Global Posts
    570 Global Posts
    Interesting article overall, but I take whatever an analyst says with a grain of salt...

Just a snippet of the article:

"The easiest one to write off is Palm. They're just so small in terms of overall market share," says In-Stat analyst Allen Nogee. "Unless they really see phenomenal growth coming out of Europe, and their expansion with Verizon and AT&T, it's going to be very challenging for them in the long run."

So, anyone agree? Disagree?
    Visor/Sprint Springboard Expansion Module > Visor Platinum > Tungsten E > Centro (work) > Palm Pre
    Global Posts
    570 Global Posts
    I've probably should have posted this thread under Palm General Chat... sorry.
    Visor/Sprint Springboard Expansion Module > Visor Platinum > Tungsten E > Centro (work) > Palm Pre
    Quote Originally Posted by RafRol View Post
    Interesting article overall, but I take whatever an analyst says with a grain of salt...

Just a snippet of the article:

"The easiest one to write off is Palm. They're just so small in terms of overall market share," says In-Stat analyst Allen Nogee. "Unless they really see phenomenal growth coming out of Europe, and their expansion with Verizon and AT&T, it's going to be very challenging for them in the long run."

So, anyone agree? Disagree?
    I think there are enough qualifiers in there to:
    • Let the author say "see, I was right" regardless of what happens
    • Make the prediction pretty meaningless

What constitutes "phenominal"? If that fails, exactly what does it mean that "it's going to be challenging"? I suspect the execs at Palm already think it's challenging...
    Well it really is too bad that owning the fruit phone is like a status symbol, and that many people just love their DOS phone...uhuumm...I mean Blackberrys and won't venture out to the current world to see that life exists past there boring, outdated, slow and crappy browser blackberrys. Android users...well, I guess I can't have too much beef with you, I just find Android a royal clusterf*** (self censored ) of devices and versions. It's the shere amount of available phones on every carrier with lots of form factors that make Android so popular. The financial muscle that is Skynet...uh...I mean Google behind the whole thing obviously helps too. But lets not forget how long it took for Android to get off the ground, something that Palm was much more successful at, at least in my eyes.

I used to envy the fruit phone, I really did, but currently, besides the slightly smaller screen and not quite so smooth running UI, the iPHone has nothing on the Pre.

As mentioned many times before, if only Palm had better marketing! Now that we get the fancy games to, why not put those in the commericals! Go all out, do a Pre vs iPhone commercial, Sprint did it with that piece of crap Instinct which didn't stand a chance, but in the Pre Sprint and Verizon now do have a formidable opponent. Verizon spent all that money in a direct ad attack against the iPhone with the Droid, and while it is a good phone, at the time of airing, there were just too many things the Droid didn't do yet!

I show my phone to anyone that will listen, I get lots of positive comments, people would love it and buy more of them if only Palm and its partners were better at getting the word out!!
    I'm not too worried for Palm anymore. From where I'm sitting they've spent the last year doing a phenomenal job of building themselves a very solid base to work from in the future. Once they bring out some more devices and people realize that WebOS is a standard rather than a novelty I think they can only see a steady rise in marketshare. There will always be a ceiling for a group like Palm because Android, BlackBerry and iPhone will hold the top spots (that's just the way it is). But Maemo, WinMo, Symbian and whatever horrific OS Samsung are using at the moment will probably be overshadowed by WebOS in the long term.

This is just my opinion of course, I'm no analyst. It really all depends on how Palm play the next year. They need to get it right - more form factors to cater for different types of consumer and increased hardware quality to improve their reputation.

I'm not really worried though - after this first year the 'new' Palm looks like it's under excellent management.
    Global Posts
    570 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SqyArc View Post
    They need to get it right - more form factors to cater for different types of consumer and increased hardware quality to improve their reputation.

Don't forget more carriers ... worldwide (and an unlocked GSM phone should be on their radar I hope).
    the article is pretty generic.
    Quote Originally Posted by RafRol View Post
    Don't forget more carriers ... worldwide (and an unlocked GSM phone should be on their radar I hope).
    yep thats correct.
    If they do these "simple steps" then its alright, however the need to step up and move faster. The competition isnt going to wait afterall.

The only thing i'm worried about is the built quality, that after all is the "first impression" for most. If they get a bad handset, ppl will just take it back and get something else.........

Also ruby ruby ruby ruby* (Rubinstein) needs to get the team to work faster, bring more important updates quicker, harder, better, stronger**

*Kaiser Chiefs : Ruby
    ** Daft Punk : Stronger
    Quote Originally Posted by ratchetjaw View Post
    If they would just release a bigger pixi with pre guts and screen or bigger they would dominate the business market.
    No, they wouldn't. Not without significant improvements to PIM apps. Like it or not, the Centro is still a better PDA than the Pre or Pixi. When it comes to business support, about the only thing that webOS clearly outclasses PalmOS in is the ability to play really cool games and surf the web during boring meetings.