Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Global Posts
    47 Global Posts
    I am in a predicament, I love the pre plus (best phone out in my opinion), but this keyboard is murdering my emails and texting. I am on my second one and my wife is on her second pre plus as well. Both have suffered from the double letter typing as well as missing letter inputs as well. What worries me is that Verizon/Palm might hold off the 1.4 update until most of us (who hope a fix will be in the software) are outside of our 30 day return period.
    I actually haven't heard of the issue coming up. Are you saying when you create an email or text every letter is done twice or is this random?

What troubleshooting steps have you done to try to resolve the issue?

Is it easily reproduced?

Tried restarting the device?

Does the keys feeling like they are "sticking"?

Is it all keys or only certain keys?
    Ex HP webOS Tech Support

5Ts: Five ways to get your webOS tablet working again: http://www.hpwebos.com/5Ts

6Ts: Six ways to get your webOS phone working again: http://www.hpwebos.com/6Ts
    This is true. I have the same issue, but just though I was heavy handed.
    I've noticed the same issue, and have started being more definite and firm with my key presses. It's slower, but less prone to error. I'm not getting rid of the phone (sliced my box apart for the rebate), so I'm really hoping it's addressable in software.
    Global Posts
    47 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by HardBeatZ View Post
    I actually haven't heard of the issue coming up. Are you saying when you create an email or text every letter is done twice or is this random?

What troubleshooting steps have you done to try to resolve the issue?

Is it easily reproduced?

Tried restarting the device?

Does the keys feeling like they are "sticking"?

Is it all keys or only certain keys?
    It happens with text and email most noticeably (although I have been able to replicate it with standard search entry) and involves sporadic duplications with certain keys being more proned (e, g, d, l and i on my Pre).

It is very easily reproduced as it was with our last Pre Plus', but at this point exchanging them seems futile as we are 4 for 4 with flawed keyboards.

The physical keybaord click feels clean and there is not a sticking action with the keys. Sitting here redundantly pressing the same key continuously will produce 3 results (non type, double type, and correct type) within 10 presses.
    ahh, take back to Verizon and have them check it out to see if it is a defective phone?
    I would be interested if other Verizon users are experiencing this issue.

Not to offset or diminish your issue at all, but I want to make sure there actually is an issue with the operating system.
    Ex HP webOS Tech Support

5Ts: Five ways to get your webOS tablet working again: http://www.hpwebos.com/5Ts

6Ts: Six ways to get your webOS phone working again: http://www.hpwebos.com/6Ts
    I had the same issue with the store display at the Verizon store.
    Sprint Pre + Seidio super battery
    I have the issue about once per email/text. I figured I just needed to get used to the new keyboard. Maybe not?

It's not the end of the world, and if Palm's autocorrect actually caught these it would be no biggie whatsoever.
    Global Posts
    47 Global Posts
    I searched and found the following threads:

forums.precentral.net/palm-pre/228224-keyboard-types-some-letters-twice-when-only-pressing-once-only-messaging.html

forums.precentral.net/palm-pre/230198-pre-sticky-keys-verizon-only.html

forums.precentral.net/palm-pre/228082-keyboard-issue-pre-plus.html

Seems like we are not alone, but with only 50 or so complaints I don't think that concluding it to be a product wide issue is fair to Palm.
    I have it too on 2 of 2 Pre Plus'.
    I have this problem, too. It seems to be random though. Only happens about 2-3 times a day.
    Global Posts
    96 Global Posts
    I have the same problem on a 1 week old Verizon Pre+. No matter how carefully I type the problem is occurring.
    My Pre Plus stopped working this weekend so I returned it to Best Buy for an Exchange. The new one so far doesn't have the double type problem. My old one would double type the letter i and e about 90% of the time.
    Global Posts
    374 Global Posts
    I've had a Sprint Pre since launch day and never had this problem until the last month or so. At first it was just the O key, but now the T key does it sometimes too. It's not all the time, but just occasionally. I assumed it was a hardware issue since it didn't do this for the first 6-7 months.
    same with reidme, never had it before, and im on my release date pre, so this might be an update issue. only happens a couple times a day i guess. its not THAT annoying, but could be if the occurence picks up
    Global Posts
    81 Global Posts
    I switched from a Palm Pre on Sprint to a Palm Pre Plus on Verizon. Never had any issues with double keys at all on the original Pre, noticed it immediately with the Pre Plus. There definitely are certain keys that act up (especially "e"), and pressing the key very firmly, rocking my finger back and forth seems to temporarily lessen the problem. I do suspect it's something that could be dealt with by a future firmware update, so I'm going to wait and see if 1.4 addresses the issue.

I'm not sure what to do otherwise, because frankly the issue makes the physical keyboard just as frustrating (if not more so) than a virtual keyboard. The slider keyboard is a key selling point for the Pre Plus, they really ought to have dealt with this before shipping the device.
    Global Posts
    47 Global Posts
    I think what appears to be happening is the new keyboard on the Pre + seems to be the issue. Now whether or not that can be fixed via firmware update could be the decider for a lot of us.

Quote Originally Posted by justen View Post
    I'm not sure what to do otherwise, because frankly the issue makes the physical keyboard just as frustrating (if not more so) than a virtual keyboard. The slider keyboard is a key selling point for the Pre Plus, they really ought to have dealt with this before shipping the device.

I got the Pre + after going through a BlackBerry (for which I loved the keyboard, hated the screen), and a Droid (loved the screen, hated the keyboard). In my opinion the Pre + keyboard could be just as fast as the BB, but ends up slower after one goes through and corrects the typing mistakes.
    I had this happen on 3 of my 5 Pre's. One of which the keyboard died completely. Also on Verizon.
    my c button sticks a lot.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast