1.    #1  
    I wanted to see what people felt about preware and patches. I'm not tech savvy and thought some of these patches were pretty cool, but I've had no luck at all in getting this preware working. Is it even worth dealing with? I've read a lot of posts about issues with it. If you're not tech savvy like myself, is it just more of a pain to deal with? From my experience, preware isn't easy to deal with if you're not tech savvy. In other words, if something goes wrong, you really have to know your stuff to fix it, right?

If my lingo is off, I apologize.
    I haven't heard of anyone having problems with preware lately. What are you struggling with?
    Global Posts
    751 Global Posts
    You don't really need to be "tech savvy" to use Preware, you just need to be able to follow directions. You don't need to "really know your stuff" if you do screw something up, that's what WebOS Doctor is for.

If you are having trouble, there is plenty of help available here.
    Global Posts
    62 Global Posts
    WebOS Dr. will fix anything that may go wrong. I've had my Pre since it launched and used it twice so far on my phone as well as my wifes and a buddies with out any issues. All you do is run Dr. and do what it tells you to do. WebOS Dr. is developed by Palm so updated versions are launched a day or two after any WebOS updates are released to the public.

As far as Preware and patches...I love them and honestly don't think I would have kept my Pre if it weren't for them as well as all the people at PC and Web-OS Internals. Patches allow you to customize your phone to your needs in so many ways it's crazy. I hate all the random sounds the phones makes when I pug it in to charge or miss a call and patches allow me to disable all of them. I have over 100 patches which may be a little over kill but my wife is not tech savvy but still has 20 something patches on her Pre.
    Global Posts
    11 Global Posts
    youtube..com/user/chexmix222#p/u/2/g0n2F__V-80

It's easier than you think and some of the patches may be useful for you. It's "almost impossible" to brick your Pre (or so I've heard). The installation isn't complicated if you follow this walkthrough, it helped me a lot.
  6.    #7  
    -yesterday I downloaded WebOSQuickInstall.jar and webOSDoctor.jar. They are on my desktop right now. I also downloaded Java. When I double clicked WebOSQuickInstall.jar nothing would happen, other than a little icon popping up at the bottom bar on my mac, and then going away a second later. I rebooted, same thing, nothing happens. icon pops up and goes away.

-today, just for good measure, I googled "Java 1.6 mac". clicked on the first link, and hit download. it downloaded then asked about downloading something else, a package perhaps? not sure. something called "Java For Mac OS X 10.5 Update 1" shows up on my desktop, I click on that and it goes to something called "JavaForMacOSX10.5Update1.pkg". I click on that and get "Open Failed.... requires Mac OS X 10.5". I check my version and I have version 10.4.11. So I google "mac OS 10.5" and go to the third link down and click download, assuming I'm downloading a new mac OS to get me up to 10.5. it downloads and then asks about downloading something else, as it did before. anyway, another icon appears on my desktop called Mac OS X 10.5.3 Update. I click on that and it takes me to and icon called "MacOSXUpd 10.5.3pkg. I click on that and get "Open Failed.... requires Mac OS X 10.5"

-at this point, i'm not mad. for real, i'm not. but some of these patches look really cool and i have really bad luck with this tech stuff. As much as you want to think it's intuitive, it's not, for me atleast. Right now, I have 7 icons on my desktop that have done absolutely nothing. any ideas as to how I can get this back on track.
  7.    #8  
    reposting what i wrote above. any ideas?
    Global Posts
    161 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by daisy96 View Post
    -yesterday I downloaded WebOSQuickInstall.jar and webOSDoctor.jar. They are on my desktop right now. I also downloaded Java. When I double clicked WebOSQuickInstall.jar nothing would happen, other than a little icon popping up at the bottom bar on my mac, and then going away a second later. I rebooted, same thing, nothing happens. icon pops up and goes away.

-today, just for good measure, I googled "Java 1.6 mac". clicked on the first link, and hit download. it downloaded then asked about downloading something else, a package perhaps? not sure. something called "Java For Mac OS X 10.5 Update 1" shows up on my desktop, I click on that and it goes to something called "JavaForMacOSX10.5Update1.pkg". I click on that and get "Open Failed.... requires Mac OS X 10.5". I check my version and I have version 10.4.11. So I google "mac OS 10.5" and go to the third link down and click download, assuming I'm downloading a new mac OS to get me up to 10.5. it downloads and then asks about downloading something else, as it did before. anyway, another icon appears on my desktop called Mac OS X 10.5.3 Update. I click on that and it takes me to and icon called "MacOSXUpd 10.5.3pkg. I click on that and get "Open Failed.... requires Mac OS X 10.5"

-at this point, i'm not mad. for real, i'm not. but some of these patches look really cool and i have really bad luck with this tech stuff. As much as you want to think it's intuitive, it's not, for me atleast. Right now, I have 7 icons on my desktop that have done absolutely nothing. any ideas as to how I can get this back on track.
    OSX 10.4 is Tiger

OSX 10.5 is Leopard

it's like trying to upgrade from Windows XP to Windows Vista, you can't just download one quick file for an upgrade like that, that in itself is a process and I believe the point at which you are getting stuck. I don't have a mac so I'm not sure if the webos quickinstall stuff is Tiger-compatible or not, someone else would have to answer that.
    The Pre isn't even the same phone to me without my patches. Shout out to webos-internals.org for making such an amazing and easy to use patch utility. Patches are what turn the Pre from "Smartphone" to "Superphone" to me (lol...Palmcast reference).

As others have stated, if you can follow simple directions you can use preware.
  10.    #11  
    think of me as the test dummy. Since I am not very tech savvy or I don't have the right equipment, if I can't get something to work, i wouldn't consider it easy.

I still like the phone, don't get me wrong.
    You can't do it on Tiger. Tiger doesn't support the latest java required for the things to work. You'd have to install Preware from another computer.
    Only way you can use Java 1.6 on Mac OS 10.4 is via Soylatte which only works on some computers.
    If you've liked my software, please consider to towards future development.

Developer of many apps such as: WebOS Quick Install, WebOS Theme Builder, Ipk Packager, Unified Diff Creator, Internalz Pro, ComicShelf HD, LED Torch, over 70 patches and more.

@JayCanuck @CanuckCoding Facebook
    Quote Originally Posted by daisy96 View Post
    think of me as the test dummy. Since I am not very tech savvy or I don't have the right equipment, if I can't get something to work, i wouldn't consider it easy.

I still like the phone, don't get me wrong.
    Use a friend's MS PC.