Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    219 Global Posts
    I hate swapping the cable back and forth between PC and Touchstone, so I want to buy a spare one. From what I've read, not all microUSB ones work with the touchstone, so any idea on where to buy one for cheap?

It's criminal how Palm doesnt include the cable with the Touchstone kit.
    I too am looking for one that plugs into the wall and that fits for the touchstone. For the same reason so I don't have to use the pc cord. Any ideas anybody?
    Drop by a local Sprint store. They usually have a LOT of extra cables in back and a good rep will just give you one. A rep here in Chicago will give you one for a couple bucks on the side
    EBay or Amazon also have cheap ones...
    Global Posts
    219 Global Posts
    Do regular microUSB ones work?
    I bought a regular micro USB cable of ebay for €2.50 and it works just fine.
    You may get a problem with the thickness of the micro USB plug not fitting into the TS.
    I use a cheap one from eBay to connect to computer and the original for the TS.
    USB Cables

More micro USB cables than you can shake a stick at. Cheap, too.
    Global Posts
    32 Global Posts
    I bought a cheap one for 2 € at amazon and it just works. Never thought of some problems that can occur. Its like miniUSB... every cable fits in every hole
    I bought some off Amazon for 99 and while they will charge the phone they won't drive the touchstone. Be careful
    Quote Originally Posted by SaMsA View Post
    every cable fits in every hole
    No according to the Kama Sutra.

Valentine's Day humor! I love it!
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    Seconded vote for Monoprice (as per the above link); great prices, reliable cables. {Jonathan}
    Prof. Jonathan I. Ezor
    Writer, PreCentral
    Past Palm Real Reviewer
    @webOSquire on Twitter
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan I Ezor View Post
    Seconded vote for Monoprice (as per the above link); great prices, reliable cables. {Jonathan}
    The monoprice cable won't fit the touchstone. I have them and they are great cable, but not with touchstone.
    Global Posts
    116 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bdhu2001 View Post
    The monoprice cable won't fit the touchstone. I have them and they are great cable, but not with touchstone.
    Just shave a little of the plastic off around the micro plug. X-acto knife or box cutter will work.
    It may seem like I am doing nothing, but on a cellular level I'm really quite busy.
    Quote Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post
    A rep here in Chicago will give you one for a couple bucks on the side
    No es bueno @ selling them under the counter..

We give them out for free. I have a stash of about 7 or so OEM Palm cables.. All you have to do is ask one of my reps..
    Quote Originally Posted by corpx View Post
    I hate swapping the cable back and forth between PC and Touchstone, so I want to buy a spare one. From what I've read, not all microUSB ones work with the touchstone, so any idea on where to buy one for cheap?

It's criminal how Palm doesnt include the cable with the Touchstone kit.
    I ended up purchasing a couple on E-Bay for about 8 bucks a piece. What you're looking for is the traveling charging cable which is the one that comes with the phone that they tell you to use with the Touchstone. If you do a search on E-Bay for Palm Pre accessories or charging cables you should see them. They are easy to spot from the E-Bay item photos as they are the only one's with the small silver button that faces up when you plug them in...They also unplug from the round A/C receptacle then become a synch cord for PC.
    I purchase them in lots of 10 off ebay. Have had no problem with the CHEEP ones. I give them to my computer or Home theater customers so they can just do simple hook ups. I have them on two touchstones. And yes Monoprice will have the better quality and great prices. I have spent a few thousand with them and only had one problem. That got fixed FAST!. Great company. But for this cable I just buy the cheep ones.
    Global Posts
    211 Global Posts
    Is it a standard size that's compatible with a lot of devices? I had what I thought was a micro usb cable for a camera that doesn't fit.

I know there is regilar USB, then a smaller USB that I though was Mini USB, and then the Micro which is smaller yet? Is that right?

I pray it's not some size that will only fit the Pre and Touchstone. I thought I was getting a standard compatible size, it was a big selling point to me.
    There are mini-USB and micro-USB. The Pre uses the micro version which is the same width and a tiny bit thinner. My daugher's phone (a Motorola U9) uses the same connector and all the same cables seem to work. Unfortunately all my other 'standard connector' devices use mini-USB (sat nav, mp3 player etc) but it does seem like micro-USB is becoming normal on recent devices.

I bought a Ronson emergency charger thing this week (a couple of quid in Maplins) which came with about 6 short cables for different phones. One was mini-USB and one was micro-USB, it charges the Pre just fine.

EDIT: There is another type of similar sized connector I have seen on the odd camera, I'm not sure what it is and I have never found a suitable cable for it.
    Last edited by andyhurley; 02/18/2010 at 08:42 AM.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast