3 7.14%
  • Patching is the best

33 78.57%
  • What is a patch?

1 2.38%
  • On the fence

5 11.90%
  1.    #1  
    I just wanted to ask who has noticed a difference in responsiveness with a patched vs unpatched phone?
    I am getting a replacement asurion phone as I cracked the screen on it. I am debating to patch the new one or not.
    Funny you asked. I was about to start a thread about that. Before every webOS update, I prefer to install the update on a fresh OS, so yesterday I backed up all of my usb data, did a full erase followed by a visit to the Dr. I did not install any patches or even Preware. I just installed terminal to clock the phone to 600 mHz.

Let me tell ya, I may not install any patches anymore because my phone has been the smoothest and the fastest I have ever seen.

I still miss some of the patches but I have decided to go without them for the time being.

Any other users who made this transition to no patch zone?
    I have 30 plus patches and my Pre is fine, no difference, never have to reboot.

Just want to add that I have been luv'n the SR 500 patch now for 3 months.
    Last edited by netwrkr9; 02/15/2010 at 03:48 PM. Reason: add
    I've run mine both ways have have no issues with patches causing stability issues. With 35 patches installed and a total of 65 packages, my phone is rock solid.
    I've never had any difference either.

One thing I did notice was when I updated once and didn't quite clear out all the patches, or installed through Quick Install, it did seem to cause a decrease in speed. But I didn't experience any problem with the same patches after I cleaned them out with a trip to the doctor.
    I have one patch, the sms character counter. What is SR 500?
    I'm new to the pre and just got preware
    Powersaver Smart Reflex 500 Patch, it varies the voltage to the CPU to help extend battery life when your Pre is idle.
    I agree with most here, The patches only enhance the experience. Without the WOSQI,Preware, or Homebrew the Pre would be lame at best.

This is a matter of prefference, I say patches are nice you know exactly what you are getting and can easily remove them. When you mess with different themes that may change applications such as Messaging or phone then you run the risk of having compatibility problems with the them and or the patch.

That being said themes are mostly cosmetic changes to the way Apps appear, with access to WOSQi you can individually change the appearance too. ( phone dialer background) lauch opacity, boot splash , boot logo ect..) the icons can even be changed.

Patching is safe just be sure you know what each patch does before installing it, and keep in mind that prior to update removal of patches will prevent problems after new WebOS updates.
    I think your poll is really going to show a biased opinion based on those people that are most likely reading this thread.

That being said, my wife and I each have a pre. Hers is un-patched, and mine has gone through a decent number of patches. She always thinks my pre is 'faster', and I always think her pre is 'faster'. I think they are probably exactly the same and we innately somehow want to believe the other person has the better pre.
    Currently I'm unpatched. I'm somewhat new to the Pre and was wanting to wait for 1.4 before I start patching.

ET
    Quote Originally Posted by htabbach View Post
    Funny you asked. I was about to start a thread about that. Before every webOS update, I prefer to install the update on a fresh OS, so yesterday I backed up all of my usb data, did a full erase followed by a visit to the Dr. I did not install any patches or even Preware. I just installed terminal to clock the phone to 600 mHz.

Let me tell ya, I may not install any patches anymore because my phone has been the smoothest and the fastest I have ever seen.

I still miss some of the patches but I have decided to go without them for the time being.

Any other users who made this transition to no patch zone?

i think your speed increase may just be due to the doctoring. i doctored mine down just for kicks a couple of weeks ago and immediately put back on the patches (about 45 or so) that i had and the phone was really snappy. this leads me to believe that the fresh doctoring is/was what makes it feel quicker, not the lack of patches.

of course, as we all know YMMV...