1.    #1  
    So palm promised performance and battery with 1.4 Does performance mean it will run faster as in opening apps? I hope so, if they make make it open apps in half the time that would be sweet. Hope they surprise us like the last time.
    no.

the truth is these performance and battery increases were never qualified.

it is probably going to be in keeping with the incrimental performance and battery inmprovments we have seen in past releases.,

that means it will not suddenly feel like a new phone and last three days.

it could happen, but it is not something to bank on. Palm has never said anything about gpu ui coming or something that would potentially make the pre feel like a different phone.

the editors of pre central have said they expect a small increase in performance and battery, un noticeable to most users, but a real increase none the less.

performance does not equal speed opening apps, but that is part of the equation, a big part, so hopefully it will come.

1.4 is about video, we know that.

the extent of the tweaks brought by the update to other aspects of the phone aren't quantified.

flash get some behind the scenes type stuff, but we have to wait for adobe, not necissarily palm, to actually make it available in the app catalog to use.

I'm expecting a lot of caterwhaling(sp?) when it is released, as it seems to be overhyped, and read into alot on the forums.

I hope I'm wrong. But I don't expect a huge performance boost until 2.0 maybe 1.5

then again, 1.3.5 was pretty huge letting 3d games through. So who knows.
    In short, yes.
    Quote Originally Posted by NickDG View Post
    Welcome to open source. Things can get bumpy. Please fasten your seat belts.
    Quote Originally Posted by dianagr View Post
    You can also swipe a counterclockwise semi-circle around the center button to go back. [Do a back gesture]
  4.    #4  
    I wonder if Deiter asked them what they meant by performance. They actually never said the word speed, but I hope so, that's the only thing this phone really needs.
    Quote Originally Posted by laingman View Post
    I wonder if Deiter asked them what they meant by performance. They actually never said the word speed, but I hope so, that's the only thing this phone really needs.
    deiter said he believes it will be a small increase in performance, seen by some people, but not to noticeable. It was on a podcast. What that means, in specifics, I think he had some postulations, you could listen to it if you were super curious.

Quote Originally Posted by The_lane View Post
    In short, yes.
    actually, I don't think we know. There's a chance it does not mean speed as the op defines it.
    The only speed increases we could see would be if they optimized the framework even more.

Reported battery life will be lower, because everyone will be recording videos constantly, and then everyone will claim the update ruined battery life, when in reality, it was the constant video recording that will do it. That and continuous use of flash on websites (flash games, videos, etc.).
    Arthur Thornton

Former webOS DevRel Engineer at Palm, HP, and LG
    Former webOS app developer (built Voice Memos, Sparrow, and several homebrew apps and patches)
    Former blogger for webOS Nation and webOS Roundup