Global Posts
    194 Global Posts
    I guess that most of the people that are using accented characters are following this forum so I post is here.

I am using QWERTZ Pre (1.3.5.2) imported from Germany, with US English regional settings. My native language is Croatian which includes accented characters čćđ.

Originally, only and were displayed after SYM was pressed on my Pre so I couldn't enter other characters. Here's the solution :

1. Use WOSQI and receive the file
    file : alternatechars_table_qwertz.json"
    directory : /usr/palm/frameworks/mojo/submissions/200.72/resources/en_us

(please note that directory name "200.72" changes as WebOS version changes)

2. backup the received file
    3. than you need to modify the file. The format is self-explanatory
    4. upload the file back to your Pre
    5. restart

voila

ps. Kudos to the smart people in "How to get smiley in SYM box"
    ps. I attached modified file that is ready to use for Croatian/Serbian/Slovenian users

Kreso
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Global Posts
    140 Global Posts
    Thats great!

I've modified it for Lithuanian users, added characters: ąčęėįųū (and capital), Lithuanian quote symbols: , and couple additional smileys: B-) :-* :-D :-@ :-/ :-P

I think this should be available as a patch (maybe more than couple different) in Preware
    Attached Files Attached Files
    You should request a mod for putting it in the appropriate section "Palm Pre Tips, Information, and Resources".
    Global Posts
    194 Global Posts
    I discovered (almost) convenient way to enter special characters using only keyboard. Imagine you are trying to enter character "Š"

1. press SYM
    2. press "S"
    3. press "S" few more times and you'll notice that selected character within SYM box moves as you press "S"
    4. after character "Š" is selected (selected character is bold) than press SYM again

Voila.
    It takes quite a few keyboard strokes but you don't need to switch between keyboard and screen. Participatory helpful with broken screen

Kreso
    Something`s wrong with this method after 1.4 update. I putted alternatechars_table_qwertz.json to /usr/palm/frameworks/mojo/submissions/330/resources/en_us (no other patches) and ended with endless reset. I had to run webos doctor (I lost settings and homebrew apps). After doctoring I repeated the same operation for the second time and ended with endless reset again!
    Any solution?
    Can you add new characters? And how can you see what characters are supported?
    Hi guys,
    what about the "clean way"? I mean, create a new locale for your country. I've written a short guide how to do that some time ago. It's in Czech but I think the Google translate will do the job :-)

It's simple:

1. modify the /etc/palm/locale.txt to add your country + language
    2. create a date + time file for your locale in /usr/palm/frameworks/mojo/submissions/330/resources/<locale>/datetime_table.json
    3. create symbol tables for your locale (e.g. cs_cz) in the same directory
    4. issue a sqlite call to set your phone to newly created language (you cannot choose it in the Regional Settings app)
    5. reboot

See the guide here: Czech localisation for Palm Pre and Pixi (Google translation to English)

P.S.: Tested to be working under webOS 1.4.0
    Global Posts
    194 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by svigi View Post
    Something`s wrong with this method after 1.4 update. I putted alternatechars_table_qwertz.json to /usr/palm/frameworks/mojo/submissions/330/resources/en_us (no other patches) and ended with endless reset. I had to run webos doctor (I lost settings and homebrew apps). After doctoring I repeated the same operation for the second time and ended with endless reset again!
    Any solution?
    I have the same situation.
    I still haven't found the solution. I've seen other post from czechdev who got it working with 1.4

BTW, you don't need to doctor your Pre - you just upload the original file alternatechars_table_qwertz.json back to your Pre. It makes testing less painful.

Kreso
    BTW, you don't need to doctor your Pre - you just upload the original file alternatechars_table_qwertz.json back to your Pre. It makes testing less painful.

Yes you need to doctor because Pre is rebooting before you can upload anything to it.