Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    I like the way Palm's UI handles multi tasking and love the gesture area. With that being said I own a Zune HD and love the flow of that UI which is pretty much the UI you are getting on Windows Phone 7 Series. So palm needs to speed up the UI for sure with some GPU acceleration, and widgets would be very welcomed.
    Quote Originally Posted by gbp View Post
    Speed,speed,speed. PALM should make WebOS to be the fastest ever. Sub second response times on most apps would make it a distinct OS. Of course you need serious hardware to back up the OS.

Plus the implementation of visual multitasking is still the best of all platforms, they just need few more devices to take advantage of it. I would like to see an all touch slab, horizontal slider and a tablet (yes tablet why not) on the WebOS platform.
    +1 I'm dreaming about WebOS Tablet, wish it comes soon.
    Yeah...I'm not sure why everyone was posting "great job MS" on YouTube for the demo video. I was NOT impressed.
    What the heck is with those HUUUUGE blue icons?? Reminds me of the Fisher Price toys I had as a wee child. If I press one of the blue icons, will my Windows phone go "MOOOOO?"

Lol...what a joke. After using WinMo 6 for a year or so, I'll never touch a windows mobile product again... Plus...I'm not that into social media. Not sure why everyone feels the need to upload their whole life on the Internet... It's like we've become a nation/world of Jerry Springer studio attendees!!! Ha ha...I'm just kidding..
    What I really like about WinMo 7 is the media integration. The Pre doesn't do a bad job but I must say that, the whole Zune integration looks great. Not too sure about everything else, but I haven't found the 20 minutes to go and watch the demo video :P
    Global Posts
    88 Global Posts
    def like stated above, and i sent my ideas of the next pre 2 for sprint first of course to Palm INC. I stated pretty much the size and form factor the htc pro 2 or the new toshiba ko1. I told them make it with 1gig rom and ram with a 1ghz processor, 3.5 inch screen (any bigger is not suitable to me i think 4.0 inch screens are too big and can no longer be called really a sleak mobile device). A virtual keyboard of course so people can choose between the two, though make sure the keys are similar to the htc pro 2's cause in my opinion they have got it right. Add a external sd card slot with base of 16gigs like the plus version. A 5 megapix cameria, keeping the screen plastic not glass, and a 1400 mhz battery stock, and we have a Web OS device that no other company out there can match. This is what I sent to the Palm's Execs I hope they take this and other peoples advice in consideration when making the pre 2.

heres pics of the new toshiba phone, which i would think the pre 2 should look like:
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Iancarr27 View Post
    def like stated above, and i sent my ideas of the next pre 2 for sprint first of course to Palm INC. I stated pretty much the size and form factor the htc pro 2 or the new toshiba ko1. I told them make it with 1gig rom and ram with a 1ghz processor, 3.5 inch screen (any bigger is not suitable to me i think 4.0 inch screens are too big and can no longer be called really a sleak mobile device). A virtual keyboard of course so people can choose between the two, though make sure the keys are similar to the htc pro 2's cause in my opinion they have got it right. Add a external sd card slot with base of 16gigs like the plus version. A 5 megapix cameria, keeping the screen plastic not glass, and a 1400 mhz battery stock, and we have a Web OS device that no other company out there can match. This is what I sent to the Palm's Execs I hope they take this and other peoples advice in consideration when making the pre 2.

heres pics of the new toshiba phone, which i would think the pre 2 should look like:
    if the pre looked like that I wouldn't consider buying it all.
    I do get how people think the Windows Phone 7 interface is "confusing" or "cluttered", but it seems simple to me. You have tiles you arrange as you like, and once you tap them, you're in that hub.

Tile = Much better live/active widget
    Hub = App with integration

What I don't get is how people around here aren't more impressed with the integration. Who needs apps when Pandora (and other services in the future) are integrated into the Zune player along with an FM radio? Who needs to wait on a great FB app when they integrate FB into contacts and other system areas?

These are usability steps that add at least as much as cards and visual multitasking. Seriously.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    I do get how people think the Windows Phone 7 interface is "confusing" or "cluttered", but it seems simple to me. You have tiles you arrange as you like, and once you tap them, you're in that hub.

Tile = Much better live/active widget
    Hub = App with integration

What I don't get is how people around here aren't more impressed with the integration. Who needs apps when Pandora (and other services in the future) are integrated into the Zune player along with an FM radio? Who needs to wait on a great FB app when they integrate FB into contacts and other system areas?

These are usability steps that add at least as much as cards and visual multitasking. Seriously.
    I wholeheartedly agree with you, plus anyone who has used a Zune HD fairly extensively will actually love the UI. It's a very ingenious approach to software navigation.
    Lump me in with the "not impressed" crowd. I was really expecting a lot more from Win7Phone then a glossy UI and Zune integration. I see nothing there that would compel me to give up my webOS device.
    I still think that Palm should release a version of the Pre with a larger/brighter screen (around 4.3) and no keyboard. I LOVE webOS and think that with a larger screen and no keyboard would be perfect.

As far as the software, correct the general lag and allow for widgets or some type of homescreen for those that want it. Also allow for more APIs so that developers can do their thing.

As others have said, unless the retail version is going to be better, I see no reason to leave my webOS.
    "Music is well said to be the speech of angels." - Thomas Carlyle
    Global Posts
    747 Global Posts
    Yeah, the Windows 7 interface is nothing to be scoffed at. It does so many Pre/WebOSish things incredibly well (it seems) which gets to my point.

Beyond why we all love the phone we have right here right now, what is going to keep it ahead. Once every phone does the things that WebOS is none for, what keeps everyone on WebOS? Form-factor of hardware? Buying into the Pre-App infrastructure? Gestures?

Skim this video a bit:

Basically, gives you a card-like interface for android widgets. Now, these are just widgets, and it does look a bit busy to me, but I'm not really talking about how it looks. All of these phones are aping each others functionality. I'm wondering what everyones' personal limit is on how much functionality gains other manufacturers can make before they jump ship. What does the Pre 2 have to do better, to keep your curiosity from at least making you consider trying something else?

The Pre 2 will be in an interesting position, simply because as the WebOS gets better, the phone as a whole will also get better, which is fun. Better fidelity on the whole of the OS will change how we use our phones: once the calendar works fast, and the browser is nailed down, and yada yada we'll have an incredibly solid experience. Couple that with the APIs that will be unleashed, allowing some legit apps to come forth, and things should be golden.

In your opinion, will that be enough?

My only question is how soon. Sprint users who adopted early are going to be able to re-up soon, if they arn't already. As it stands now, I'm going to wait until the summer and see if Sprint gets anything exciting for the Pre 2. I'll see how flash goes and hope we get an inkling of of where the platform is heading to as a whole--personally, I hope more 'thinking for you' type stuff as 'flashiness' will come on it's own. My eye will wander though.
    Global Posts
    565 Global Posts
    For all the talk that Synergy got before the release of the Pre I feel like it hasn't seen much in the way of improvements/advancements since it's release. We have seen many Android implementations (Sense & MotoBlur) and now Windows Phone 7 Serires take what Palm has done and really moved forward with it while Palm remains at the same place they were in June of 2009.

Overall improvements in the smoothness/responsiveness of the UI will go a long way towards improving webOS. I second the call for a high-end, top of the line specs webOS device this year.

EDIT: I'm due for an upgrade this Summer and I will be looking to move to the next Palm device if there is one.
    Last edited by r-nice; 02/15/2010 at 07:37 PM. Reason: Added in more information...
    Most of my phones have been Palm. Palm has always treated me right so any other brand would not make me happy. I would miss the brand.
    What do I want?;
    The usb port setup so I can use SD cards with an adapter and plug in options for the USB like a mini projector, video out, keyboard or printer etc..
    Global Posts
    387 Global Posts
    Speed, Speed, Speed. That's all.
    by the time it comes out, i bet my two year contract will be nearing its end
    I find myself using the Pre instead of my desktop in many more circumstances than I ever would have imagined....so in many ways it is a standin for my desktop pc, especially for web browsing. I need it to go all the way and allow me to download/run files and pretty much do most things I can do on my desktop. My wishlist:

- at least 100 gigs of storage
    - ability to use every major file extension without worrying about apps
    - slightly larger amoled display
    - Voice-to-text and voice-command apps
    Last edited by foosball; 02/15/2010 at 09:10 PM.
    Seems to me the company that should be concerned is RIM. Don't know exactly what MS is up to but if the Win 7 phone puts a slick interface on top of 1st class MS Exchange services it could be trouble for Blackberry.
    Global Posts
    105 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Leedavis190 View Post
    Seems to me the company that should be concerned is RIM. Don't know exactly what MS is up to but if the Win 7 phone puts a slick interface on top of 1st class MS Exchange services it could be trouble for Blackberry.
    RIM has two things Palm doesn't; money and an existing customer base. Palm had lost a good chunk of their users prior to the Pre. And while RIM has lost some of its customers, they still have a huge lock on a lot of corporate users. If they can give those guys a reason not to switch, then can survive. But their software, and even their hardware, has become increasingly archaic.
    Global Posts
    565 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by foosball View Post
    I find myself using the Pre instead of my desktop in many more circumstances than I ever would have imagined....so in many ways it is a standin for my desktop pc, especially for web browsing. I need it to go all the way and allow me to download/run files and pretty much do most things I can do on my desktop. My wishlist:

- at least 100 gigs of storage
    - ability to use every major file extension without worrying about apps
    - slightly larger amoled display
    - Voice-to-text and voice-command apps
    At least a 100 GBs? Get real.
    Global Posts
    887 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chud311 View Post
    tl;dr

+1

Couldn't do it.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast