Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    So I am on my 3rd Verizon pre Plus in less than 30 days! The first one had a speck of dust of something under the screen and I got it replaced the very first day. I was using my second one this morning when out of nowhere the screen went black and the device wouldn't turn back on. I tried all of the usual tricks (remove battery, plug in, etc.). The battery had a full charge. So we'll see how this one goes. I also had the Sprint Pre when it first came out and I only went through two devices in six months. The power button stopped working on the first one after a couple of months.
    there are a few lemons out there...
    There always seems to be people on this forum that have gone through a million phones, but there are those of us who still have ones from launch and have no issues. I would bet those without problems far outnumber those who have been unlucky.

I have even dropped my phone on the hard floor a couple times and nothing has happened to it.
    don't get me wrong, I am a big fan of the phone but I do agree that the phone itself is made of poor quality materials. I'm on my 3rd pre (first one was my fault, I dropped it on the ground and the screen broke), however I used to drop my htc once a week and nothing.
    Quote Originally Posted by zx600 View Post
    don't get me wrong, I am a big fan of the phone but I do agree that the phone itself is made of poor quality materials. I'm on my 3rd pre (first one was my fault, I dropped it on the ground and the screen broke), however I used to drop my htc once a week and nothing.
    So when you buy a car and hit something and the fender dents to you go back to the dealership and want a new car?
    Global Posts
    62 Global Posts
    I had one problem with the phone I have now. It just went black and it had a fully charged battery so off to verizon I went(shaking the whole way ...I need my fix). They pulled my battery and reinserted it and it worked (I didn't try that ? only did it a few hundred time with my blackberry storm). She replaced the battery just in case I had a faulty one and it hasn't given me any problems since. I also had only one storm and it worked great but heard a ton of others who had many problems.
    Global Posts
    88 Global Posts
    I've dropped my pre at least 5 times. I have a bad habit of keeping it on my lap when I drive and sometimes I forget its there. Once i got out fast and even kicked it as it dropped. Still works great, I have one of those really good screen protectors on it that doesn't scratch but its still my launch day pre. Some people just have really bad luck with electronics imo. I know a few people that will just touch things and they will break.
    Global Posts
    102 Global Posts
    I have a Palm Pre Plus and have had no problems with it. Great phone and I feel it is built solid.
    Global Posts
    25 Global Posts
    i have had my pre since the 2nd week it came out... abuse the living hell out of it (dont treat it like a fancy touch screen) and yet still have yet to have any issues that all these people who go thru phones have. lol i do have many nicks and scratches and stuff... but nothing that keeps me from using it.
    Quote Originally Posted by joshewah View Post
    There always seems to be people on this forum that have gone through a million phones, but there are those of us who still have ones from launch and have no issues. I would bet those without problems far outnumber those who have been unlucky.

I have even dropped my phone on the hard floor a couple times and nothing has happened to it.
    Same here, matter of fact I just accidentally stepped on the USB charger cord and it fell on the ground while reading this. Haha.
    Its weird how some people seem to go through multiple phones and I mean 5+ and still have problems. Is it that some locations are getting crappy recylced phones and others are not. It just doesnt make any sense. By the way I have had only two Pres and I screwed up the first one myself (forgot my pin so it wiped the phone). Neither one had any buidl quality issues.
    Could be the way you treat it, or as they might call it "tough love".
    I'm on my 4th phone since receiving one from Verizon Online on Tuesday (6 days ago). The volume down key did not work on my first. The second phone worked fine for a day and then the radio crapped out and couldn't find Verizon anymore. The third phone seemed like a repackaged phone when I got it. Fortunately for me, I couldn't type the "c" in my email address while restoring my backup so I was able to swap it on the spot in the store. The salesperson was able to type a c by cramming the key down and was irritated that I didn't find that acceptable enough. The 4th one seems ok, but I am worried about going beyond the 30 day mark with the luck I've had so far. The salesperson actually pressured me into buying a different phone and was irritated that I wanted to continue swapping phones until I got one that worked. Verizon is definitely not being a friend to the pre as far as i can tell.

I'm definitely a fan of this phone so far. I'm just worried about build quality and what that means for the future of Palm. I can say that most people would not have the patience (or optimism) to wait for a working phone before giving up on it altogether.
    Quote Originally Posted by onyoursix View Post
    I've dropped my pre at least 5 times. I have a bad habit of keeping it on my lap when I drive and sometimes I forget its there. Once i got out fast and even kicked it as it dropped.
    I do the exact thing, actually I've already done it to the pre and pixi lol. Both still from launch though, no issues here.
    I think the problem phones are actually few and far between, people are just more likely to gripe when somethings wrong. If everyone that had no issues got on here and made a thread I'm sure everyone would be like "Wow, Palms quality is great"
    Quote Originally Posted by dsalonius View Post
    I'm on my 4th phone since receiving one from Verizon Online on Tuesday (6 days ago). The volume down key did not work on my first. The second phone worked fine for a day and then the radio crapped out and couldn't find Verizon anymore. The third phone seemed like a repackaged phone when I got it. Fortunately for me, I couldn't type the "c" in my email address while restoring my backup so I was able to swap it on the spot in the store. The salesperson was able to type a c by cramming the key down and was irritated that I didn't find that acceptable enough. The 4th one seems ok, but I am worried about going beyond the 30 day mark with the luck I've had so far. The salesperson actually pressured me into buying a different phone and was irritated that I wanted to continue swapping phones until I got one that worked. Verizon is definitely not being a friend to the pre as far as i can tell.

I'm definitely a fan of this phone so far. I'm just worried about build quality and what that means for the future of Palm. I can say that most people would not have the patience (or optimism) to wait for a working phone before giving up on it altogether.

For me I just like to think it could only get better.
    I would rather have the Pre, than have the iPhone
    The iPhone has all these features but nothing ever really BIG comes out for it.

With the Pre, webOS is really new, and has a lot of potential.
    Especially with flash coming out, it's going to get big.
  16.    #16  
    So after using my 3rd Pre Plus for a day now, I've discovered that it has a crap screen. No less than 12 stuck pixels. Most of them aren't visible but 4 or 5 are very clearly visible on white screens. It is very irritating, but at least the keyboard is working much better on this one.
    I don't understand why people whose phone broke on them more than 2-3 times keep the same kind of phone. If my Pixi was to break on me 2-3 times I wouldn't have this phone. Let alone stay with the company. Stories like this is what make me think people on here are lying about their phones.
    Quote Originally Posted by zulfaqar621 View Post
    Its weird how some people seem to go through multiple phones and I mean 5+ and still have problems. Is it that some locations are getting crappy recycled phones and others are not.
    After about the 3rd replacement (for people with attitude problems), I'm sure they get whatever junk is left in the drawer just to get them out of the store. People who try to solve their own problems first usually get a little more help and understanding from the repair techs or store managers when this is needed.
    I'm both super! ... and a doer!
    Quote Originally Posted by max.swell View Post
    there are a few lemons out there...
    Well actually, there are a lot. It just depends upon how much each pre owner is willing to put up with in their new phone.

I'm waiting for the second iteration of web os. or the palm pre 2, if you will ( and I will!) lol.

Passed up the pre. no thanks.

my wishlist for the pre 2
    1) large comfortable keyboard
    2) large 480 x 320 screen
    3) zippy response time
    4) vastly improved PIM (calendar, memo, task, etc)
    5) better reception - pre drops calls too much.
    6) no slider.. I want a candybar phone
    7) vastly improved battery life - at least equivalent to the 755p battery
    8) wifi
    9) HARDWARE MUST BE HIGH QUALITY. Palm: see the droid.

Do that, and I will buy a palm again.
    Otherwise, I'm not buying cheap plastic
    Quote Originally Posted by treobk214 View Post
    Well actually, there are a lot. It just depends upon how much each pre owner is willing to put up with in their new phone.
    I can agree with that I went through enough of them! I think one of the major problems is most people just deal with the problems and pass them up as normal. In the end if enough people don't complain and make problems public they just simple will never get fixed or changed.

People hiding in the shadows don't help make better products.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast