Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I just bought the Palm Pre today and here are my following observations:

1) No MSN/Windows Live Messneger

- I tried downloading Greg's plug-ins and it was a big blowout. It just didn't work, the images didn't load. It was a mess.

2) No eBuddy, Meebo App

- Hey at least if there's not MSN app, where are the IM apps? I WANT MY MSN! Also, is there a way to automatically log-onto MSN on these websites (like meebo.com), for example, once I click the launcher button

3) Probably my biggest pet peeve: No Speed Dialing/Texting

- No speed dialing. I installed Quick Contacts but that's only 14 days. It just takes too long and too many taps on the touch screen to call/text people (even if they are on the Pre's official speed dial)

4) Is there anyway you can customize the ringtone for texts/alerts?

- For example, I want my ringtone for texting specifically to be something particular. Is there anyway I can do that? I downloaded "My Notifications" and it seems to be doing the trick.

5) No Facebook App (Official)

- Sure there are plenty of Facebook apps but they all kinda suck. To be honest, just browsing over to the actual Facebook webpage and setting THAT on the launcher seems to look and feel better. Anyone else have any other ideas?

How do YOU guys get around these "problems", more specifically the MSN/Facebook issue.

THANKS!
    Quote Originally Posted by thegame2388 View Post

How do YOU guys get around these "problems", more specifically the MSN/Facebook issue.

THANKS!
    We dont buy a device w/o researching it for the functions we need!
    Please hit the thanks button if I helped you

If you've enjoyed my patches please feel free to donate towards further development.

Follow the link below.

Maybe you should take your Pre back and do some research before you buy a phone.
    Hey, I'll try to help you out a bit if I can.

First thing regarding MSN. I would say there is a very good chance that this feature will be added sometime in the future, as Yahoo messaging was incorporated a couple updates ago. However, I can't guarantee you this, since Palm does have a lot of other things they are working on so this may not be a priority right now. If MSN is absolutely crucial to you, you may want to get a different phone.

You can change your text ringtone if you go into the messaging app and go into preferences, but if you downloaded My Notifications, that is a better option.

You can set any key on the keyboard as a speed dial. Go into the contact page and into the menu. You can set up speed dial from here so that you can just dial with a long press. You can also add the contact to your launcher, so you can launch it just like any other app.

As for Facebook. There is a Facebook for Palm app, although it it a bit bare boned at the time. For me it works well. When I am on the go I dont care for all the advanced features. With the app you can see statuses, pictures, update your status, like posts and comment on them. Otherwise x.facebook.com and lite.facebook.com are good alternatives.

Hope this helps!
    You don't need a ebuddy app to run ebuddy, just go to the ebuddy website on the phone, there ya go problem solved.
  6.    #6  
    I very much resent the idea that I didn't research. I researched quite a lot and I consider this product to be better than the iPhone in many ways.

However, I was just wondering about a few things and the feasibility of going to ebuddy's website everytime I wanted to chat on MSN. That's all.

Is it practical? No

Can it be considered temporary until a real MSN app comes out? Sure
    3) For speed dial, start the contacts app, find the contact you want to add speed dial for, choose it and go to the top menu, there should be an option to assign speed dial. Not the greatest UX but it's doable.

5) There is a Facebook app written by Palm. It's pretty light on features but that's as official as you are going to get for now.
    Mobile photoblog http://post.jauderho.com/
    - No speed dialing. I installed Quick Contacts but that's only 14 days. It just takes too long and too many taps on the touch screen to call/text people (even if they are on the Pre's official speed dial)
    I can't really get on board with any of the speed dialing apps, either. I don't see how opening an app can ever be quicker than speed dial or universal search both native to the phone.
  9.    #9  
    So far, the QUICKEST way to text someone on your speed dial (or anyone for that matter):

1) Tap into Quick Contacts (tap)
    2) Click their name (tap)
    3) Designate text message (as opposed to calling them)
    4) Done

That's 3 taps which requires about 15 seconds to wait for it to load.
    Global Posts
    6 Global Posts
    Check out DG Quick Cut, a homebrew app (one of the earliest and still one that has helped improve my pre functionality the most). It will allow you to create launcher icons for specific phone numbers. I think there is a paid app called launchpoint that has similar functionality in the App Catalog. There also is an app in the App Catalog called IM+ (at 9.99 a little pricey) that will do MSN Messenger.
    Global Posts
    225 Global Posts
    For speed dialing I use Launchpoint. It puts the contact, with picture, on the launcher. You can even set it up so that you can access SMS and Email. I put all of the launchpoints on my first launcher page and use the patch to always start on the first page. That way, when I want to make a call to one of my favorites, it's just two taps - one to open launcher and one to call the person.
    OP:

Not sure if you've gotten a chance to look into homebrew. But for your SMS notifications there are 2 patches, one that just changes the global (i.e. all contacts) sound, and there is one that will add the option to assign a specific 'text-tone' to a contact and change the global setting for those with out a specific 'text-tone'. I highly recommend either of these patches.

So feel free to check out Preware, it makes the pre much better. It's a completly different phone, by the time you customize it with all kinds of paches.
    Im another one that LOVES LaunchPoint. Thats now in the app catalog, so if you dont want to deal with Homebrew (but really who wouldnt, its SOO COOL), LaunchPoint lets you add picture contact icons for phone, text, or email, or a cool feature to create a popup that lets you choose one of those for a contact.

If its just plain speed dial, thats now a native part of your contracts...
    Last edited by dianehelen; 02/14/2010 at 07:29 AM.
    I have always been a "Phone" person. My love of "Phones" started at an early age. Avatar to the left, is circa 1952, see the sparkle in my lil toddler eyes
    Cell History: Bag Phone, Brick Phone, Various Micro Tacs, Treo's, Centro, the PRE!

I Pre

IM+ from the app catalog does MSN.

It's clear that you haven't done your research as there are options that fulfill all your issues.
    Global Posts
    239 Global Posts
    3) Probably my biggest pet peeve: No Speed Dialing/Texting

Start typing the persons name when at the home screen (Usually only the first few letters are needed). Tap the name. Tap the number to call or the SMS bubble to text. Easy.
    Bell Pre- running 2.1 @ 800MHz
    Samsung Galaxy Tab (stock)
    photodialer is my fav speed dial app for both text and calls.
    Smarty-pants replys have no place here . Three of them, no less.
    [QUOTE=Warblad13;2220057][url]

Anybody that doesn't want to read complaints (or help) can either not click on them or start a fan club. This is a forum.
    Last edited by dbdoinit; 02/14/2010 at 09:40 AM.
    so did you figure out assignning speed dials from contact list?

it's buildin, no extra app, just pure and simple speed dial.

for speeddialing-texting, launchpoint or simple typing contact name will do.

if you find 10-15 second being too slow, why don't you just leave the IM app open all the time? Webos is an excellent multitasking OS, why not use it?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast