Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 22
  1.    #1  
    So I am debating switching from my current HTC Droid Eris (using the android 1.5 OS). I selected this phone because at the time it was the least expensive and smallest smartphone VZW had, and there was nothing that I really loved.

    Each phone has things going for it.

    The Palm Pre Plus, Pluses"
    1 - a hard keyboard that I like (I hate the Moto Droid keyboard)
    2 - a gorgeous and elegant UI, that makes me drool.

    Minuses
    1. No Documents to Go or any other Word processing app/Excel app available for Palm
    2. No google navigation. There is VZNav but that is an extra $15 bucks a month. No way I am paying for that when I can use the google maps navigator for free on an android device.
    3. Right now in the smarthphone development comunity Palm seems to be the bottom of the priority list. Case in point DocToGo has a working app for every other smartphone os out there. I do not need a lot of add ons for my phone, but the ones I need are important. I do not want to always be the last to get what I need (still waiting for epocrates, although so is everyone but BB and iphone).

    I wrote a similar post in another thread but thought it would be more appropriate here.

    See my other post

    So tell me pre lovers, do I stick with my android or do I jump ship to Palm Pre Plus.

    thanks
    -spg
  2. #2  
    Docs2Go has said they are actively working on an app for the Pre. As it stands now, you can open and read word docs just fine, you just can't edit them.

    Epocrates is on the way, and Lexi-Comp is currently available for the Pre.

    I have GPS in my car, so the lack of Google Nav really isn't a big deal for me, plus I am on sprint, so agian, not a big deal with the free Nav I get.
    Master Pants, Lord of the Universe, Groupie of Blaize

    Need help with your webOS device? PM me for help!
  3. #3  
    Well I was choosing between the two and this why I chose the pre+
    1. Physical Keyboard is awesome and way better than the droid's waste of space.

    2. The os operating system is awesome

    3. The phone is awesome imo.

    4. You have google maps which isn't as great as google nav but hey it's your call. An all touch phone just can't type the way I need it to.
  4. #4  
    AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK $the$ $basic$ $Google$ $Maps$ $app$ $that$ $comes$ $on$ $the$ $phone$ ($at$ $least$ $with$ $Sprint$, $can$'$t$ $speak$ $to$ $VZW$) $does$ $provide$ $navigation$. $I$ $use$ $SprintNav$ '$cause$ $I$ $have$ $for$ $years$ $and$ $like$ $it$, $but$ $I$'$ve$ $tried$ $the$ $Google$ $Maps$ $and$ $it$ $works$ $to$. $Does$ $the$ $VZW$ $Pre$+ $not$ $have$ $Google$ $Maps$?

    EDIT: ddonahueiup, you answered my question as I was typing it. Heh.
    Blaize, Mistress of Verbosity



    Be nice until it's time to not be nice.--Dalton, "Roadhouse"
  5. #5  
    alright, negatives first.
    1: like its been said its on its way, whenever that is. I have a laptop so i wouldn't really use that function often, on my old zire 72 I used it everyday though with a fold up keyboard. If you absolutely need that be aware that there are currently no external keyboards available for the pre so you would be typing on its smallish keyboard.

    2: The Google maps application can be used decently enough, iv used it several times while driving to have an idea when to turn, the sprint nav is alright don't know about Verizon take on it and if its worth it. a tom tom goes for just under 100 bucks now?

    TomTom ONE 130 3.5-Inch Portable GPS Navigator, on amazon for 70

    3: I wouldn't call us at the bottom of the list, the app catalog may not be as heavy as the Iphone or the android cluster but it is still growing every day.

    positives:
    the pre is amazing, my first smart phone ever and Im so glad it is, its nice to not have the run of the mill Iphone but still be able to beet one for features! The keyboard is so nice having tactile feedback while typing is important! i don't sms much but I can do about 30-40 wpm.

    I hope to see you become part of the family here.
  6. #6  
    I've been with Verizon for years and using the Pre for a whole 2 weeks now (so I'm no expert). I can tell you this though. I love the Pre. In the past I've used a Palm 700p and a Storm. What I've learned is that "intuitiveness" is way underrated and is my number one criteria for choosing a phone. In fact, I looked at the Droid's and what I found (and read on forums like this one) is that the Droid has a huge learning curve. When all is said and done no matter what features your phone has it has to be something you can use and use easily.

    My biggest hurdle coming from the Storm is that I don't use the Pre to it's full potential. I keep closing the apps after I'm done with them! It's a whole new world to have a truly multi-tasking phone.

    I use Google Maps and like the directions and the traffic features but I'm not one to use mapping much though so I'm not a great judge of that.

    Good Luck, choose the Pre you won't be sorry.
  7. #7  
    BTW, did we all mention that the Pre is addictive? Trust me...I play with my Pre more than I've ever played with any other phone, 'cause it's fun!
    Blaize, Mistress of Verbosity



    Be nice until it's time to not be nice.--Dalton, "Roadhouse"
  8. #8  
    have an appointment with Verizon tomorrow. Need to be talked in-out of this too...

    I am thinking of giving the Pixi plus a shot to be honest.
  9. #9  
    My history of smartphones is mostly PalmOS devices and then WebOS. I found myself almost immediately comfortable on WebOS despite that is is wildly different than any PalmOS phone. WebOS was much more natural (and like a computer) for me. The Linux operating system that it's based on is well hidden (but there if you like to hack or if you want to really understand what your phone is doing). I wouldn't switch to any Android device at the current time (unless I was working for Google). I'd say you should make the jump, try the Pre for a month, and sell your Droid while it's still worth some money!
    I'm both super! ... and a doer!
  10.    #10  
    Thanks for all the responses guys and girls.

    I think I have made my decision, which is basically see where epocrates lands first (Android or WebOS). ePocrates is the single most important piece of software I need on my phone and currently not available on either so I have to carry around my iTouch along with my phone (I hate needing multiple devices).

    Quote Originally Posted by Complex Pants View Post
    Docs2Go has said they are actively working on an app for the Pre. As it stands now, you can open and read word docs just fine, you just can't edit them.

    Epocrates is on the way, and Lexi-Comp is currently available for the Pre.
    I know this, but what worries me is that even data viz, who has been working with Palm for ages, has opted to develop for Web OS behind all the other smart phone OS's out there. I can trace DataViz's claim to be working on a WebOS version back to last september, but still no app, and no suggested release date.

    Quote Originally Posted by ddonahueiup View Post
    Well I was choosing between the two and this why I chose the pre+
    1. Physical Keyboard is awesome and way better than the droid's waste of space.

    2. The os operating system is awesome

    3. The phone is awesome imo.

    4. You have google maps which isn't as great as google nav but hey it's your call. An all touch phone just can't type the way I need it to.
    I agree with you on all counts. Re #4, I had never been a GPS person, but in the 3 months that I have had my eris, I have started using it regularly. It is actually not the true google nav as the eris is still running 1.5, but it is directions laid out with a GPS marker that shows where I am and what direction I am heading. Should the eris ever get upgraded to 2.x then I would have true google nav.

    Mostly, I do not want to have to add $15 to my bill to use something that I can get for free right now.

    Quote Originally Posted by KeeganDoomFire View Post
    alright, negatives first.
    3: I wouldn't call us at the bottom of the list, the app catalog may not be as heavy as the Iphone or the android cluster but it is still growing every day.

    positives:
    the pre is amazing, my first smart phone ever and Im so glad it is, its nice to not have the run of the mill Iphone but still be able to beet one for features! The keyboard is so nice having tactile feedback while typing is important! i don't sms much but I can do about 30-40 wpm.

    I hope to see you become part of the family here.
    I really hope it is not on the bottom of the list. I really miss having a keyboard (the moto droid keyboard was awful imo). And I like palm, I was a loyal palm user for ages. My treo 755 was killing me though, so in nov. I got a new phone.

    Had I known that VZW was getting the Palm Pre this soon I would have waited. But having had the eris for a few months I have gotten used to some of it's advantages. The only functional reason for me to switch to palm right now is the keyboard, but without DocToGo or some equivalent editing software half the need for the hard keyboard is gone.

    Quote Originally Posted by smoke93 View Post
    What I've learned is that "intuitiveness" is way underrated and is my number one criteria for choosing a phone. In fact, I looked at the Droid's and what I found (and read on forums like this one) is that the Droid has a huge learning curve. When all is said and done no matter what features your phone has it has to be something you can use and use easily.

    Good Luck, choose the Pre you won't be sorry.
    Thanks. I agree that WebOS is more intuitive then android. The Eris has HTC Sense UI overlaid so it is a little prettier then stock android, but there was definitely a learning curve. Being a bit of a tech dweeb, I kind of liked learning android. Even if I ditch this phone I will be glad I used it for a while.

    Quote Originally Posted by Blaize View Post
    BTW, did we all mention that the Pre is addictive? Trust me...I play with my Pre more than I've ever played with any other phone, 'cause it's fun!
    I am sure it would be, but for me most smart phones are. The BF keeps griping at me for playing with my phone when we are hanging out.

    Quote Originally Posted by bulls96 View Post
    have an appointment with Verizon tomorrow. Need to be talked in-out of this too...

    I am thinking of giving the Pixi plus a shot to be honest.
    Good luck!
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by sudoer View Post
    . . . I'd say you should make the jump, try the Pre for a month, and sell your Droid while it's still worth some money!
    Since this is an HTC Droid eris (the cheap HTC phone, rather then the pricey Moto phone) I am not sure that it is really going to be worth much money. No where near the $600 I will have to lay out to make the switch right now (3 months into a new phone).

    Good to know you are all happy with your choice!

    Again thanks to everyone, reading through all your responses has helped me clear my head. I am rooting for epocrates to come out on WebOS either first or at least simultaneously with the android release.

    -spg
  12. spare's Avatar
    Posts
    662 Posts
    Global Posts
    664 Global Posts
    #12  
    I didn't think google nav worked on the eris. I think there's a hack to get sprint nav but not sure.

    we should be first to get flash and are second on the 3d games front despite being the newest os. Once the pdk hits, it should be easy to dev for webos at the same time as iphone.

    edit: given your need for docs and epocrates, now may not be the time for you to switch.
    Last edited by spare; 02/13/2010 at 06:26 PM.
  13. #13  
    One thing you aren't factoring into your decision is the Palm PDK. From what we have seen its a relatively simple migration to take an iphone app recompile it and have it on the Pre. It means simple migration for many developers especially since the resolution is identical to the iphone. Once this PDK is public (not just to specific players like EA and gameloft) in march the amount of migration should be insane.
  14. #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by spgiva View Post
    Since this is an HTC Droid eris (the cheap HTC phone, rather then the pricey Moto phone) I am not sure that it is really going to be worth much money. No where near the $600 I will have to lay out to make the switch right now (3 months into a new phone).
    This is a really good reason to stay with the droid. If you can get a Pre Plus for somewhere between $200-$300 (like on eBay) then it's an option, but not for $600. Your criteria sounds pretty reasonable and you are smart not to let emotion get the better part of your wallet!
    I'm both super! ... and a doer!
  15. emuneee's Avatar
    Posts
    96 Posts
    Global Posts
    123 Global Posts
    #15  
    I say wait a couple weeks/months and see where the Pre goes. I wouldn't spend $600 on a phone that didn't have everything I needed. (Sorry, potential & promises don't count when that type of money is involved.)
  16. #16  
    nah.
  17. #17  
    If you definitely need epocrates like many of us do, you can also try PEPID, i've been pleasantly surprised with it, but still waiting for my epocrates to come out.
  18. #18  
    I'd say that you'll start to see a lot more app developers stand up and take notice of webOS now that it's available on VZW & soon to be at&t. MUCH bigger opportunity there.
  19. #19  
    I've had my real problems with the same decision. Here are some important factors:

    1) If you email a lot, I find that a hardware keyboard is invaluable. Add extra points for portrait over landscape.

    2) None of the Andoid phones have a good hardware keyboard and they are all landscape. Virtuals are terrible and good only for short amounts of typing.

    Just IMHO if email is very important for you.
  20. #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by spgiva View Post
    ...

    I agree with you on all counts. Re #4, I had never been a GPS person, but in the 3 months that I have had my eris, I have started using it regularly. It is actually not the true google nav as the eris is still running 1.5, but it is directions laid out with a GPS marker that shows where I am and what direction I am heading. Should the eris ever get upgraded to 2.x then I would have true google nav.

    Mostly, I do not want to have to add $15 to my bill to use something that I can get for free right now.

    ...
    You have this capability on the Pre. In Google maps you "Get Directions", then "View on map", and then you have a moving map display with your current position dynamically displayed on the route on a "north is up" oriented map.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions