1.    #1  
    Each of my Pre's (I'm on number 6) have had varying degrees of play in the slider mechanism. My second one was VERY loose side-to-side, as well as showing some gaping if you pulled gently on each half.

My current one isn't the worst, but I don't think it's the best. If I twist it gently I get a little bit of wiggle. Very slight. But, if I twist a little harder, the two halves separate a bit more and I get maybe about 1/16th of an inch of the corner of one of the halves, to stick out further than the other. If I don't mess with it, it hardly does anything at all, and it doesn't get any worse from use.

I've heard folks talk about their slider like you could almost twist the halves into an "X" they are so loose, though I know this isn't the case. So, how much twist in your slider do YOU consider too much?
    If you can put each side of the Pre on separate sides of your house.... then that's too far...
    "Life is Hard... it's harder if your stupid"
    - John Wayne
    A 1/16 of an inch does not sound bad, because it's a slider, it needs a little play.
    I usually limit myself to about 1 of the 3 rows in the package (unless they are double-stuff, then I'll stop at about 1.5 rows). Eating the whole package is too much oreo and will cause others in the house to be mad at you.
    Last edited by sudoer; 02/14/2010 at 08:27 PM.
    I'm both super! ... and a doer!
    It helps if you to have a big glass of cold milk.
    Quote Originally Posted by pelikan3 View Post

If I don't mess with it, it hardly does anything at all, and it doesn't get any worse from use.
    Exactly... Don't mess with it, you won't notice it, and it won't get worse.

I don't get it, people try to twist their phones and then say "it has oreo". Of course there has to be some play, but don't try and make it worse. I think a lot of oreo issues are user induced.
    +1
    I'm in total agreement with the "don't mess with it camp". I can click my phone about 1/16" in an oreo twist if I wanted to, but I did this just once (to see that it's possible) and my launch day Pre is not sloppy to this day. When viewing the closed phone sideways up to the light, I can see about a 1/64" sliver of light around the keyboard area and no light on the top end between the two halves. After 8 months and no kid glove treatment of my phone, I think is is pretty good evidence that not twisting the phone is a good thing.
    ^^^This.
    Blaize, Mistress of Verbosity

Be nice until it's time to not be nice.--Dalton, "Roadhouse"
    ^^^That.

Question answered.
    Out of the 5 phones i went through only 2 of them had a serious twist problem. While I agree with the general notion of don't mess with it and it will be fine, you can't help but notice there is just way to much variation between the phones.

Just because you don't mess with it doesn't mean as you use the phone it wont get worse. That will of course vary greatly from person to person depending on how each one uses there phone. There should be a little bit of play in the phone yes, but I would never just ignore twisting. You said your getting about 1/16th of an inch but when you apply a little more pressure would it be safe to say your getting about 1/8th give or take? If so I surely wouldn't keep that.

When I had the 5 phones I went through I took the back cover off and took the battery out to look at the slider. I noticed varying differences in the position of the smaller clasp to the right. In one case you could clearly see it was bolted on slightly twisted. Generally the one on the left was snug and in the position it should be but if you look at the right one it was clearly the cause of the twisting. Like I said earlier I only had that issue with 2 of them the other 3 you could apply pressure on the top half and get pretty much zero movement, they were truly solid as a rock. But there is clearly some hit or miss in the construction of that mechanism.

Ultimately you have to ask yourself how much it bothers you? Most people seem to not be bothered by it much. I can't say I was one of those people as that was the issue that finally led me to return the phone. You said your on phone number 6 have they all been slider related issues?
    i hope you didnt return 5 phones because they had "oreo". my first pre would oreo about an 1/8th", but it didnt affect anything. I had it for 7 months until the speaker went out. refurb oreos too, but not as much, and like others have said, i dont twist it on purpose.

I find it hard to believe that some of these phones twist so much that they are almost perpendicular. something would have to be broken if they did.
    No I didn't return 5 phones because of "oreo" my phones all had different issues. But when I went in for the 5th phone and the lady handed it to me and the whole top shook around I was done. 1/8th of play is not normal just because a person chooses to cast it aside as a none issue.

Whats to say that wont get severely worse as you use the phone, or stick it in your pocket or backpack causing it to hit against other things in turn causing the already loose mechanism to get even looser. Again this all depends on the individual but just because you don't force your phone to twist 1/8th of an inch doesn't mean it should be doing that in the first place.
    I would not accept an obviously loose phone out of the box either. Yes the phone will get a little looser. You can minimize this by "pulling" the slider open (by grabbing both sides and pulling from the top, rather than thumbing it up from the bottom). Hope this suggestion helps.

EDIT: I know what I'm suggesting sounds a bit honky, but the point I'm making is that trying to open the slider "evenly" seems to help.
    My Pre, new in September, is very tight compared to some I've seen, and the interesting thing is that it only oreos one direction. If I twist the top to the left...nothing. If I twist to the right, about 1/16th. Is that how they all are, or do some twist both directions? To be honest, it does bother me a bit that there is sideways play at all, but not enough to exchange it and possibly get one that's worse!
    Global Posts
    627 Global Posts
    ypwandrews, mine oreo's similar to yours, mine is 7 months old.

Unless the two halves are close to separating or there is the real chance of getting something more than sunlight, air and water inside the phone there is no reason to return a slider phone due to slop, play, oreo or whatever word you choose.
    That's what I thought too, but it seems that some people expect perfection. While I would be very happy with perfection, I have ceased expecting it, especially from my phones!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rift View Post
    No I didn't return 5 phones because of "oreo" my phones all had different issues. But when I went in for the 5th phone and the lady handed it to me and the whole top shook around I was done. 1/8th of play is not normal just because a person chooses to cast it aside as a none issue.

Whats to say that wont get severely worse as you use the phone, or stick it in your pocket or backpack causing it to hit against other things in turn causing the already loose mechanism to get even looser. Again this all depends on the individual but just because you don't force your phone to twist 1/8th of an inch doesn't mean it should be doing that in the first place.
    just so you know, i was replying to the original post. Im not saying that the twist is normal, and yes some would see that as reason for return. But if someone went through 5 phones because the slider twists a bit, then that doesnt seem right to me.
    OCD people should stay away from slider phones.
    Quote Originally Posted by netwrkr9 View Post
    OCD people should stay away from slider phones.
    totally agree with this.

Mine oreo's more than one the opening poster is saying, and I got mine on launch day. It is exactly the same now, as in, I don't notice it at all and I haven't tried to twist it since maybe the 3rd day I've had it. Going on 8 months now with no problems at all.

I think the fear of the Oreo is that the sliding mechanism will fall apart at some point in the future when the phone is out of warranty. I have seen little evidence to suggest that. I've had a couple of Palm's previous sliding devices, and while I've not been the biggest fan, I've never a problem with the wear-tear of the sliders. I think there are industrial tests to assess that.