1.    #1  
    Hello, I registered to the forums to ask a couple of questions before getting a Pre. I've been searching for a new phone lately and after watching youtube reviews and reading about it, I decided I want a Pre.

The thing is, I live in Uruguay (I'll save you the google search, it's in South America), and no carrier here has the Pre, but I can import it. The thing is I'm afraid I won't be able to get updates for WebOS since my carrier doesn't have the Pre (damn you iPhone!), is this right? Or will I be able to update anyway?

Another thing I'm worried about is hardware failures, how common are they? Because if mine fails it will take time to replace because I have to send it abroad, and I've read online that there are a lot of cases of failures. But maybe it's because dirty competition against Palm (I hope).

Well, that's it. I hope my english isn't as bad as I think it is. I REALLY want a Pre to release myself from my WinMo chains.

Gracias!!
    as far as I know, updates are more related to palm's servers than any specific carrier network. You can update over wifi. So all you should need is a data connection. Also if you buy it from the us, I believe it will continue to think it's in the us. So you will update when updates are pushed out for the states.

anyone feel free to correct me if i'm wrong
    the pre here is cdma which makes any kind of use outside of the original carrier difficult and since your network has the iphone is must be gsm so it would be impossible so you would have to import a european one
  4.    #4  
    My network is ANCEL and the bands it uses are:
    GSM 1800 / UMTS 1900 / UMTS 2100
    So I guess the european version will do. Does that mean I will get updates when they are released for Europe? If that's the case then no biggie, i think I can wait a little longer to get updates.

Does anyone have anything to say about the hardware issues question? If I do import it I think I will keep my old phone for a while just in case, but a little reassurance would be nice .
    I'm very glad you are looking to get the Pre... It's an awesome choice!

However, since you are on a GSM network I would encourage you to post your questions in the GSM Pre forums. They may be able to offer you better answers than us CDMA users can give.
  6.    #6  
    I hadn't noticed there was a sub-forum for the gsm version. Thanks!!