Results 1 to 18 of 18
  1.    #1  
    Hi,

    I am moving to a farm. No uverse, no dsl. I have only a couple bars on my phone. I was wondering if there is any way of getting an amp/repeater and hooking my pre to a big monitor so I can see it better. (I am 56 and don't see as good as I used to) to read my email or surf the web. Anyone have any suggestions?
    s
  2. #2  
    Do you have a computer? You can use the Pre's internet connection on your computer. Search for freeTether around the forums or look up MyTether in google.
  3. #3  
    Satellite.

    but as far as a "TV-Out" type use with the Pre.....as far as I know....it's not possible right now.
  4.    #4  
    I got a sprint broadband connecting to the phone via usb but it needed a sign in. How does tethering get around that?I have an unlimited plan with Sprint so I shouldn't have to pay for smthing else other than an antenna perhaps to amp the signal. Will it throw up the Sprint version or do I run regular email? I am confused how this works ...thanks for your help
  5.    #5  
    I heard Satellite really is horrible.
  6. #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by 1seer7 View Post
    I heard Satellite really is horrible.
    only on uploads.
  7. #7  
    If you have a signal on your pre there is a booster you can buy and pay a monthly fee that will boost your signal on your phone or any sprint phone. My sister lives out a little way and before she got the booster you would only get 1 bar now you get full bars.
  8. #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by kunedogg View Post
    If you have a signal on your pre there is a booster you can buy and pay a monthly fee that will boost your signal on your phone or any sprint phone. My sister lives out a little way and before she got the booster you would only get 1 bar now you get full bars.
    how does that address his problem of wanting to view what he wants to view on an external monitor?
  9. #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by chud311 View Post
    how does that address his problem of wanting to view what he wants to view on an external monitor?
    It doesnt but it will help with the signal on his phone and he can get some glasses so at least his phone will work. The external monitor not going to happen as of now.
  10. LurkerX's Avatar
    Posts
    357 Posts
    Global Posts
    367 Global Posts
    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by 1seer7 View Post
    I heard Satellite really is horrible.
    As the other poster said, uploads are where satellites are horrible. They use a phone line for the uploads, the satellite is for receiving the downloads. There's too much lag for playing video games online with others where your slow upload causes too much lag etc. For just downloading web pages, email, etc, etc, it's usually fine.
  11. #11  
    Be aware, Sprint unlimited data on your phone does NOT cover phone-as-modem. You need to get a seperate data plan for that, and a USB dongle. You can combine a Simply Everything plan and the needed phone as modem plan for $150, which will then give you 5gb of mobile internet a month. You can't just hook your phone up and use it as a modem for your home computer.
  12. #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by fussnfeathers View Post
    Be aware, Sprint unlimited data on your phone does NOT cover phone-as-modem. You need to get a seperate data plan for that, and a USB dongle. You can combine a Simply Everything plan and the needed phone as modem plan for $150, which will then give you 5gb of mobile internet a month. You can't just hook your phone up and use it as a modem for your home computer.
    this doesnt apply to the Pre. Sprint doesn't offer a tethering plan for it.
  13. #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by chud311 View Post
    this doesnt apply to the Pre. Sprint doesn't offer a tethering plan for it.
    They do. The one I mentioned. Search Phone as Modem on the Sprint site, it's the only return. $150 a month gets you the $99 Everything plan, and the 5GB mobile broadband plan for another $50. Technically, you're right, its not a tethering plan, but Sprint doesn't offer those for any phone. Trust me on this one, my last Treo WinMo phone had internet connection sharing built into the OS, but the site said I couldn't use it that way. Called Sprint and got that answer, I had to have a seperate data plan with the bandwidth cap.

    Dunno if this link will work, but here goes........

    Simply Everything Mobile Broadband

    Note that it says for laptops, but that's pretty much marketing. It'll work on any computer with a USB port.

    Actually, I take that back, to some extent. I can add mobile broadband to my account, and use my Pre via Bluetooth as a modem. WinMo phones have the capability via USB, as do Blackberries, I gather. Regardless, you still need that data plan, or nothing will work without getting around the connection manager, and losing your service if you get caught.
    Last edited by fussnfeathers; 02/15/2010 at 08:59 PM.
  14. #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by fussnfeathers View Post
    They do. The one I mentioned. Search Phone as Modem on the Sprint site, it's the only return. $150 a month gets you the $99 Everything plan, and the 5GB mobile broadband plan for another $50. Technically, you're right, its not a tethering plan, but Sprint doesn't offer those for any phone. Trust me on this one, my last Treo WinMo phone had internet connection sharing built into the OS, but the site said I couldn't use it that way. Called Sprint and got that answer, I had to have a seperate data plan with the bandwidth cap.

    Dunno if this link will work, but here goes........

    Simply Everything Mobile Broadband

    Note that it says for laptops, but that's pretty much marketing. It'll work on any computer with a USB port.

    Actually, I take that back, to some extent. I can add mobile broadband to my account, and use my Pre via Bluetooth as a modem. WinMo phones have the capability via USB, as do Blackberries, I gather. Regardless, you still need that data plan, or nothing will work without getting around the connection manager, and losing your service if you get caught.
    im pretty sure we agree, but because i said "for the Pre" you thought something different.
  15. #15  
    Yeah, I did. We got it straight, I think. )
  16. #16  
    No video out on the Pre, but I believe the Instinct HD model has video out. If you have two or more phones on the account, you could make one of them the Instinct HD and use that for connecting to the monitor. Not sure if it works for monitors and TVs both. As for tethering, I had an instinct before I got my Pre in June, and there is a way to tether it, but you have to use some software that lets you mess with the internal settings. If you are not comfortable with that, I believe that they will sell you a tethering plan for about $30/month.
  17. #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by fussnfeathers View Post
    ...You can't just hook your phone up and use it as a modem for your home computer.
    Umm... yeah you can. Whether you should or not is certainly debatable, but let's be honest... you definitely can.
  18. #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by kunedogg View Post
    If you have a signal on your pre there is a booster you can buy and pay a monthly fee that will boost your signal on your phone or any sprint phone. My sister lives out a little way and before she got the booster you would only get 1 bar now you get full bars.
    Ummm...the Airave requires internet access, it sends the phone signal through your home broadband internet. He wants to use his Pre, because he can't get broadband internet. So...how does this help him again?

    Oh, and the Airave won't do 3g, so it doesn't help much for data anyway.

Posting Permissions