Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Global Posts
    747 Global Posts
    Here's another article, this time from Gizmodo:

Windows Phone 7 Interface: Microsoft Has Out-Appled Apple - Microsoft windows phone 7 - Gizmodo

"Rather than accessing an app to get contact information and make a call to a person, open another app to get her Twitter updates, and then another app to get her Facebook updates, and another for her latest mails to you, and yet another one to watch her photos, the Windows Phone's people hub offers a seamless view into all of it, presented in a very simple and logical way. On a function-centric model like the iPhone, when the user thinks "I want to make a call", he puts the device in "calling mode" by clicking on an app, selects a contact, and calls. When the user thinks "What's up with John Smith?" he puts the device in Facebook or Twitter or Mail mode, and so on."

Now, there is no right way or wrong way for a smart phone to do things--as I've said before, oftentimes as long as there is a "hook" to the phone (or 3 or 4) then the end user closes the gap. But this excerpt reads like something I thought we'd be seeing from Synergy.

Fast forward to the Pre 2 mid life cycle. We have tons of apps, and many power users find enough reason to keep 20 or 30 open at a time, with no incredibly detrimental impact on battery. Nice. But how is the phone going to work smarter for us?

I would love to get some information on where Palm is going to try to take the platform.
    OP, you make it sound like webOS will never get to 2.0 or something. Other companies copy Palm. Who said Palm can't copy them as well?
    Quote Originally Posted by foosball View Post
    I find myself using the Pre instead of my desktop in many more circumstances than I ever would have imagined....so in many ways it is a standin for my desktop pc, especially for web browsing. I need it to go all the way and allow me to download/run files and pretty much do most things I can do on my desktop. My wishlist:

- at least 100 gigs of storage
    - ability to use every major file extension without worrying about apps
    - slightly larger amoled display
    - Voice-to-text and voice-command apps
    As you say, you use the Pre a whole lot more than you expect. But what about the concept of the Palm Pre with its *Web*OS don't you get ? You're not the only one to miss that point, but clearly you've lost sight of the genious of the Pre. What do you need more than 16Gb on a phone for ? Your music ? Your pictures ? Files for work ?

Access your music from the web eg. stream your music from home. Pictures ? use like flickr. Files from work ? Access them through your document portal....
    Come on! We're not in the 90's. We're in a time where we use the cloud so much more, and now we've got a device that can the complexity of it, in simple logical way.

What you need is to learn to "fly" !
    Global Posts
    747 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ranzchic View Post
    OP, you make it sound like webOS will never get to 2.0 or something. Other companies copy Palm. Who said Palm can't copy them as well?
    It's hard for me to simply state a case, and it's something I'm definitely working on, but I think you've inadvertently helped me out.

What does 2.0 mean?
    Global Posts
    387 Global Posts
    The jewel of WebOS is it's simplicity, ease of use, and how every features seamlessly interact with each other. All I want for palm to do is get me some fast, SPEED, SPEED, SPEED, SPEED, SPEED! Can I be any clearer.
    Global Posts
    216 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hagster View Post
    Nooo. Save us from facebook. I dont want third party companies taking over my UI. Lets keep them at arms distance inside apps where they belong.
    agreed.
    Global Posts
    216 Global Posts
    web OS needs to be alot faster and snappier...

My main gripe with web OS is how laggy and slow the UI is..

I can't stand when I go to reply to an email and the reply card takes forever to appear!
    With respect to the functionality that the Pre requires, as a person who has lived with Treos, Blackberrys, and Win Mobile phones I found I used a different phone for a different purpose. All around the most useful and user friendly was the ancient Treo and Palm OS.

I love the multi-tasking of the Pre, and I can't imagine how I lived life without it. However, there are still huge gaps in functionality and in some ways I went backwards from an efficiency perspective. What I want to see in WebOS/Pre 2.0:
    - Life integration:
    o Problem: Synergy merely pulls multiple pieces of non-contiguous information into a jumbled mess that has left me needing to waste time cleaning it up. Very few useful tools are available to actually sort everything into proper buckets with levels of priority. Moreover, the limited functionality of relying entirely on the cloud with different sources (e.g Gmail, Outlook, social media, notes stored only on the device) for manipulating my life's information is frustrating and time consuming. For all the hate of sync, it was one place that had everything intersect that could be accessed from multiple devices.
    o Solution: I want to create intuitive silos of information so I can easily manage work, personal, civic life and the different combinations by being able to some how float what's important up to surface so I can cut through the garbage of life. I need the ability to really integrate different kinds of data that will intuitively understand what is what and how it should be presented without spending hours to manage it or clean it up.
    - Data presentation
    o Problem: Graphics are great for some things, text is great for others, and voice/video is good for still others.... however I can not customize any of this without apps or tweaks.
    o Solution: For my personal life, photos and social media are fine presented in a graphic intense environment. My job however is still pondering beastly and text intensive. I want to organize by simple texts and lists on a screen and easily manipulate to prioritize. Some examples: the memos are in post it notes and huge, I want lists to quickly access information; the email client has so much wasted space on the screen and pointless color I scream at how hard it is to navigate... again I want to choose my level of efficiency and the ability to organize in a way that should be cared for intuitively by the software. If I want beauty great, if I want cold hard classless efficiency- bring it on.
    - Data integration and interdependencies:
    o Problem: Data (pick a definition of data- emails, texts, photos, whatever) dependencies and integration when I choose to merge my silos of life is very limited via the phone. Some things are more important, some things need to have a placeholder in multiple places... but I am not allowed to decide and no intuitive tools are available. Simple example: my doctor sends me an SMS or voicemail about an appointment, I want that information to block out time in my calendar in both my personal and company Outlook and give me a reminder 30 minutes in advance- or really cool calculate my distance to office as the original author posted) and tell me about conflicts because the doctor is more important than the meeting about TPS reports.
    o Solution: An intuitive way (I don't know how) to integrate smoothly different pieces of information in a way that makes sense for my life- and to control that integration and dependencies.
    - Precision but intuitive hardware:
    o Problem: It doesn't know what I want to do Problem 1) I am constantly in motion when trying to use the phone, my fingers are fat, and I am imprecise, but I know what I want to do and darn why can't the phone figure out what I want to do. It doesn't know what I want to do Problem 2) I want to do a precise actions but the device doesn't understand I want to cut and paste a word (with the Treo I just highlight with a stylus and hit C, then pasted with V) or a phone number but the phone wants to move the whole screen or I want to back up in a text without having to use the screen and two hands.
    o Solution: Multiple hardware inputs e.g Treo with a simple 5 direction toggle or a mouse or a scroll wheel, whatever, but it needs to have precision when I need it. When I can't have precision I want the software to recognize my user patterns and just do it so I don't have to think about it.

Understanding the learning curve is huge with a new device such as this and perhaps I can do everything I want to do with the WebOs device as it is. However, I don't want to have to train myself to get along with my very expensive device, I want to train the device to get along with me.
    Quote Originally Posted by karstenskov View Post
    As you say, you use the Pre a whole lot more than you expect. But what about the concept of the Palm Pre with its *Web*OS don't you get ? You're not the only one to miss that point, but clearly you've lost sight of the genious of the Pre. What do you need more than 16Gb on a phone for ? Your music ? Your pictures ? Files for work ?

Access your music from the web eg. stream your music from home. Pictures ? use like flickr. Files from work ? Access them through your document portal....
    Come on! We're not in the 90's. We're in a time where we use the cloud so much more, and now we've got a device that can the complexity of it, in simple logical way.

What you need is to learn to "fly" !
    Yes and no. For music relying on the cloud will mean your battery is dead in 3-4 hours, which is unacceptable. I do agree with keeping photos and such on the cloud (which are a lot less bandwidth intensive).
    Global Posts
    747 Global Posts
    When it comes to having everything in the cloud, we're there, but not there at the same time. Which is also another corner stone of the question I'm asking.

Something as simple as photos saved in Picasa. In android, you go to photos and your online photos show up as if they are on your device, just like Windows Phone 7. It's more than just ability--we on our Pres can log into the Picasa website if we chose--it's about the integration.

Speed increases will be fantastic when they come, but there are some issues where speed itself is simply not the cure. Put differently, speeding up the device and speeding up the opporating system does not speed up the way you physically interact with the data-on-device that you need.

Messaging is an example. It's slow. But not the app itself--the app is relatively quick, and the multi-messaging patch mitigates things somewhat (although it's more of a bandaid). The interface and the way it connects to all of your potential associates is unintuitive. Given 3 times the ram and a processor 3 times as fast and the app will still be slow, because it's not designed intuitively. It's not designed with speed in mind.

Email is another biggie that many people share. It's also something that makes me wonder if there isnt a better way to handle it in general. Then again, maybe that's a job for a 3rd party client.
    shove in a 8mp camera and a pixi keyboard, and better build, and SD expansion and you'd have a clear shot winner!

also i'd like to see webos intergrate, MSN, yahoo, skype all into the contacts, calendar , chat and phone!

and better google maps! it should really be updated! or at least a tomtom for the UK!
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123