

    Any mis-spellings or grammatical errors in the above statement are intentional; they are placed there for the enjoyment of those who like to point them out. Above post is based on my personal opinion and knowledge, it is not an official position on behalf of Sprint Nextel. Enjoy. :-)
  7. #7  
    Why don't you try my iDialPlan? It does a lot more and might look like an overkill for now. The support for North American numbers is implemented to support visitors.
    Since I am not very well informed on requirements for USA numbers, iDP now simply inserts a 1 for 10 digit numbers or (1 area code) for 7 digit numbers. However, I will implement feedback on when to dial what should that be required in some areas.
  8. #8  
    I have a question, If i have a number saved in my contacts with the 1 (XXX) XXX-XXXX Can i still send a text message? Because On my past cell phones i dont think i would send a text if i sent it in that format. The reason i ask is because i have my Facebook in synergy and people who save their numbers on facebook sometimes have it in this format 1 (XXX) XXX-XXXX
  9. #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by Cinnabarcorp View Post
    I have a question, If i have a number saved in my contacts with the 1 (XXX) XXX-XXXX Can i still send a text message? Because On my past cell phones i dont think i would send a text if i sent it in that format. The reason i ask is because i have my Facebook in synergy and people who save their numbers on facebook sometimes have it in this format 1 (XXX) XXX-XXXX

    Yes you can. I have all of my numbers saved with the "1" prefix and I am capable of texting everyone.
  10.    #10  
    Thanks for all the replies. I live in Canada. Not sure how much that differs from the US, but with my phone and plan (which is a plan with long distance included in my minutes) a "local" number is dictated by where you are from. I can call a particular number while in Montreal (for example) and it will be local (ie: no "1" required). But to call Toronto is long distance and does require a "1". If I don't dial a "1" when calling Toronto, then a message comes on (in english first and then french) to remind me that this is actually a long distance call before it connects it. Annoying. If I was to go to Toronto, then that number in Toronto would now be considered a local call, whereas calling Montreal would now require a "1".

    I have already thought about storing all the numbers as 11 digit numbers, however between 508 contacts in Outlook and another 300 in facebook that is a lot of work. Again, with the Palm Pro I had before, there was a simple check box under dialing preferences to add a "1" in front of all 10 digit numbers. That solved the problem... but there is none for the Pre.

    I think it would be a really good patch for someone to modify the "Dialing Shortcuts" menu item under phone preferences to include "When I dial" 10 DIGITS "use this dialing prefix". It's already there for 4, 5, 6, and 7 digits.
  11. #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by Pre4Michael View Post
    .............. Again, with the Palm Pro I had before, there was a simple check box under dialing preferences to add a "1" in front of all 10 digit numbers. That solved the problem... but there is none for the Pre...............
    If adding a 1 is all that is needed, then iDialPlan will do the trick. Just fill out the wizard, and make the abroad and home setting the same...

    Quote Originally Posted by Pre4Michael View Post
    ........................I think it would be a really good patch for someone to modify the "Dialing Shortcuts" menu item under phone preferences to include "When I dial" 10 DIGITS "use this dialing prefix". It's already there for 4, 5, 6, and 7 digits.
    That's how I started. European numbers, however, need a much more elaborate scheme. So now iDP might be an overkill for North America, but it does work for adding a one.
    Bt.w. iDP also helps to save money by providing automatic call-through support (calling cards) for making international cell calls out of Canada for example.
  12.    #12  
    Where can I find iDialPlan? I've searched for it without success. Would you be so kind as to provide a link for me. Thanks.
  13. #13  
    The download thread is on the homebrew forum. The discussion thread is on the GSM forum. Integration with the Pre standard dialer can only be achieved by installing both the App and the patch. For trying or occasional use, installation of the App is enough, it has a simple internal dialer for that purpose.
    Since iDialPLan is not yet in a catalog, it's probably best to download the App (and the patch if needed) to a PC and then install it through WebOS Quick Install.
    Last edited by Dick99999; 02/19/2010 at 12:47 PM. Reason: if needed not is needed
  14.    #14  
    I found the page you suggested above, but the link for the app doesn't seem to work anymore.
  15. #15  
    Really sorry about that and thanks for letting me know. I corrected the links, they should work now.
  16. BDoG76's Avatar
    Posts
    132 Posts
    Global Posts
    137 Global Posts
    #16  
    I too am missing the prefix option on this phone. Sometimes I get a call from a random number. I don't answer random number so I used to be able to prefix any number in my contacts or calls list with *67 to block my number. I definitely need the prefix option... Don't understand why it's not there.
  17. #17  
    Had not thought about that usage and I'd really appreciate input for N.A. dialing requirements. Since iDP separates & optimizes national and international calls, you could set the national access (normally 1 in N.A.) to *67 or *671 depending on what is needed for LD national access.

    If you'd try 'Test expressions' in the advanced section of iDialPlan, you can see what will be substituted for some 10 test cases. The cases are a kind of country specific, however, some test cases might make no sense in a specific country.

    The Services Provider prefixes SP1 and SP2 are only used for international calls, and thus cannot be used for adding *67.
    Last edited by Dick99999; 03/22/2010 at 04:15 AM. Reason: *67
  18. #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by Pre4Michael View Post
    I am always on the go and never within local calling, that's why I have a long distance plan built into my package. However, all of my phone numbers are stored as 10 digit numbers (XXX) XXX-XXXX. On my Palm Pro, there was an option to add a 1 to all outgoing numbers. Can't find it on the Palm Pre. All I can find is a place for pre-dialing numbers for 4, 5, 6, and 7 digits... but where is 10? Any suggestions? I'm getting really tired of listening to the warning message that the number I'm calling will be long distance every time I make a call. Thanks.
    I hope you are able to find a solution for your problem, I did want to inform you that we have taken this feedback and forwarded this to our engineering department for review and possible consideration for a future webOS update.

    I can't state or even imagine why it wasn't there before unless it just wasn't thought of or slipped someone's mind.

    If an update does come out that addresses this issue I will be sure to update this thread.
    Ex HP webOS Tech Support

    5Ts: Five ways to get your webOS tablet working again: http://www.hpwebos.com/5Ts

    6Ts: Six ways to get your webOS phone working again: http://www.hpwebos.com/6Ts
  19. #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by kd0axs View Post
    I sometimes get the "you must dial 1" recording when roaming.
    Is this in Canada (like Pre4Michael's report) or USA? given:
    Quote Originally Posted by halcyoncmdr View Post
    On mobile phones the 1 is not required for calling outside of your home calling area. That is a holdover from landlines which still require it. I haven't heard of having to prepend a 1 on a mobile phone for years.
    My real question is, if the 1 is indeed sometimes required for comfort, are there also any 'cost' advantages (like counting as a LD minute while it's really a local call) if one leaves the 1 off, or one dials with a 1. That would be a reason why just adding a 1 might not be the solution.

    Quote Originally Posted by HardBeatZ View Post
    .............I can't state or even imagine why it wasn't there before unless it just wasn't thought of or slipped someone's mind.........................
  20. BDoG76's Avatar
    Posts
    132 Posts
    Global Posts
    137 Global Posts
    #20  
    I do hope this issue is addresses. Prefixing number, whether in my comtacts or in the phone apps calls list is a BASIC function and is capable on even the "dumb" phones I used to have...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions