Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Global Posts
    177 Global Posts
    I have a pre+ and have not had this issue. Perhaps there is an epidemic of fat thumbs afoot?
    Quote Originally Posted by danib62 View Post
    I have a pre+ and have not had this issue. Perhaps there is an epidemic of fat thumbs afoot?
    No, it's a hardware defect. And it's actually quite opposite of what you're saying, as you have to press really hard for certain numbers/letters to go through. My 3rd exchanged pre + did it with a few letters/numbers, i.e. r=2, so I had to exchange it. It double typed/or skipped out the letter/number.
    Global Posts
    47 Global Posts
    yesterday my pre managed to mess up on every single message I typed from it, leading me to use my laptop to type out emails instead of emailing from the pre. I'm wondering what to do at this point as my wife sent in the upc from the box and the fix seems to be non-existent at this point
    I doubt that. I'm on my 5th Palm Pre+. I previously had the Sprint Pre (got it on day 1 in June) that did not have this issue. This is definitely an issue.

I also beleive this has to be a hardware defect. My last pre which the radio went bad and had to get replaced was double spacing 90% of the time. It didn't used to do it when I first bought it. It was real frustrating. I got it replaced for a new one and this one works fine.
    My Verizon Pre Plus does double letters once in a while.
    I'll get used to it though. It would be nice if 1.4 fixes that.
    Global Posts
    177 Global Posts
    I wonder how much money palm is out from people on these forums with OCD returning their pres for the smallest issue.

I know this is off topic but let me let you in on a little secret. Oreo doesn't happen if you don't try! If you leave your phone alone it will be fine.
    Global Posts
    81 Global Posts
    I finally gave up and took the Pre Plus back to the nearest Verizon corporate store (although I purchased the device online). There were two technicians, and they quickly were able to duplicate the issue. Both said that this was the first time they've seen this problem. (Out of curiosity, they tried to duplicate it using the demo Pre Plus, but it wasn't, err, afflicted.)

They exchanged my Pre Plus with a brand new device, and the difference is night and day: I've yet to have a single duplicate character, after having to deal with multiple duplicates in every single message or email I sent.

I don't know what went wrong with these (hopefully small number of) Palm Pre Plus devices, but I hope it can be solved with a firmware update, because it really, really made me dread sliding open my Pre. I'm afraid some people would just say "it's you" (like we're hearing here, above) or "that's the way the Pre is," leading folks who don't know any better to dump the Pre in their first thirty days and go with another device. That's bad.
    Last edited by justen; 02/17/2010 at 01:29 PM.
    Global Posts
    320 Global Posts
    someone else did this and I thought it was a good idea. I'm writing this reply with the pre. So ffar so ggood. Oops maybe not. The double letters don't always happen. I know it's not a "fat fingger" problem because I'm being very careful to deliberrately use my fingernails typing very slowly. Some times the double letter problem is non exisstant and some times it's very bad. So ffar, it has not been bad in this message. Only a few error. The 's' just didn't type on 'errors'. I don't think it's a hardware problem since it iss not a consistent problem. It seems that it is more a software hicup where something in the background causes the key to be read twice or not at all.
    Global Posts
    102 Global Posts
    I have a Verizon Pre Plus and mine does the same thing, "R" is the worst on mine. But other letters do it as well.

This is a problem with the Pre Plus.
    Global Posts
    205 Global Posts
    My "e" button is the worst.
    This issue seems to come and go for me but it is maddening. The physical keyboard is (in my opinion) one of the weakest aspects of the Pre to begin with (its just not a great keyboard) but I frequently get double or triple letters and sometimes get no letter at all. If I slide it open to do a quick SMS, I am virtually guaranteed to have to redo a couple of words.

I've got another Pre on the way tomorrow to see if it is just a problem with this one, but the reports here are enough to make me suspect that its some sort of a software flaw in the key polling- perhaps getting pre-empted by other tasks that are running but I see it even with no other cards open or after a fresh restart.
    I wonder how much money palm is out from people on these forums with OCD returning their pres for the smallest issue.

I know this is off topic but let me let you in on a little secret. Oreo doesn't happen if you don't try! If you leave your phone alone it will be fine.
    This is completely irrelevant to this thread. Aside from that, you're wrong anyway.

Let the adults talk.
    Global Posts
    47 Global Posts
    For now I plan on hanging on to the Pre+ for I have about a week and a half until my 30 days are up, but have been informed that I will have to pay a $35 fee if I want to return it (unfortunately there's not another phone out there that I really like as much as the Pre+ )
    I had no problems for the first two weeks, but as of late it has gotten really bad on my Pre+. The "n" key is especially notorious. I either get no "n's" or three in a row.
    Global Posts
    47 Global Posts
    At this point I don't know what's worse; having the issue, or Palm being unaware it exists?
    Global Posts
    47 Global Posts
    I went to Verizon yesterday to finally take this thing in and get a new one. Funny thing is, they brought one out and I went through the initial setup and within about 5 minutes noticed its accelerometer didn't work. The screen never once rotated no matter what the employees and I tried, so...... I now have my old pre back, double typing keys and all
    Global Posts
    853 Global Posts

I wonder why those that don't appear to have problems criticize those with problems when it comes to a $600 device used daily that is supposed to make life a little more convenient with organization and messaging

If you have to constantly be aware of letters being typed twice or not at all and double checking your spelling, NOT because you mispelled, but because the device's keyboard is not working properly, THIS is inconvenient and very annoying. That is a small issue that quickly becomes a bigger issue as the problem gets worse.

My last question.....if you leave your phone alone it will be fine? Once again, it's a device that is most consistently attached to the hip and used often. Your going to tend to notice things. If I am opening the slider on my phone, and it is looser than it normally should be, and the problem gets worse with time, would you appreciate someone telling you you made it up and just leave it alone?

I don't get people sometimes
    Global Posts
    103 Global Posts
    My pre plus is getting worse each day. im wondering if its a hardware or software thing , as the double arent specific to a letter....could there be a massive recall?
    Come Visit Us at www.parkflyers.com
    Global Posts
    245 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mmm208 View Post
    My pre plus is getting worse each day. im wondering if its a hardware or software thing , as the double arent specific to a letter....could there be a massive recall?
    It can't be a software problem if it's getting worse. Try a reset to make sure.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast