Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Global Posts
    747 Global Posts
    I love phones. I've had pretty much every type of device you could really ask for, although I have not had much personal experience with any android device as they havent come into their own until recently.

I watched Microsoft's presentation about their new version of Windows Phone, which I'm sure many of you have grown tired of hearing them hint at for YEARS. I must say, I was impressed with how both polished and refined their user experience seems to be, and while I've learned over the years to treat bells and whistles with their due suspicions, I did start to wonder.

The types of devices we use change the way we see the world. If you have a device that has a great camera and incredibly simple integration with software, suddenly, you find yourself using the camera much more; it's no longer a backup, it's a part of your floating routine. Take texting. Palms messenger style texting way back in the day changed the way I texted my friends and colleagues: it was fun, so I did more. Moving onto a WinMo device afterward in which texting was treated like email--an inbox and an outbox--I unintentionally limited texting, simply because it was less convenient. I'm sure you can all think of many examples with many different types of features.

The truth is though, as per my texting example, devices also limit what you see and what you do. During Microsoft's big unveil today, they said the new windows would not support multitasking and implied that programs would be handled in the background to maintain a simple user experience. This is fine--it's preference. While many iphone users who are in the know will complain about the lack of multitasking, most users I would wager have no idea what they are missing, which is sort of interesting. They have no idea what they are missing in part because other features are so well executed.

We talk on this forum a lot about what we want in the next WebOS phone and how the new Pre needs this much ram and this type of CPU. I check the threads out, but I'm not sure I agree with the premise; while new hardware is coming, it will be as powerful as it needs to be, so it's almost not worth worrying about. Same goes for form factor--if a larger style Pre or even a slate style phone is looking good, it will come because Palm knows it can move serious units.

It's the software that makes or breaks everything, not the hardware.

I see the new windows allowing you to do very synergy-style things better than synergy. You click on a friend's picture and you see all of their contact information pulled up--pretty usual so far. You also see all of their status updates from each of their social networks on one page, presented very elegantly. All of this is native. You have a page for yourself, all of your own updates and pressing notifications are right there.

Add in the obvious Microsoft Office which is coming and suddenly instead of problems--no multitasking, no keyboard, no clue about potential battery life, etc--you start seeing solutions.

It goes back to the google dev talking about gmail and the iphone--how you do three or four things incredibly well, and work on the others later. If a device lacks multitasking but makes up for it in other ways, and also offers up a great experience when it comes to, let's say, email and web, then you forget about multitasking because you change the way you use the device. Or it changes you, maybe. I haven't used my phone to tighten up a document yet--something I did relatively infrequently on other devices--but I do wonder how that came to be.

The Pre is nice, and it changed the ways I thought about phones, many of them for the better. I love the keyboard, and I love the plastic feel of the device as a whole--it feels like just another object, instead of something that weighs down my pocket and says to me 'if you run into something, you just lost a few hundred bucks, son.' I love the OS, it's intuitive and fluid. I love the gesture area and its implementation is inspired.

What I don't love, is that all of those things that supposedly made the Pre special with regards to software/hardware integration and synergy have all been replicated in other OSes. Now, this complaint isn't about those OSes. This isn't about 'Oh, I should jump ship because that phone has X and that other phone has Y.' I don't care what others are enjoying--I appreciate competition as it helps everyone--but I do want to have the best experience for myself.

I want to know what keeps you here. What is it about the Pre and its particular integration with WebOS keeps you coming back as many of it's prime features become replicated in other devices.

Synergy so far has been a wash--it's turned out to be nothing more than the ability to merge calendars and pull different contact information from varying sources, something other phones can do. You've got Google making gains in terms of phone integration, and while their phone interface does not integrate as well as WebOS on the Pre, we do find ourselves pining for Google's killer apps.

Speaking of apps, some seem to think that they are the panacea, which I don't think it's true. We have a decent amount now, but I find myself using the same very every day, naming nytimes, twee, engadget, and newsroom.

After 1.4, where do you think integration between WebOS and the Pre is going. I'm talking beyond 'get the GPU working with the UI' and the several updates it will take to get the camera working well. I'm talking beyond 'make the music app work well' when it's incredibly ugly and unintuitive to begin with.

I want to know where you see things going for WebOS and the Pre2.

Let's assume it's got double everything hardware wise, and a digital compass. Which hardware+software integrating forward thinking features do you want on it to make other companies standup, take notice, and rethink what they are doing themselves?

My wish list is simple (read: strange):

I would love some new battery technology, even if that meant closing the battery off (although I'd rather it not be closed off). There are stories every few months of these experimental batteries that last for so long and charge incredibly quickly--let's get some of that!

More realistically, I'd love some control over the interface, being able to stack cards and move them around as the information is still loaded in each card--let me lay the cards down on the desktop's 'table' or layer them in a carosel.

Let's get some fun automation going. I really liked Word Ace's use of photos-depending on your mood, you could select a different photo representation of yourself. I'm not sure how, but let's combine that with some forward facing camera action, whether it's in the messaging app or elsewhere. I love the whole idea of your phone thinking for you, how about a phone that let's you know what's going on, some text to speech. "Meeting in three minutes, you are 5 miles away, will you be late?" You say "yeah, send an email to Bob. Text Mary." Bam, done. Email sends a prewritten message with parts filled in by the phone estimating the time it will take you to get there. Text to Mary, a friend of yours, sends a late-text and a sadface.

I'd love an expanded gesture interface, one that incorporates more of the phone, maybe the edges of the screen, with certain areas being activated depending on orientation. Maybe a squeeze does something or replicates a card swipe or something.

I guess my point is I don't know. All of these ideas sound silly to me, but a lot of fun too. People had Symbian because it had so much stuff on it. Then people had WinMo because office docs and powerpoints just 'worked.' Android came out and became the kinder, gentler, engineer oriented WinMo. Then the IPhone came out and showed everyone what a real interface was. The Pre and WebOS came out and showed what a 'real interface' could be when you gave the users a little credit.

This is all my roundaboutish way of asking, what do you want your next Pre to do for you? Also, what do you feel the next Pre must do to set it apart in a world where the competition gets more intense every day?
    after having windows mobile phone revision after revision, I won't be looking at windows 7 or any future Ms. Mobile os ever again.
    enhance universal search
    1. search email
    2. offer history drop down so you dont have to type terms again and again

enhance synergy, Im not that into social networking, so do whatever you feel fit.

optional widget UI, 3D (android) or not (windows 7ms)

that should do.

WebOS has advantages in multitasking, and etc. win7ms is an revolutionary product that so far seems to have a targeted, but limited audience. I will reserve my judgment until the retail products hit stores.
    Copy and paste pictures on the net, Download song's (for some reason it always streams them) Google map's street view, and eh +1 on a better battery.
    Personally, the Windows 7 Phone doesn't change anything for me. It's neat, but none of their 'big breakthroughs' are something I'd want to change from the webOS current behavior. Maybe your mentioning of adding Facebook status to contact info would be nice, but I don't pay any attention to Facebook statuses anyway. And on Twitter none of the people I follow are people I know in person, so I don't want anything from there in my address book.

The homescreen is a mess (to me) and so I prefer the cleaner look of the Pre, though I know others like it.

Really though, all I want that you mentioned in your post is eventual Office support, which we know is coming from DocsToGo at some point anyway.

The better battery thing, well yeah, the battery is the device's Achilles' heel, but some new battery technology that will make that all go away is merely a pipe dream at this point.
    tl;dr
  7. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Speed,speed,speed. PALM should make WebOS to be the fastest ever. Sub second response times on most apps would make it a distinct OS. Of course you need serious hardware to back up the OS.

Plus the implementation of visual multitasking is still the best of all platforms, they just need few more devices to take advantage of it. I would like to see an all touch slab, horizontal slider and a tablet (yes tablet why not) on the WebOS platform.
    Contextual search in every app.
    Truly live social media instead of having to manually refresh Facebook and Twitter apps on WebOS.
    Not integration, but the media apps on WebOS have a LONG way to go match Windows Phone 7.
    Auto-albums/folders in that ultra responsive Photos app.
    Again, not integration, but WebOS really needs hardware that can run with the likes of the Supersonic, Nexus One, and Windows Phone 7. Forget trying to match iPhone-level responsiveness. Everyone else in the market is leapfrogging that.

Probably more, but we've only seen a little of the OS. There's always something for old OSes to learn from new ones.
    Win7ms really does social networking, A.K.A. "people hub" to the bar none status.

Im not totally sure how palm should improve the synergy to that status, since the OS is so different.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    Contextual search in every app.
    Truly live social media instead of having to manually refresh Facebook and Twitter apps on WebOS.
    Not integration, but the media apps on WebOS have a LONG way to go match Windows Phone 7.
    Auto-albums/folders in that ultra responsive Photos app.

Probably more, but we've only seen a little of the OS. There's always something for old OSes to learn from new ones.
    win7ms media hub is same as ZUNE, IMHO, its the best in the market, better than anything out there, Im all for palm to improve the media app, but I don't think it should be a target for palm to "match" that.
    Global Posts
    747 Global Posts
    yeah, this did go a little long--I just cant stop my fingers

I do think one of the cool things the Windows 7 Phone did, and I think android can do this too, is go to the photoroll and immediately search through pictures on picasa albums as though it's all on your device

that definitely sounds like something that should be standard on a device with WebOS
    Global Posts
    196 Global Posts
    I agree with jhoff80. To me, 7 really doesn't bring anything new to the table, just a different way of presenting it. I think webOS has a great foundation, they just need to improve what they already have. Some of the things I would love to see are improved:
    • API/SDK
    • audio format support
    • GPU utilization
    • memory management
    • speed
    • multi-select options (especially in photo and email apps)
    • security (device encryption)
    Global Posts
    38 Global Posts
    incorporation of C?
    Quote Originally Posted by storino03 View Post
    after having windows mobile phone revision after revision, I won't be looking at windows 7 or any future Ms. Mobile os ever again.
    My experience with Windows on a mobile device has shown me Windows does not work or integarte well on a mobile phone. Palm OS ( Treo 700P vs Treo 700w ) was and probably still more stable that what a Windows mobile phone will be.

So far IMHO Web OS phones are the the Best UE/UI outh there. The droids Specs are great however the UI is not as intuitive as the WebOS.
    If Plam could put better quality control in their hardware build it would be the best phone on the market. I am Happy with the Pre and have no desire to even pck up anthoer Windows Mobile phone.
    Quote Originally Posted by clevin View Post
    Win7ms really does social networking, A.K.A. "people hub" to the bar none status.

Im not totally sure how palm should improve the synergy to that status, since the OS is so different.

win7ms media hub is same as ZUNE, IMHO, its the best in the market, better than anything out there, Im all for palm to improve the media app, but I don't think it should be a target for palm to "match" that.
    I am not sure integrating al the social networking together so seemlessly is a good thing.

Look what has happened with the launch of Google's BUZZ,

Too much integration = lack of privacy & security, yes there are settings to manage all of that but not what i look for in a mobile phone.
    Just watching the demo of winPhone7 left be lost in amongst a bewildering array of tiles, and sub-tiles. When I first saw demos of WebOS I instantly understood where and what was going on at any time.

As for the Pre2.

I dont like the style slide out keyboard and wish it was more like the Pixi, without the hit on performance, screensize, wifi etc... In fact a slightly bigger screen would be great. I don't think 3D games will ever be that great to play on the small Pre screen.

How to improve the OS. That's a hard one. Lots of incremental improvements are needed. Voicedial, speedups, getting yahoo mail and calender working properly. A few more flashy animations and transitions would probably go a long way to impress mates, but I wouldn't want any radical changes just yet.
    The UI's utilization of the GPU, Speed, Bluetooth file transfer support, and more speed.

After seeing the sleek WM7 UI, i'd prefer webOS UI to look less FisherPrice-esque.
    I'd really like to see the multiple home screens like on Android with widgets there hanging out always open and updating, Universal Search being more universal and configurable, the IM app be worked on to get rid of some of the bugs (nothing has ever got me logged into yahoo IM and i've tried everything and Palm couldn't help) and get a speach to text feature that works as good as on the Nexus One.

I think Android has alot of great things about it and they (along with HTC and Moto) have been cranking out some great stuff, but I love the Pre and webOS. The cards are amazing and I think if they can take the stuff i talked about from Android, pair it with not just top of the line hardware, but OVER the top hardware (1.5 ghz, 1gb RAM, 8mp camera, 4.5-5" amoled screen with physical keyboard), then Palm would go from being 3 or 4th in line in the OS race to challenging Android for second for sure.
    Global Posts
    209 Global Posts
    I want Facebook to actually be used in the UI. So I can see status updates and pictures from within webOS itself, not in an app. I also would like to see Facebook notifications within the UI.
    Drove 3 hours to buy my Palm Pre on day one.
    Nooo. Save us from facebook. I dont want third party companies taking over my UI. Lets keep them at arms distance inside apps where they belong.
    I have no interest whatsoever in Windows 7 Phone. webOS still feels so much more elegant. However, I would LOVE to see some of the features, in particular Xbox Live integration and gaming, make it to a future non-phone Zune device. Maybe call it Windows 7 Mobile.

I don't think any manufacturer will be able to do anything to make it so that I'm not carrying both a smartphone and a media player--currently, my Pre and my Zune. Now, if Palm managed to cut a deal to put Zune Marketplace and Pass support on webOS, then that might change things.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast